more union BS. MTA workers caught sleeping on the job get 30 day suspension.

Jul 10, 2007
if this happened in any non-union shop, they would've been fired on the spot.
if you're in a union, it's a 30 day suspension without pay.

incidentally, the MTA is raising fares and tolls later this year, probably to pay the salaries of these hard workers.

The transit Rip Van Winkles who got paid by the MTA to sleep in their cars now have 30 days to nap at home.

Subway maintainers Frank Ryan and Robert Malandrino were suspended without pay for a month after The Post revealed them bedded down in their cars instead of going out on assignments.

The suspension will be the entirety of their punishment, NYC Transit spokesman Charles Seaton said.

The Post had seen Ryan and Malandrino leave the crew quarters on Houston Street shortly after they clocked in to work at around 11 p.m. on July 1.

The two men, who each earn about $63,000 annually, returned to their cars, drove them down the street and settled in to sleep.

Naptime isn't just for preschoolers.

The Lower East Side subway-maintenance facility where transit workers were found sleeping on the job has long been a popular snoozing spot for employees charged with monitoring crucial underground ventilation.

"It's incumbent on managers to ensure that all are performing their functions," said Inspector General Barry Kluger.

The trouble there dates back at least two years, when supervisor Edward Billitteri and mechanic Freddie Wright were caught sleeping in a locked office and on a bench when agents from the MTA Inspector General's Office raided the facility.

The IG demanded that NYC Transit brass immediately rectify the problem, but they, too, appeared to be asleep at the controls.

A Post reporter found three transit employees sleeping on the job last week, when they should have been fixing subway hydraulics at the same facility -- accessed through a hole in the sidewalk next to the Angelika Film Center on Houston Street.

Transit brass admitted they still haven't fully addressed the issue.

"It is an ongoing process," said spokesman Paul Fleuranges. "We are making a concerted effort to make sure employees are not stealing time by sleeping on the job."

The MTA tried to fire Billitteri after he was caught napping, but union work rules dictated he go to an arbitrator -- who handed him a 30-day suspension.

Not only was Billitteri catching some winks, but investigators also found he was moonlighting as an electrician for 20 years without MTA knowledge and instructed a subordinate to falsify hourly records.

"In light of the New York Post's findings, it is obvious that more supervision and attention to this issue is necessary," Kluger said.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/manhattan/mta_nap_commission_HjTas0wSlR0IwISpmP5kAK#ixzz0vTYbM5uq

Last edited:

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Public employee unions are going to destroy the country.

No, right-wing ignorant paranoid propagandized nuts are going to destroy the country.

They're the ones supporting the corporatist agenda and militarists' agenda and so on.

Slew Foot

Lifer
Sep 22, 2005
No, right-wing ignorant paranoid propagandized nuts are going to destroy the country.

They're the ones supporting the corporatist agenda and militarists' agenda and so on.

Loliberals, haha

Im actually impressed they arent getting paid. If they were in the police union, theyd get a desk job for a month and still collect a salary.

classy

Lifer
Oct 12, 1999
if this happened in any non-union shop, they would've been fired on the spot.
if you're in a union, it's a 30 day suspension without pay.

incidentally, the MTA is raising fares and tolls later this year, probably to pay the salaries of these hard workers.

Over the years I have worked with and known people in non-union shops who either fell asleep or just flat out went to sleep on 3rd shift and they were not fired.

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
Over the years I have worked with and known people in non-union shops who either fell asleep or just flat out went to sleep on 3rd shift and they were not fired.
If a private company is willing to expend revenues in rewarding such behavior, that is their mistake and loss of productivity. Shame on their management for not addressing such performance issues.

The outrage directed at public employees who engage in similar behavior is not quite the same thing. But it doesn't matter. As more of these stories come to light, with them come some semblance of accountability across the public sector.

Dec 10, 2005

While you might be partially correct, public unions are out of control. I just love these tough times for states, but god forbid we cut any public union jobs/benefits to help balance state budgets. They'd insist on raising taxes on other people first and our gutless politicians kowtow to their demands, just like they do for every other powerful lobbying group.

IGBT

Lifer
Jul 16, 2001
public transportation will get privatized in the near future. It will occur at the maintenance level first then train op's will become obsolete due to technology.

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
Another example of how we're all getting screwed thanks to the unions. Those are our tax dollars getting wasted on those bums.

MovingTarget

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2003
I don't really see what the outrage is seeing as the suspension is without pay. It isn't like we are paying for that. If said employee was found doing that again, union or non-union, they would be fired. Everybody fucks up on occasion. Who here hasn't caught a quick powernap or neffed at work or taken an extended smoke break? Those in glass houses etc etc.

Jul 10, 2007

that's nice.

did they work in the public sector? will your taxes go up due to it?
do you have a choice of not doing business with them if they raised their prices?

did you know that the MTA is raising rates yet again? (tolls/fares were raised just 2 years ago)

RedCOMET

Platinum Member
Jul 8, 2002
I don't really see what the outrage is seeing as the suspension is without pay. It isn't like we are paying for that. If said employee was found doing that again, union or non-union, they would be fired. Everybody fucks up on occasion. Who here hasn't caught a quick powernap or neffed at work or taken an extended smoke break? Those in glass houses etc etc.

They don't get paid, but i'm sure they get their benefits, which does cost somebody money... even if its only partially subsidized.

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004
They don't get paid, but i'm sure they get their benefits, which does cost somebody money... even if its only partially subsidized.

Faux outrage, FTL.

It's obviously a slow news day, since Obama hasn't announced any more vacations.

Patranus

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2007

How does anyone except for the CONSUMER support the corporatist agenda?

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Wow $63,000/year? Plus some nice benefits I'm sure.

Probably nice benies but 63K a year in NYC isn't that great of pay.

Sleeping on the job, especially as blatant as they were should result in immediate dismissal. When I was in the Carpenters Union the Employer could fire you for a lot less and something like that would always result in the person doing it getting canned. Some of these Unions get a little carried away protecting their members and as a result they give all Unions a bad name.

Jul 10, 2007
I think 30 days unpaid is a pretty good punishment.

30 days unpaid is a slap on the wrist in today's economy.

this is a rather common occurrence and a precedence needs to be set to deter others from doing so.

do you not realize they are raising fares again, when the last increase was 2 years ago?
punish the riders by rewarding these union slackers.

Naptime isn't just for preschoolers.

The Lower East Side subway-maintenance facility where transit workers were found sleeping on the job has long been a popular snoozing spot for employees charged with monitoring crucial underground ventilation.

"It's incumbent on managers to ensure that all are performing their functions," said Inspector General Barry Kluger.

The trouble there dates back at least two years, when supervisor Edward Billitteri and mechanic Freddie Wright were caught sleeping in a locked office and on a bench when agents from the MTA Inspector General's Office raided the facility.

The IG demanded that NYC Transit brass immediately rectify the problem, but they, too, appeared to be asleep at the controls.

A Post reporter found three transit employees sleeping on the job last week, when they should have been fixing subway hydraulics at the same facility -- accessed through a hole in the sidewalk next to the Angelika Film Center on Houston Street.

Transit brass admitted they still haven't fully addressed the issue.

"It is an ongoing process," said spokesman Paul Fleuranges. "We are making a concerted effort to make sure employees are not stealing time by sleeping on the job."

The MTA tried to fire Billitteri after he was caught napping, but union work rules dictated he go to an arbitrator -- who handed him a 30-day suspension.

Not only was Billitteri catching some winks, but investigators also found he was moonlighting as an electrician for 20 years without MTA knowledge and instructed a subordinate to falsify hourly records.

"In light of the New York Post's findings, it is obvious that more supervision and attention to this issue is necessary," Kluger said.

Jul 10, 2007
Probably nice benies but 63K a year in NYC isn't that great of pay.

Sleeping on the job, especially as blatant as they were should result in immediate dismissal. When I was in the Carpenters Union the Employer could fire you for a lot less and something like that would always result in the person doing it getting canned. Some of these Unions get a little carried away protecting their members and as a result they give all Unions a bad name.

$60k for unskilled labor is called OVERPAID. i don't care if that doesn't amount to much in NYC (truth is, you can definitely get by in NYC on that salary).
wages have to match the job performed, not just the cost of living.

and yes, on top of that, they get great benefits and retire early with pension and lifetime HC.
they are bleeding the city/state dry.

but we're getting OT. the point is, these lowlifes should've been fired, not just suspended.

Last edited:

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
$60k for unskilled labor is called OVERPAID. i don't care if that doesn't amount to much in NYC (truth is, you can definitely get by in NYC on that salary).
wages have to match the job performed, not just the cost of living.

and yes, on top of that, they get great benefits and retire early with pension and lifetime HC.
they are bleeding the city/state dry.

but we're getting OT. the point is, these lowlifes should've been fired, not just suspended.

oh god. We have been over this. I wouldn't want to live in Manhattan for anything less then 100k.