More students are seeking "forgiveness" of student loans

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

umbrella39

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004
Geez, like a fool I simply put mine in forbearance until I could afford to chip away at it. Never knew I could have been a dick and not paid any of it back...

bfdd

Lifer
Feb 3, 2007
Education indoctrination and the Educational Industry Complex are what created this. LOL @ people who only rage about the MIC.

Ronstang

Lifer
Jul 8, 2000
It is the absence of a free market that is the problem with student loans.

You mean like it used to be? The problem with reality is the liberals cry "racism" and then use the government to try and correct nature. This is just another instance where the government has totally fucked everything up.

I graduated with my MBA from the University of Texas in the Summer of 1992....why does that same degree cost 10X as much only 20 years later? Your not even getting the same quality of education anymore. Where is the cry for windfall profits on the educational institutions? This increase is not mere inflation especially considering Obama tells us there is no inflation.

Mr. Lennon

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2004
I graduated with my MBA from the University of Texas in the Summer of 1992....why does that same degree cost 10X as much only 20 years later? Your not even getting the same quality of education anymore. Where is the cry for windfall profits on the educational institutions? This increase is not mere inflation especially considering Obama tells us there is no inflation.

Over 200 "administrators" are making 200k+ at my school. No one really knows what the fuck these glorified paper pushers are actually doing.

GoPackGo

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2003
Over 200 "administrators" are making 200k+ at my school. No one really knows what the fuck these glorified paper pushers are actually doing.

Probably going to out of town/country seminars on the schools dime.

Baked

Lifer
Dec 28, 2004
This is really not the student's fault. One of my employees is currently looking into fashion design. The job description for this major at the school she's attending is quoting a $48K to $60K starting salary, and that you can complete the degree in as little as 1 year. Fast track to big payoff. Who wouldn't want that. But when reality hits them when they graduate? Sigh... I wish I can offer all my employees more money for all they've gone through and all they're currently going through to achieve their "dream" only to be disappointed.

Mr. Pedantic

Diamond Member
Feb 14, 2010
The wonderful thing about many people who have jobs and make good money is that they look down on those who don't. This happens because they have no real self worth and judge worth as though it had something to do with money. Some of them life will kick in the teeth.

Stupid fvckers. They got degrees that are useless to the soul nor shall they enter the kingdom of heaven. On a pig farm the biggest pig wins. What a victory. Good thing pigs don't know they're pigs. Pigs are loaded with pig pride. But nobody can be blamed because all we've ever know is pigs.

It's important to get a degree in a field that you love, but that's worthless if the field that you love won't be able to support you, because all that will happen is you will end up with a heap of debt and you won't be able to work in said field anyway, because regardless of what you love or don't love, you still have to pay for rent, power, and food, even if you don't have to pay your loan.

drebo

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2006
masters... in graphics design?

that seems like the sort of thing that would be covered by an apprenticeship or something.

Exactly. This should have been "studied" at a vocational high school and he should have been placed in an internship right out of high school. College isn't necessary for this sort of job, and it isn't going to help. And why the hell did he get a Masters anyway? You only get that in this type of field if you want to teach at the college level.

The US needs to bring back vocational high schools and send people who don't need college degrees (plumbers, mechanics, carpenters, secretaries, etc) to them.

bfdd

Lifer
Feb 3, 2007
This is really not the student's fault. One of my employees is currently looking into fashion design. The job description for this major at the school she's attending is quoting a $48K to $60K starting salary, and that you can complete the degree in as little as 1 year. Fast track to big payoff. Who wouldn't want that. But when reality hits them when they graduate? Sigh... I wish I can offer all my employees more money for all they've gone through and all they're currently going through to achieve their "dream" only to be disappointed.

You're right it isn't completely his fault, he's been indoctrinated and lied to by the educational system from 6 years old to 25. Getting sold bullshit dreams and being improperly educated. Blue collar work has been shit on in schools since the get go, they've pimped "LEARN MORE GOTO COLLEGE LONGER GET SMARTER YOU WILL BE WORTH MORE" which is bullshit. You learn by fucking doing, sitting in a library for years on end doesn't accomplish shit except fill your brain with useless information. I say useless because unless you fucking use it, it is useless.