more union BS. MTA workers caught sleeping on the job get 30 day suspension.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

tk149

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2002
Over the years I have worked with and known people in non-union shops who either fell asleep or just flat out went to sleep on 3rd shift and they were not fired.

Were they caught? Was their punishment as lenient?

Jul 10, 2007
oh god. We have been over this. I wouldn't want to live in Manhattan for anything less then 100k.

do you really think everyone in nyc lives in manhattan or do you like to assume stupid shit like that?
news flash for you. there's 4 other boroughs in "NYC" that you can live comfortably on $60k.

or do you think everyone is entitled to live in rich communities regardless of their income?

Feb 19, 2001
oh god. We have been over this. I wouldn't want to live in Manhattan for anything less then 100k.

people dont work unskilled labor for $60k and LIVE in manhattan. you live somewhere else and you make the damn commute. its obvious the bus drivers in San Francisco don't deal with the ridiculous housing there either. they probably live in the low income subsidized housing or they're really grossly overpaid :D

the point is its rich folk living in manhattan anyway. otherwise you would find another borough. or you're living paycheck to paycheck. $60k is overpaid for unskilled labor.

IGBT

Lifer
Jul 16, 2001
$60k for unskilled labor is called OVERPAID. i don't care if that doesn't amount to much in NYC (truth is, you can definitely get by in NYC on that salary).
wages have to match the job performed, not just the cost of living.

and yes, on top of that, they get great benefits and retire early with pension and lifetime HC.
they are bleeding the city/state dry.

but we're getting OT. the point is, these lowlifes should've been fired, not just suspended.

do the math. by the time you pay all the liberal taxes in NY, at 60 k you don't have a pot to pzz in.

classy

Lifer
Oct 12, 1999
Were they caught? Was their punishment as lenient?

Yea they were caught. 3 come to mind that were not union workers. Only one of them got fired, but he had done it numerous times. In the case of these workers, being suspended 30 days without pay is not lenient at all. Short of being fired, it doesn't get much more severe than that. They lost an entire months' worth of pay. That is a lot of money.

Last edited:

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
$60k for unskilled labor is called OVERPAID.
I don't know exactly what their job entails but I'm sure it's more than just being a janitor or delivering pizza. I'd assumes it's as skilled as your average paper pushing mid level exec but I could be wrong.

Jul 10, 2007
people dont work unskilled labor for $60k and LIVE in manhattan. you live somewhere else and you make the damn commute. its obvious the bus drivers in San Francisco don't deal with the ridiculous housing there either. they probably live in the low income subsidized housing or they're really grossly overpaid :D

the point is its rich folk living in manhattan anyway. otherwise you would find another borough. or you're living paycheck to paycheck. $60k is overpaid for unskilled labor.

yup. i'm willing to bet 80% of the people that work in manhattan do not live there.
and judging from what i see, i'm willing to bet 90% of the MTA unionites do not live in there.

Jul 10, 2007
another delusional goof that fails to realize the cost of living.

i lived in NYC, long island (nassau), central NJ, north NJ, CT and still live in the region.
i currently own an apt. in an outer nyc borough and a condo in NJ and rent a place in CT now. i got by when i was "only" making $50k a few years ago.
you?

MJinZ

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 2009
$60k for unskilled labor is called OVERPAID. i don't care if that doesn't amount to much in NYC (truth is, you can definitely get by in NYC on that salary).
wages have to match the job performed, not just the cost of living.

and yes, on top of that, they get great benefits and retire early with pension and lifetime HC.
they are bleeding the city/state dry.

but we're getting OT. the point is, these lowlifes should've been fired, not just suspended.

Should be criminal. Tax fraud basically.

MJinZ

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 2009
another delusional goof that fails to realize the cost of living.

LOL, my first job was on Wall St, lived in LES for $1k/month for basically a room that wasn't really a room (a living room cut in half), making around $40K...

You can't save much but FUCK everyone who doesn't know shit about cost of living because I ate out every meal and slept about 5 hours every day (NYC lifestyle) and did fine.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
do you really think everyone in nyc lives in manhattan or do you like to assume stupid shit like that?
news flash for you. there's 4 other boroughs in "NYC" that you can live comfortably on $60k.

or do you think everyone is entitled to live in rich communities regardless of their income?

No I dont think everyone lives in Manhattan. I'm sure these people live in greenpoint or redhook or queens and commute into work. It still costs a lot to live in these areas.

I'm saying for ME I wouldnt live in Manhattan for less then 100k. 60k seems like the minimum to raise a family in the area.

Jul 10, 2007
No I dont think everyone lives in Manhattan. I'm sure these people live in greenpoint or redhook or queens and commute into work. It still costs a lot to live in these areas.

I'm saying for ME I wouldnt live in Manhattan for less then 100k. 60k seems like the minimum to raise a family in the area.

and as for ME, i don't like pepperoni on my pizza.
WTF does that have to do with anything?

let me break down the argument for you since you seem to have trouble following.

Red: $60k isn't enough to live on in NYC
Me: Point is $60k is a lot for unskilled labor, and actually yes, you can get by with $60k in NYC
YOU: well... i wouldn't live in manhattan for anything under $100k
Me: who the fuck gives a shit about what you would or would not do?

and apparently, i can tell you still believe everyone is entitled to shit. just because you can't afford it, doesn't mean your compensation should be raised in order for you to do so.
go fucking get a better job, get a roommate, live somewhere cheaper, or all of the above. wtf is so hard to understand?

Last edited:

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
and as for ME, i don't like pepperoni on my pizza.
WTF does that have to do with anything?

let me break down the argument for you since you seem to have trouble following.

Red: $60k isn't enough to live on in NYC
Me: Point is $60k is a lot for unskilled labor, and actually yes, you can get by with $60k in NYC
YOU: well... i wouldn't live in manhattan for anything under $100k
Me: who the fuck gives a shit about what you would or would not do?

I was commenting on the cost of living in the area. Look at it like this - wtf do you do all day at work that you can sit in P&N and complain about some other poor schmuck? Shouldn't you be fired? And before you flip that on me; I own my company I do what I want and I've been working for the last 20 days straight.

Jul 10, 2007
I was commenting on the cost of living in the area. Look at it like this - wtf do you do all day at work that you can sit in P&N and complain about some other poor schmuck? Shouldn't you be fired? And before you flip that on me; I own my company I do what I want and I've been working for the last 20 days straight.

you either have ADD or some form of down syndrome.

you were commenting on your opinion on how much it would take for you to live in manhattan.
that has as much relevance to this thread as me coming in here and saying i don't like red sports cars.

I won't blame you for bringing up CoL (although it's also OT to this thread), since it wasn't you that first brought it up, but i'll address it anyway.
it's apparent to anyone that actually lives here that $60k is more than enough to live on. there's a lot of poor, ghetto fuckers that live in NYC (all boro's).

if my word isn't enough, here are the MEDIAN household incomes of the 5 boroughs from city-data.
Brooklyn: $43,378 (Estimated per capita income in 2008: $23,345)
New York: $51,116 (Estimated per capita income in 2008: $31,245)
Queens: $56,034 (Estimated per capita income in 2008: $25,611)
Bronx: $35,033 (Estimated per capita income in 2008: $17,628)
Staten Island: $73,882 (Estimated per capita income in 2008: $30,223)

fuck man, how the hell do people survive on ONLY $60k???

and nice of you to try to turn this around on me.
if my boss doesn't approve of my time on the internet, he'll let me know by reprimanding me or firing me. he has access to all logs, reports from websense, can put a sniffer on my machine, etc.
all he cares is that i get my work done, and i can assure you that i do and i do it well. i've been here going on 3 years (bonuses/raises every year except one due to the economy, and not my performance).

and also, i work in a private company. my actions have no bearing on the tax payer and riders of the MTA.
the MTA is raising fares every other year. the unions are going on strike demanding more raises, refusing to contribute to their own pensions and medical.
WTF should we be paying more and more money each year to pay the salaries of TWU members while they're sleeping on the job?

lol, you can't even form a coherent argument and you run a company?
well i guess one doesn't need great logic to start a biz..

Last edited:

IGBT

Lifer
Jul 16, 2001
LOL, my first job was on Wall St, lived in LES for $1k/month for basically a room that wasn't really a room (a living room cut in half), making around $40K...

You can't save much but FUCK everyone who doesn't know shit about cost of living because I ate out every meal and slept about 5 hours every day (NYC lifestyle) and did fine.

you guys are amazingly selfish. you fail to realize most people aren't "just starting out" and are years into a marriage with kids to support and raise. It's great you can "get by" on a shoe string. I'm also giving you the benefit of the doubt and conclude your telling the truth. But with massive obama taxes on the horizon more then likely you'll be strangled by your shoe string.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
and nice of you to try to turn this around on me.
if my boss doesn't approve of my time on the internet, he'll let me know by reprimanding me or firing me. he has access to all logs, reports from websense, can put a sniffer on my machine, etc.
all he cares is that i get my work done, and i can assure you that i do and i do it well. i've been here going on 3 years (bonuses/raises every year except one due to the economy, and not my performance).

maybe they get there job done as well?

lol, you can't even form a coherent argument and you run a company?
well i guess one doesn't need great logic to start a biz..

Creativity is all I need. People with logic are easy to find, the schools crank them out year after year.

Jul 10, 2007
you guys are amazingly selfish. you fail to realize most people aren't "just starting out" and are years into a marriage with kids to support and raise.

so having a wife and kids is reason alone to be entitled to such things, like higher wages. sounds very similar to the welfare systems we currently have in place here in the US.

btw, did you see my post where $60k is well above what most HOUSEHOLDS make in the city?

IGBT

Lifer
Jul 16, 2001
so having a wife and kids is reason alone to be entitled to such things, like higher wages. sounds very similar to the welfare systems we currently have in place here in the US.

btw, did you see my post where $60k is well above what most HOUSEHOLDS make in the city?

I never talked about entitlements. I simply stated a fact that most people are struggling and it's not going to get any better. 60k is a shoe string when you factor in the confiscation of earned income under the guise of tax. More then likely you have two incomes per working family earning above 60k just to make ends meet due to earned income confiscation (tax).

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000

So what? Do you have knowledge of how long they have been doing that job and what it entails?

Certainly your own job security should be questioned as you can spend your days wallowing about taxes on a internet forum.

MJinZ

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 2009
you guys are amazingly selfish. you fail to realize most people aren't "just starting out" and are years into a marriage with kids to support and raise. It's great you can "get by" on a shoe string. I'm also giving you the benefit of the doubt and conclude your telling the truth. But with massive obama taxes on the horizon more then likely you'll be strangled by your shoe string.

LOL. Marriage with kids and $60K between 2 people ($30k each) in NYC means you are fucking failures who don't deserve to have kids. This is where NYC tells you to fuck off and go somewhere else because it's already overpopulated.

IGBT

Lifer
Jul 16, 2001
LOL. Marriage with kids and $60K between 2 people ($30k each) in NYC means you are fucking failures who don't deserve to have kids. This is where NYC tells you to fuck off and go somewhere else because it's already overpopulated.

yet another reality challenged, selfish MF. deserves have nothing to do with it. look around. how many people do you see with kids who more then likely would have been better off not having kids. But they are here. Far too many times, getting married and having kids, for many people is simply the next thing to do in their lives. Weather they should or shouldn't has little to do with the outcome.

Jul 10, 2007
yet another reality challenged, selfish MF. deserves have nothing to do with it. look around. how many people do you see with kids who more then likely would have been better off not having kids. But they are here. Far too many times, getting married and having kids, for many people is simply the next thing to do in their lives. Weather they should or shouldn't has little to do with the outcome.

all the fucking time. and we end up subsidizing them through welfare.

and I believe the word you are looking for is 'whether'.