More Republican Party In-Fighting: Hastert Lectures McCain on Sacrifice, War

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Originally posted by: Corn
Originally posted by: conjur
Ah...no response to the list, eh, alchemize?

Here's my response to that list you halfwitted moron: Why is Bill Clinton missing from that "prominent Democrat" list? Why is John McCain missing form the "prominent Republican" list. Well, because that wouldn't fit in too well with the parrot patrol's sensibilities, would it?

Why not make up a list of every currently serving Senator, Congressman, and cabinet member, then break it down into D's and R's listing who has and has not served in the military and see where that ends.

Somehow I doubt that actually the likes of you Conjur, but that's simply because it would require effort and sheep like you would rather be spoonfed your propaganda........

Seriously, is there such a list?

conjur

No Lifer
Jun 7, 2001

Here's my response to that list you halfwitted moron: Why is Bill Clinton missing from that "prominent Democrat" list?
I wasn't aware that Bill Clinton was still in office or somehow an active member of the administration or a campaign. Interesting.

Why is John McCain missing form the "prominent Republican" list. Well, because that wouldn't fit in too well with the parrot patrol's sensibilities, would it?
*I'm* the "halfwitted moron"? At least *I* can read!!

Senator John McCain - McCain's naval honors include the Silver Star, Bronze Star, Legion of Merit, Purple Heart and Distinguished Flying Cross. Why did the Bush campaign smear him so? At least Senators Cleland (D-GA), Kerry (D-MA), Kerrey (D-NE), Robb (D-VA) and Hagel (R-NE) defended him.

Why not make up a list of every currently serving Senator, Congressman, and cabinet member, then break it down into D's and R's listing who has and has not served in the military and see where that ends.

Somehow I doubt that'll happen with the likes of you Conjur, but that's simply because it would require effort and sheep like you would rather be spoonfed your propaganda........
Go for it...get busy, Skippy!

alchemize

Lifer
Mar 24, 2000

Here's my response to that list you halfwitted moron: Why is Bill Clinton missing from that "prominent Democrat" list? Why is John McCain missing form the "prominent Republican" list. Well, because that wouldn't fit in too well with the parrot patrol's sensibilities, would it?

Somehow I doubt that actually the likes of you Conjur, but that's simply because it would require effort and sheep like you would rather be spoonfed your propaganda........

Said it better than I could Corn. Although McCain is in the "prominent republicans" list, Clinton is not. Interestingly, the "prominent" democrat list has many people I've never heard of, but somehow Bush Sr. is missing on the republican list.

More interestingly, of course, there are SEVERAL on the Republican list that SERVED and STILL are insulted in various ways (Rummy, Bush, Reagan, Powell). Nary a single word against a Dem. Where's the Gephardt vietnam dodging by being in the air national gaurd?

The "who served and how" argument is stupid. We all know Conjur is a slobbering partisan. He's the only one in denial.

alchemize

Lifer
Mar 24, 2000
I wasn't aware that Bill Clinton was still in office or somehow an active member of the administration or a campaign. Interesting.
I wasn't aware that Ronald Reagan or Newt Gingrich were still in office or somehow an active member of the administration or a campaign. Interesting.

At least *I* can read!!

conjur

No Lifer
Jun 7, 2001
So, take out the ones not currently in office then. Still rather telling of the chickenhawk mentality amongst the GOP.

Corn

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 1999

I'm sure there isn't one that's already been broken down, but since there is a list of every currently serving member of congress and the President's cabinet, a search of the BIO's of these individuals would render said information. I didn't say it would be easy, as a matter of fact I think I might have even said something to the effect of "it would require effort"....... Since I debunked that "list" with only 2 names, I feel no need to continue to debunk it further.

conjur

No Lifer
Jun 7, 2001

I'm sure there isn't one that's already been broken down, but since there is a list of every currently serving member of congress and the President's cabinet, a search of the BIO's of these individuals would render said information. I didn't say it would be easy, as a matter of fact I think I might have even said something to the effect of "it would require effort"....... Since I debunked that "list" with only 2 names, I feel no need to continue to debunk it further.

LOL!! Debunked?!?!

LMAO!!

You couldn't even READ it properly!

conjur

No Lifer
Jun 7, 2001
here's a start:

http://www.moaa.org/Legislative/Handbook/FactSheets/LegisTips/legislative_tips_5.asp

http://www.senate.gov/reference/resources/pdf/RS21379.pdf
There are 154 Members of the 108th Congress who have had some form of military
service, some 14 fewer than in the 107th Congress. The House has 119 veterans: 71
Republicans and 48 Democrats, including one woman, who is a Republican. In the Senate, 35 Members are veterans: 19 Republicans and 16 Democrats. They have served
in World War II, the Korean War, Vietnam, the Persian Gulf, and Kosovo, and during
times of peace, as well as in the Reserves and the National Guard. One Senator is a
former Secretary of the Navy. There has been a steady decline in the number of Members
who have served in the military, which may be attributed in part to the end of the
Selective Service System draft in 1973.

So, pretty split in the Senate but more Republican veterans in the House.

Haven't found anything about those in the Administration (the ones who set policy), though.

Corn

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 1999

So....aparently I missed Colin Powell. Heavens almighty!!!!

OK, so just for you I did a little searching. Here's what I found so far with currently serving members of our congress:

See page 5. Read 'em and weep moron.

Edit, LOL, you actually went searching, I'm almost impressed. Still wondering why you haven't edited that "list" yet................Impress me.

Strk

Lifer
Nov 23, 2003

OK, so just for you I did a little searching. Here's what I found so far with currently serving members of our congress:

Edit, LOL, you actually went searching, I'm almost impressed. Still wondering why you haven't edited that "list" yet................Impress me.

That sure is sad. It's 2004 and 14 women in the Senate is a record. Only 62 members in the House is equally pathetic.

CanOWorms

Lifer
Jul 3, 2001
Came across this...not sure if the information has been verified:

GOP CHICKENHAWK GALLERY

Spencer Abraham. Avoided: Vietnam. Reason: Harvard law School

That guy should be taken off the list. Attending such a prestigious law school and graduating would be a greater benefit to this country than quitting to go off to war. I've always thought the same with Clinton and his Rhodes scholarship.

alchemize

Lifer
Mar 24, 2000

Conjur? *cricket cricket*

154 members of congress with service.

119 in the house
71 Republicans
48 Democrats

35 in the senate
19 Republicans
16 Democrats.

There you have it. Now if we can match up their voting record on Iraq, we can find out which party has more Chickenhawks. I'm guessing statistically where it would end up...

conjur

No Lifer
Jun 7, 2001
Originally posted by: alchemize

119 in the house
71 Republicans
48 Democrats

35 in the senate
19 Republicans
16 Democrats.

There you have it. Now if we can match up their voting record on Iraq, we can find out which party has more Chickenhawks. I'm guessing statistically where it would end up...

WTF was that for? Are you now experiencing problems reading? See my post before Corn's.

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

SuperTool

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
"The speaker is correct in that nothing we are called upon to do comes close to matching the heroism of our troops... All we're called upon to do is not spend our nation into bankruptcy while our soldiers risk their lives. I fondly remember a time when real Republicans stood for fiscal responsibility."

SERVED!!!

alchemize

Lifer
Mar 24, 2000

WTF was that for? Are you now experiencing problems reading? See my post before Corn's.
I missed it. I should have addressed that one instead. I apologize. (Gaard, happy?;) )

Next, we could compare the Bush Admin to the Clinton Admin? Cabinet members maybe? That should be easy...

Corn

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 1999
Originally posted by: SuperTool
"The speaker is correct in that nothing we are called upon to do comes close to matching the heroism of our troops... All we're called upon to do is not spend our nation into bankruptcy while our soldiers risk their lives. I fondly remember a time when real Republicans stood for fiscal responsibility."

SERVED!!!

I completely agree with McCain's quote above.

chess9

Elite member
Apr 15, 2000
McCain always comes out the better man in these little escapades with fellow Republicans. He takes the high road and sticks to what he believes in and doesn't stoop lower than his enemy. Now we know how he made it through 6 years as a POW-sheer strength of character.

McCain is probably too good for America.

-Robert

Infohawk

Lifer
Jan 12, 2002
McCain is a good Republican. I usually vote Democrat but he's allright. He's moderate and he has principles. I think he is mistaken on a lot (the war) but is a good citizen. On the other hand, you have the neocons that are not only mistaken but further their goals with deceit. They are terrible citizens.

conjur

No Lifer
Jun 7, 2001

I missed it. I should have addressed that one instead. I apologize. (Gaard, happy?;) )

Next, we could compare the Bush Admin to the Clinton Admin? Cabinet members maybe? That should be easy...

Why? Did Clinton invade a sovereign nation?

Oh, apology accepted. :D

alchemize

Lifer
Mar 24, 2000

Clinton certainly acted militarily against sovereign nations. But that wasn't the orginal "awolbush" premise. The premise was that somehow republicans have more chickenhawks than democrats. We've already debunked this for congress, let's move on to administrations. Since we can only have one administration at a time, we need to compare to former.

Infohawk

Lifer
Jan 12, 2002

119 in the house
71 Republicans
48 Democrats

35 in the senate
19 Republicans
16 Democrats.

This is "fuzzy" statistics. These numbers do not speak to the number of chickenhawks. To do that, you would have to count the number of Republicans who didn't serve and act like they have served (or whatever your definition of chickenhawk is) to the number of Democrats who act like they served but didn't.

Another interesting point that your numbers miss is that there are more Republicans than Democrats in Congress! To really show that Republicans serve more, you need to take percentages. It is likely that Republicans do serve more, but your numbers --out of context-- do not show that. And your numbers certainly do not speak to the proportion of chickenhaws in either party.

I suggest you take a community college course on statistics or visit your local library.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000

Clinton certainly acted militarily against sovereign nations. But that wasn't the orginal "awolbush" premise. The premise was that somehow republicans have more chickenhawks than democrats. We've already debunked this for congress, let's move on to administrations. Since we can only have one administration at a time, we need to compare to former.

Every administration has used US military power at some point going wayyyyy back before me.

What Bush has done was launch a first strike war against a people who did us no harm, and at the time were not engaged in hostilities towards others.

Where has this happened in US history before?

BTW, to save you time, you needn't bait me with Clinton. I didn't like him either, but for reasons unrelated to war.