more states/organizations sue the feds...

NTB

Diamond Member
Mar 26, 2001
More than a dozen states, however, are considering anti-No Child Left Behind legislation this year. On Tuesday, the Utah Legislature passed a measure giving state education standards priority over federal ones imposed by No Child Left Behind.

Isn't passing a state law which supersedes a federal one, well...illegal?

Nate

Cerb

Elite Member
Aug 26, 2000
Originally posted by: NTB
More than a dozen states, however, are considering anti-No Child Left Behind legislation this year. On Tuesday, the Utah Legislature passed a measure giving state education standards priority over federal ones imposed by No Child Left Behind.

Nate
That depends on how much the state is willing to fight for it, I think. Also, it's not clear (rather, I'm not willing to take a CNN article at its face) if the law says what they say it says or not.

daveshel

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999

Nate

Not exactly. States cannot have laws that conflict or contradict federal laws, but states may enact laws that are stricter than or offer more of the same as what similar federal laws deal with.

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
It only takes a few people who dont speak english well to sink your school and give it a failure to pass in enough categories to cause you problems. People who immigrate here do not deserve special treatment because they do not speak english. They should just go get a tutor.

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: Cerb

Nate
That depends on how much the state is willing to fight for it, I think. Also, it's not clear (rather, I'm not willing to take a CNN article at its face) if the law says what they say it says or not.

Actually the NCLB law is real clear, if you want fed funcing, you gotta play by the fed rules. If you dont care about fed funding, you can do whatever you want. It appears they want fed funding to spend however they want.

Tommunist

Golden Member
Dec 1, 2004
Originally posted by: charrison
Originally posted by: Cerb

Nate

Actually the NCLB law is real clear, if you want fed funcing, you gotta play by the fed rules. If you dont care about fed funding, you can do whatever you want. It appears they want fed funding to spend however they want.

The problem is that a lot of money that would otherwise be going into education is being spent to study for and take exams to get fed funding. So in the end it's like some of the fed funding is simply getting pissed away in the whole test taking process - it's a waste of the taxpayers money and it stands to hurt the education of a lot of kids who go to school and work hard.