More "Stay the course"

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005
Text

Does this qualify as the captain going down with the ship?? What exactly is our mission again?

No WMDs in Iraq : check
Saddam removed from power : check
Democratically elected govt. : check

Looks like mission already accomplished George!

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Originally posted by: Pens1566
Text

Does this qualify as the captain going down with the ship?? What exactly is our mission again?

If we left now; would the government be able to stand on it's own.

when you can say yes - then we get out. - sound like that is what he is stating.

Conky

Lifer
May 9, 2001
Text

I thought the mission was to keep the fighting and attacks out of the USA. :p

lozina

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001
if the government can't stand on its own then it simply wasn't meant to be.

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
Originally posted by: EagleKeeper

when you can say yes - then we get out. - sound like that is what he is stating.
Why does the government have to be able to stand on its own for us to have won the war? And what is the next goal? Every year the goal changes. When/how will we say we are done? Why can't we have concrete milestones? Saying a government can stand on its own is a wonderful thing, but it is impossible to measure (is any government ever truely 100% stable?). Thus, we can't use that as a milestone.

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005
Great idea. Except it will never stand on its own unless it ends up with someone like Saddam in charge keeping the other 2 groups in line with fear and violence. 51st state, meet Iraq. :(

CaptnKirk

Lifer
Jul 25, 2002
Originally posted by: dullard

Why does the government have to be able to stand on its own for us to have won the war? And what is the next goal? Every year the goal changes. When/how will we say we are done? Why can't we have concrete milestones? Saying a government can stand on its own is a wonderful thing, but it is impossible to measure (is any government ever truely 100% stable?). Thus, we can't use that as a milestone.

Mission Creep - it's turned into a presentation of Metrics.
Useless 'Pie-Charts' and 'Bar-Graphs', like an incompetent CEO likes to see in a boardroom presentation.

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Originally posted by: CaptnKirk
Originally posted by: dullard

Mission Creep - it's turned into a presentation of Metrics.
Useless 'Pie-Charts' and 'Bar-Graphs', like an incompetent CEO likes to see in a boardroom presentation.
True

As much as I feel that it could bite us down the road; we need to let the civil war over there happen. when it was just the government against terror, I would support it. However, the coutnry itself is now being torn apart.

Anything less(by continue to have troops on the ground) is just papering over the fact that we are supporting the same thing that Saddam did. Using force to prevent the civl war that was bubbling in the pressure cooker.

We have just opened the lid so all can see what is inside.

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005
I'm all for letting the civil war happen. WITHOUT our troops being fired on from both sides.

Another quote from the same press conference:

"No question it's tough, no question about it," Bush said at a news conference with Estonian President Toomas Hendrik Ilves. "There's a lot of sectarian violence taking place, fomented in my opinion because of these attacks by al-Qaeda, causing people to seek reprisal."

Text

Al Qaeda plot. Right.

Conky

Lifer
May 9, 2001
I'm all for letting the civil war happen. WITHOUT our troops being fired on from both sides.

"No question it's tough, no question about it," Bush said at a news conference with Estonian President Toomas Hendrik Ilves. "There's a lot of sectarian violence taking place, fomented in my opinion because of these attacks by al-Qaeda, causing people to seek reprisal."

Text

Al Qaeda plot. Right.
So, Al Queda has no plans at all?

Bush may be wrong a lot but he isn't wrong on everything. Al queda is obviously trying to cause as much trouble and anguish as possible by playing both ends against the middle over there.

I think we should leave and let the Iraqi's duke it out amongst theirselves but then Iran would probably just take over anyway. There is no good answer to this mess.

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005
Its widely accepted that almost all of the violence in Iraq at this point is home grown. Something like 4% are "foreign fighters". Use the google if you must. This is Iraqis killing Iraqis.

Conky

Lifer
May 9, 2001
Its widely accepted that almost all of the violence in Iraq at this point is home grown. Something like 4% are "foreign fighters". Use the google if you must. This is Iraqis killing Iraqis.
But somebody is encouraging these Iraqi people to kill other Iraqi's and to what end?

CaptnKirk

Lifer
Jul 25, 2002
Originally posted by: Beachboy

Text

Al Qaeda plot. Right.
So, Al Queda has no plans at all?

Bush may be wrong a lot but he isn't wrong on everything. Al queda is obviously trying to cause as much trouble and anguish as possible by playing both ends against the middle over there.

I think we should leave and let the Iraqi's duke it out amongst theirselves but then Iran would probably just take over anyway. There is no good answer to this mess.

Is this 'Al queda' even the same 'Al queda' that was responsible for 9-11 and was embedded in Afghanisatn?
Or is it a label of 'Al queda-in-Iraq' that we have given them, and they have willingly accepted to use as a recruting tool
for the purpose of uniting all disent in the area against the American led agression that they are surrounded with?

The term 'Al queda' means nothing more than 'Group, Association, or Gathering of people',
our translators like to use the term 'Cell' because it assigns them a Cult Status when viewed from our linguistic definition.

Kinda like GOP meaning 'All Republicans', or Cheese-Heads defining Packers Fans - it's symantic definition.

Just like 30+ years ago in 'Nam - they want us out, so they can handle their own double-crossers in their way, bloody as it will be.

halik

Lifer
Oct 10, 2000
Text

Are we going to cut and run or stay the course?

I love how the gop PR machine turns language into tools of their, well, propaganda for a lack of better explanation. The fact that this phrase made it onto national tv is simply astounding - it's nothing better than a political version of that old joke "Have you stopped beating your wife yet?".

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005
Originally posted by: Beachboy
But somebody is encouraging these Iraqi people to kill other Iraqi's and to what end?

There is no encoouragement needed. Just hundreds of years of repressed mutual hatred.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
For the Iraqi people it now becomes the question---should I stand idly by waiting for the opposite sect to kill me?---or should I kill them before they kill me?

When their own government can't protect them---with the police being the death squads in reality--and the US army does not bother to protect anyone either---then it becomes the job of local strongmen to say join me and I will protect you---as we see fuedalism in action---forming up before our very eyes.

Put yourself in their place---what would you do when you see many of your neighbors die by precisely that form of violence?

GWB&co.had this Mr. patato head strategy for Iraq---remove the head and graft a US friendly head on the body of Iraqi government---and then discovered the whole government went with Saddam. And was unable to cope with that reality---four years ago---4 minutes ago---and I see little to see he is getting real now. GWB has a goal with no strategy to reach it.---and now looks to Daddy's buddies to bail him out of the black hole he has stuck us in..