More protesters at the RNC than at the DNC?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Drift3r

Jun 3, 2003
Originally posted by: feralkid
Originally posted by: Drift3r
Sorry but watching these people makes me want to vote for Bush now. They seem to be reliving the 60's for some reason and not dealing with reality. Peace, and Love themes abound for some reason. They don't realize that you can't have peace and love with Al Qiada and Bin Laden. While I think the war in Iraq is a huge waste in man power, resources and in effort I do not agree with this peace and love theme they have going.

So if the theme were "War and Hate" that would fit your outlook better?

It should be.."Get our troops out of Iraq and back to Afghanistan and into the Hindu-Kush moutians looking for Bin Laden and Al Qiada to so that we can kill the vermin off. "

rextilleon

Feb 19, 2004
Drifter stop playing silly games--You always intended to vote for Bush and these protestors had little or nothing to do with that decision--geeze---

Steeplerot

Lifer
Mar 29, 2004
Too bad Bush is hidden from the true opinion of the country.
How can the uproar of quarter million people be totally blown off by someone supposedly representing all of us.
Some uniter, send this guy home to la la land texas
your Daddy can not cover your ears and protect you from the screaming voices of half a country and just about a whole planet.

feralkid

Lifer
Jan 28, 2002
Originally posted by: csf
Originally posted by: feralkid
Sorry but watching these people makes me want to vote for Bush now. They seem to be reliving the 60's for some reason and not dealing with reality. Peace, and Love themes abound for some reason. They don't realize that you can't have peace and love with Al Qiada and Bin Laden. While I think the war in Iraq is a huge waste in man power, resources and in effort I do not agree with this peace and love theme they have going.

So if the theme were "War and Hate" that would fit your outlook better?

Well in general, protestors' disrespect for the ability of shop owners, commuters, etc to go about their daily lives and not risk their property being vandalized by emotionally fueled mobs, as well as their intent to debate by shouting out and intimidating anyone who may disagree with them rather than researching facts and using logically based arguments, presented in an intelligent in respectful manner... that fits a "War and Hate" theme that runs counter to their false guise of "peace and love."

So I guess none of those protesting could be shop owners or commuters themselves?

Knock down the straw man, win a prize.

fjord

Feb 18, 2004
Originally posted by: Harvey
Originally posted by: dwell
So we get to chose between a war monger and a liberal pussy for President. Woopie! I ain't voting.
Well, aren't you something special? That "liberal pussie" came home with battle wounds and shrapnel, medals and ribbons. I wouldn't call that being a "pussie." :cool:

Care to tell us what you did to lose your pussyhood? :Q

If the vote is between a war monger and "liberal pussie"--I'm voting for the latter.

OneOfTheseDays

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2000
Originally posted by: fjord
So we get to chose between a war monger and a liberal pussy for President. Woopie! I ain't voting.
Well, aren't you something special? That "liberal pussie" came home with battle wounds and shrapnel, medals and ribbons. I wouldn't call that being a "pussie." :cool:

Care to tell us what you did to lose your pussyhood? :Q

If the vote is between a war monger and "liberal pussie"--I'm voting for the latter.

The sad thing is that Bush is the bigger pussie in this case. After all, he was a male cheerleader!

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001
Originally posted by: Sudheer Anne
The sad thing is that Bush is the bigger pussie in this case. After all, he was a male cheerleader!
Makes sense, considering how many Republican cheerleaders there are in this thread alone.

Well, aren't you something special? That "liberal pussie" came home with battle wounds and shrapnel, medals and ribbons. I wouldn't call that being a "pussie." :cool:[/quote]
So if we get attacked again is he going to hesitate to retaliate? You would think that of a peacenik. What is Kerry's selling point anyway, besides not being Bush? I don't particularly like GWB but, heck, Kerry is just a cardboard cutout of a man.

Drift3r

Jun 3, 2003
Originally posted by: rextilleon
Drifter stop playing silly games--You always intended to vote for Bush and these protestors had little or nothing to do with that decision--geeze---

and you know this how exactly ??

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
So if we get attacked again is he going to hesitate to retaliate? You would think that of a peacenik.
Please clarify. Do you mean hesitate for seven minutes with a blank look on his face like Bush did? Or, do you mean hesitate long enough to retaliate against the right country instead of one that had nothing to do with the attack?

Where do you get the idea that Kerry is a "peacenik" in any case? Because he protested Vietnam? Here's a news flash: Kerry was right. Vietnam was a mistake. Because he raises objections about the way Bush bumbled into Iraq? Once again, he's right. Bush has finally even acknowedged this.

If your definition of "peacenik" is someone who resorts to warfare only when necessary, bring it on. That's my kind of President. I don't want an impulsive war-monger with his finger on the Big Red Button.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: UltraQuiet
Put the DNC in Oklahoma or Texas and see how many people protest.

There were no protesters in Boston because there is nothing substantive coming out of any Democrats mouth, even by accident.

Like there is anything substantive from the Fearless Liar Regime the last 4 years? :confused:

8-29-2004 More Than 100,000 Protest Bush in NYC

Police gave no official crowd estimate of the day's protest. One official put the size at 120,000, although it took nearly five hours for the procession to pass Madison Square Garden.

Organizers claimed they had turned out roughly 500,000 protesters.

In all, about 100 arrests were reported, with no major outbursts of violence. At mid-afternoon, a small fire erupted along the protest route a half block from the Garden. Police quickly doused the flames, then handcuffed two people and led them away.

Thousands of police, some dressed in riot gear, others bearing automatic weapons, watched as the protesters passed.

tallest1

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2001
Originally posted by: tallest1
They don't realize that you can't have peace and love with Al Qiada and Bin Laden.

Um.... the reason most liberals don't like Bush is because he didn't go after Al Qaeda & Bin Laden enough. You may think of the whole Iraq thing as a tiny mistake but the money we've blown on that 'oopsie' could've given us enough money to not only capture Bin Laden but also have his corpse lined with lead and rocketted toward the sun piece by piece.

No liberals are angry at Bush because he is Bush and not because he didn't go after Al Qiada. If this was Gore liberals wouldn't be protesting about Iraq. You forget that liberals can be just as partisan as Reps.

You must be one of those conservatives who see everything in black and white.

I don't dislike Bush simply because he is Bush. That man worked hard to get the attention hes getting today. In fact, you probably believe that Bin Laden hates us "Because of our freedoms", that protesting against a war is protesting against our soldiers, disclosing abuses that put the US in a bad light as "undermining the war on terrorism", and finding a couple liters of serin makes the declaration of hundreds of tons of WMDs fact.

In fact, I distinctly recall the conservatives getting their panties in a bundle over Clinton's sex life. You know the attack dogs went after him mostly because he was Clinton (especially considering millions was spent just so they could find something to accuse him of) so don't give me that BS. Liberals may be partisan but at least we can bring facts to the table instead of giving stupid "America is safer" or "Remember 9-11" blanket statements every 2 weeks.

Edit:grammar

Feb 10, 2000

You may want to wipe the jizz out of your eyes, that's not anger directed at the ' morons, it's disdain.

Chief, I hate to hear you making remarks like this. That's a particularly vicious and unwarranted personal attack.

FWIW, I think it's interesting, if unsurprising, that this year's RNC has attracted more dissent than any national convention since Vietnam (the NYPD have apparently estimated the number as perhaps as high as 500,000) - I don't think that's coincidental.

Civil disobedience is a fundamentally important part of American culture (remember the Boston Tea Party?), and if the Founding Fathers had taken the attitude that protesting and resisting what they perceived as an unfair, abusive government was wrong, or whiny, or counter-productive, there wouldn't be a United States of America.

IMO, as long as the protestors are peaceful and nonviolent, they are, in my view, acting as patriots, and I have no problem with them or their activities.

Orsorum

Lifer
Dec 26, 2001

Agreed.

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001
Originally posted by: DonVito

You may want to wipe the jizz out of your eyes, that's not anger directed at the ' morons, it's disdain.

Chief, I hate to hear you making remarks like this. That's a particularly vicious and unwarranted personal attack.

It's the circle of hate. UQ quite simply hates those who hate Bush. I'm sure it all makes perfect sense in ultra partisan right-wing land.

Feb 10, 2000
Originally posted by: Orsorum

Agreed.

In all fairness, they can't win for losing.

If the protestors use violence, they will obviously help the President, IMO, by effectively making his opposition look like unstable wackos who hate the US.

Nonviolent protests are inherently a mass activity, and they don't have an opportunity to collectively make the statement: "We support the war on terror, but resent President Bush's use of force against Iraq, which was an illegal, offensive attack against a nation with no demonstrable ties to al Queda, when there were and are more important fronts for the war on terror. We also resent his domestic agenda, which has included huge, irresponsible tax cuts, combined with unprecedented defecit spending, and made him only the third President in US history to finish his term with fewer, not more, jobs for Americans," or whatever it is they'd like to say.

There really isn't, IMO, any effective way to send the message they want to, without alienating someone. I for one would much rather they continue in peaceful protest.

RustedOut

Jan 2, 2002
Originally posted by: Bowfinger
So if we get attacked again is he going to hesitate to retaliate? You would think that of a peacenik.
Please clarify. Do you mean hesitate for seven minutes with a blank look on his face like Bush did? Or, do you mean hesitate long enough to retaliate against the right country instead of one that had nothing to do with the attack?

Where do you get the idea that Kerry is a "peacenik" in any case? Because he protested Vietnam? Here's a news flash: Kerry was right. Vietnam was a mistake. Because he raises objections about the way Bush bumbled into Iraq? Once again, he's right. Bush has finally even acknowedged this.

If your definition of "peacenik" is someone who resorts to warfare only when necessary, bring it on. That's my kind of President. I don't want an impulsive war-monger with his finger on the Big Red Button.

:thumbsup:

Well said !

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
Put the DNC in Oklahoma or Texas and see how many people protest.

What are they going to protest? The democrats irrelevance in american politics? Their lack of ideas, plans or leadership? There were no protesters in Boston because there is nothing substantive coming out of any Democrats mouth, even by accident. The best thing to do is just to allow the void that is now the Democratic Party to be fully exposed for what it is and not inject any possible distractions.

LOL :) Well my view, like it matters to a man of action like yourself, is doing nothing is way better than scrapping the consitution in the name of terror, making enemies/distrust of our cultural brothers/seemingly forever allies in europe, and being in wars perpetually agianst the third world. No plan is better than a bad plan. Americans can take care of themselves just fine w/o government being so heavy handed and pervasive in our lives. So maybe nothing is the plan so wall street and business can stop worrying an get down to business again.

Siddhartha

Lifer
Oct 17, 1999
Originally posted by: XZeroII
My belief:
There are more protesters because democrats have bigger mouthes. Republicans are more content to work quietly on problems, while democrats go straight to the media. Democrats need to do everything big and have the media cover all of it.

You do not remember or know about the 1968 DNC in Chaicago. Where people demonstrated against the Viet Nam war. It was on TV. People watched Dalely's thug cops beat up and mace demonstrators outside the convention.

Now the Republicans control the federal government. People were and are demonstrating against Bush's foreign and domestic policies.