More proof the police will shoot anybody - all recent shootings

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Alpha One Seven

Golden Member
Sep 11, 2017
They are trained to shoot to protect their lives and taught to empty their guns when they do shoot. There is a very good reason for this training. They don't want police shooting if they do not fully intend to kill in a life or death situation. We don't want police shooting people in the knees to slow them down to make an arrest easier.

urvile

Golden Member
Aug 3, 2017
They are trained to shoot to protect their lives and taught to empty their guns when they do shoot. There is a very good reason for this training. They don't want police shooting if they do not fully intend to kill in a life or death situation. We don't want police shooting people in the knees to slow them down to make an arrest easier.

To me it suggests they are poorly trained and their first option is using lethal force. Especially when they panic. We have a handful of police shootings each year and typically it's after the armed offender has had pepper spray and tasers delpoyed against them but they just keep coming and then they got shot. Australian cops don't have the mentality of shoot first. So we don't have shootings of unarmed civilians here it just doesn't happen.

Also when would shooting someone in the kneecaps ever be an option? That is the dumbest thing you have posted so far.

Alpha One Seven

Golden Member
Sep 11, 2017
How about this, you become a police officer and leave your gun at home when reporting for duty. Be sure to polish up the target on your chest so it's more easily visible too. :)

If police could not use deadly force when they felt there was a risk to their life if not doing so, there would be no police. Great idea.

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
Mental health and drug problem, not a police problem.

If he had not attacked the police officer the end results would have probably been quite different.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Pretty much every other civilised country doesn't do this and they don't have a problem with lots of police officers being killed, they don't have a problem with lots of members of the public being shot by police either.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Mental health and drug problem, not a police problem.

If he had not attacked the police officer the end results would have probably been quite different.
I can see you never actually took a probability class.

You have no idea what would have happened, you're just assuming and you've got no evidence or logic to back it up. Plenty of guys are shot by police who werent attacking them.

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
I can see you never actually took a probability class.

You have no idea what would have happened, you're just assuming and you've got no evidence or logic to back it up. Plenty of guys are shot by police who werent attacking them.
I see you've never gone out in public. In fact, the odds of someone Doing The Right Thing getting shot randomly by police are quite low. The odds of it happening because you have a mental health, drug problem, and attacking police tendency, is quite high. That's probability.

Reactions: kirbyrj

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
I found this line rather enlightening.

a lot more emphasis on de-escalation," DeWine said. "The whole purpose behind this is to let officers see these individuals as people."

At least they admit it now but it's a sad day when law enforcement need training to see the individuals they are protecting and serving as people...

Reactions: Thebobo

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
In many cases, I'll blame police uses too much forces.

But this guy tackled the police, what do you expect?

I dunno, maybe wait for the backup that he called to actually arrive before escalating the situation? Why the fuck call them in the first place if you are just going to John Wayne it anyway?

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
But shooting someone becaue they got physical or shooting them through a closed police car door.... That sounds like badly trained idiots who unfortunately have authority and a gun.

Unfortunately this particular asshole actually had far MORE training than your average LEO in "de-escalation" and working with the mentally ill so I'm not even sure we can blame it on the training anymore.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
How about this, you become a police officer and leave your gun at home when reporting for duty. Be sure to polish up the target on your chest so it's more easily visible too. :)

If police could not use deadly force when they felt there was a risk to their life if not doing so, there would be no police. Great idea.

Since when did our police become such pussies that getting tackled literally made them fear for their lives? I've been tackled by an angry man before and at no time did I think I was going to die. Maybe if he started pounding my head into the pavement or something but just getting tackled? If you are that big of a pussy then I'd suggest a nice desk job where your greatest fear is a paper cut because law enforcement isn't the job for you.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
Since when did our police become such pussies that getting tackled literally made them fear for their lives? I've been tackled by an angry man before and at no time did I think I was going to die. Maybe if he started pounding my head into the pavement or something but just getting tackled? If you are that big of a pussy then I'd suggest a nice desk job where your greatest fear is a paper cut because law enforcement isn't the job for you.

Pardon the obvious but in a street fight situtuation isn't getting tackled generally a prerequisite for pounding your head into the pavement? Because I would think most people would want to stop the attack before it go to the pounding head on pavement part.

Reactions: kirbyrj

bshole

Diamond Member
Mar 12, 2013
Pretty much every other civilised country doesn't do this and they don't have a problem with lots of police officers being killed, they don't have a problem with lots of members of the public being shot by police either.

Pretty much every other civilized country don't have a murder rate bordering on 3rd world (if not outright 3rd world) like the United States does.

Norway has a murder rate of 0.56 while the United States has a murder rate of 4.88. America is in the top 100 countries for murder. There have been 5 murders within 2 miles of my house since I moved here three years ago. The latest was a triple shooting with one fatality at a gas station a few weeks ago. It scares the piss out of me that my son likes to frequent that area (ironically that area is indeed across the railroad tracks).

Bottom line, the United State is an order of magnitude more dangerous than most other advanced countries. It is not more dangerous because of the police. It is more dangerous because of the actions of its own citizens. Why we are so much more brutal against each other as opposed to the citizens of other countries, I cannot say.

FYI: Murder rates are - murders per 100,000

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
Pardon the obvious but in a street fight situtuation isn't getting tackled generally a prerequisite for pounding your head into the pavement? Because I would think most people would want to stop the attack before it go to the pounding head on pavement part.

Sure it's a prerequisite but street fights happen all the damn time and lots of people are tackled in them, very very few end up dead. What would you figure, .001% or something?

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
Pretty much every other civilized country don't have a murder rate bordering on 3rd world (if not outright 3rd world) like the United States does.

Norway has a murder rate of 0.56 while the United States has a murder rate of 4.88. America is in the top 100 countries for murder. There have been 5 murders within 2 miles of my house since I moved here three years ago. The latest was a triple shooting with one fatality at a gas station a few weeks ago. It scares the piss out of me that my son likes to frequent that area (ironically that area is indeed across the railroad tracks).

Bottom line, the United State is an order of magnitude more dangerous than most other advanced countries. It is not more dangerous because of the police. It is more dangerous because of the actions of its own citizens. Why we are so much more brutal against each other as opposed to the citizens of other countries, I cannot say.

FYI: Murder rates are - murders per 100,000

A majority of that has to do with our idiotic and failed war on drugs.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
Sure it's a prerequisite but street fights happen all the damn time and lots of people are tackled in them, very very few end up dead. What would you figure, .001% or something?

Buddy of mine died from a steet fight, got hit, landed on his head and died the next day. So statistically unlikely but certainly greater than zero.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
Buddy of mine died from a steet fight, got hit, landed on his head and died the next day. So statistically unlikely but certainly greater than zero.

Oh no doubt that it is greater than zero but pretty much any activity has a greater than zero chance of injury or death. Some poor guy was struck by lightning while checking his mail and it wasn't even raining. I'd bet dollars to doughnuts that the cop had a statistically higher chance of dying just driving to work than he did from that scuffle.

justoh

Diamond Member
Jun 11, 2013
Why we are so much more brutal against each other as opposed to the citizens of other countries, I cannot say.

It's in no small part because of this dude:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Graham_Sumner

While ago he asked the question, " what do the social classes owe each other," and then came up with the reassuring answer: nothing. Most of your crime is economically motivated. Your crime statistics include war zones (black ghettos). It's not like they save money either, since prison costs much more than welfare. 60k+ per head? Makes sense. Probably why you often just execute them instead, as part of the arrest.

Last edited:

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
Oh no doubt that it is greater than zero but pretty much any activity has a greater than zero chance of injury or death. Some poor guy was struck by lightning while checking his mail and it wasn't even raining. I'd bet dollars to doughnuts that the cop had a statistically higher chance of dying just driving to work than he did from that scuffle.
Ironically, he probably had a higher likelihood of dying from the gun backfiring than he did from the scuffle.

bshole

Diamond Member
Mar 12, 2013
A majority of that has to do with our idiotic and failed war on drugs.

Really? The drug war is much much more aggressive in Singapore and yet their murder rate is only 0.25 (close to 1/50th of ours).

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
Really? The drug war is much much more aggressive in Singapore and yet their murder rate is only 0.25 (close to 1/50th of ours).
Ignoring the fact that there's a huge difference between Singapore (a city) and the entire United States, the drug war is only one facet of the murder rate in the US. It is however, a big part of it (I'd wager to say the second majority causal factor).

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005

So the Brits got it all wrong?

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006

Well they also execute people who are caught with 30 grams of blow or a pound of weed and share their only border with a country that has similar laws so it's not exactly a fair comparison. Not to mention they are a pretty small country with a completely different culture.

Reactions: Ns1