More free COVID test kits from gov't

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
4 More test are available for free starting today. I ordered during the last go around and was able to order 4 more. Stay safe!

As of November 20, 2023, residential households in the U.S. are eligible for another order of #4 free at-home tests from USPS.com. Here's what you need to know about your order:

• Each order includes #4 individual rapid antigen COVID-19 tests (COVIDTests.gov has more details about at-home tests, including extended shelf life and updated expiration dates)
  • If an order has not been placed for your address since the program reopened on September 25, 2023, you can place 2 orders now
  • Orders will ship free starting the week of November 27, 2023

Reactions: Oyeve and stargazr

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
4 More test are available for free starting today. I ordered during the last go around and was able to order 4 more. Stay safe!

Thanks for the info. I did not know they were doing this again. I just put in my order.

Reactions: balloonshark

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
Last call for free Covid tests from USPS. My last order was 11/20/23 and it wouldn't let me place another order.

As of November 20, 2023, residential households in the U.S. are eligible for another order of #4 free at-home tests from USPS.com. Here's what you need to know about your order:
  • Each order includes #4 individual rapid antigen COVID-19 tests (COVIDTests.gov has more details about at-home tests, including extended shelf life and updated expiration dates)
  • If an order has not been placed for your address since the program reopened on September 25, 2023, you can place# 2 orders now
  • Orders will ship free
COVID-19 home test

NOTE: Image of tests is only representative.
March 8, 2024: This Free COVID-19 Test Program Will be Suspended
Orders for free at-home COVID-19 tests will be suspended on Friday, March 8, 2024.
Find out more information on free testing resources in the COVIDTests.gov “Testing Resources” section or by calling 1-800-232-0233 (TTY 1-888-720-7489).

Reactions: Muse and Captante

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Last call for free Covid tests from USPS. My last order was 11/20/23 and it wouldn't let me place another order.

Just placed my order, thanks! Evidently these will be my last free test kits? I have some in my covid-19 drawer, various expiration dates and some scribbles about extensions. I'm committed to staying "safe." No known exposure yet AFAIK. I may have been the only person in the gym the other day wearing a mask, a trusty 3M 9210+ N95. I even wear one on my bike, keeps the cold air out of my nostrils, don't have to blow my nose. ;)

WilliamM2

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2012
Just placed my order, thanks! Evidently these will be my last free test kits? I have some in my covid-19 drawer, various expiration dates and some scribbles about extensions. I'm committed to staying "safe." No known exposure yet AFAIK. I may have been the only person in the gym the other day wearing a mask, a trusty 3M 9210+ N95. I even wear one on my bike, keeps the cold air out of my nostrils, don't have to blow my nose. ;)
If they don't run out, they may offer it again. Last round was originally supposed to end May 2023.

I don't think there is much demand for test kits anymore. My insurance still covers them, when I got some in March 2023 from Walgreens, they expired July 23, 2024, I got some a week ago from Walgreens, they expire Sept. 2 2024. And that's the extended date. Old stock. They only cover 2 kits (1 pack) at a time now.

Sadly, no one cares anymore...

Reactions: Captante and Muse

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
If they don't run out, they may offer it again. Last round was originally supposed to end May 2023.

I don't think there is much demand for test kits anymore. My insurance still covers them, when I got some in March 2023 from Walgreens, they expired July 23, 2024, I got some a week ago from Walgreens, they expire Sept. 2 2024. And that's the extended date. Old stock. They only cover 2 kits (1 pack) at a time now. Sadly, no one cares anymore...
Yeah, I don't understand that. A lot of people are getting super sick on the latest variant JN.1

If I get sick I want to know right away if it's covid-19 so I can get some Paxlovid.

In early November 2023, the JN.1 variant caused less than 5% of COVID-19 cases in the U.S. Now it is estimated to cause more than 60% of them. Virologists including Andy Pekosz, PhD, a professor in Molecular Microbiology and Immunology, are paying attention.

What is JN.1?

A SARS-CoV-2 variant called BA.2.86 emerged a few months ago and caught virologists’ attention because it contains many more mutations—about 30 of them—to evade immunity than any other variant circulating at that time. However, the BA.2.86 variant never came to dominate among the group of SARS-CoV-2 variants that were circulating in the late summer/early fall of 2023. The JN.1 variant is a descendant of BA.2.86 that has acquired the ability to transmit efficiently through an additional one or two mutations. It has the immune evasion of its parent but has now mutated to transmit more efficiently.

Last edited:

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000

I don't think there is much demand for test kits anymore. My insurance still covers them, when I got some in March 2023 from Walgreens, they expired July 23, 2024, I got some a week ago from Walgreens, they expire Sept. 2 2024. And that's the extended date. Old stock. They only cover 2 kits (1 pack) at a time now.

Sadly, no one cares anymore...
I keep tossing out expired test kits, which seems like a shitty waste of resources. I'm undecided on whether to order another round from USPS, as these are likely closer to expiration. Covid is endemic, and people worldwide stopped caring about it a long time ago. Even the US CDC is sending mixed messages recently. They're recommending another vaccine dose for age 65+; but now they're saying no need to isolate for 5 days, just go back to work after a day off if you feel better. :tearsofjoy: Both guidance can be correct, but they simultaneously suggest Covid is serious and not so serious anymore.

WilliamM2

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2012
I keep tossing out expired test kits, which seems like a shitty waste of resources. I'm undecided on whether to order another round from USPS, as these are likely closer to expiration. Covid is endemic, and people worldwide stopped caring about it a long time ago. Even the US CDC is sending mixed messages recently. They're recommending another vaccine dose for age 65+; but now they're saying no need to isolate for 5 days, just go back to work after a day off if you feel better. :tearsofjoy: Both guidance can be correct, but they simultaneously suggest Covid is serious and not so serious anymore.
Yeah, when my wife and I caught it March 2023 for the first and only time, we got 8 kits each through our insurance. Those 16 will be dumped in August, I figure they are good for a month after expiration.

We used up most the free ones from USPS last March. haven't had a use for them since. Think we tossed 8 or so of those away last fall.

And I got 4 when they offered them again in November 2023, those expire next month.

But from what I can see, they are still recommending annual vaccines for EVERYBODY:

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Turns out the real irony was that a couple weeks after posting this I got covid and was destroyed for a week.
Knock on wood, I don't follow suit. Not a sniffle since beginning of 2020. Had URI in Nov. 2019. Was it covid-19? The "authorities" would say no, but I live where there's a whole lot of tourism from Asia so I think it's not impossible. It seemed tenacious.

In the gym today I spotted only one other person masked up. I imagine there were 100 people in there on average.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Found among reader comments to article in today's New York Times concerning aging and maintaining memory and cognitive functioning in general:

One of the symptoms of Long COVID is strange memory "flubs," lapses, and mixups, because Long COVID causes such long-lasting brain damage.

This happens even among people who do not realize they have Long COVID, and often didn't even realize they initially had COVID at all. So your flubs could be a reaction to the madness in our society, or they could be Long COVID (or both).

Since Long COVID affects 20% of all infections, and people are now getting reinfected and reinfected (like playing Russian Roulette over and over), we will be seeing a lot more of these neurological problems in the near future.

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
Yeah, when my wife and I caught it March 2023 for the first and only time, we got 8 kits each through our insurance. Those 16 will be dumped in August, I figure they are good for a month after expiration.

We used up most the free ones from USPS last March. haven't had a use for them since. Think we tossed 8 or so of those away last fall.

And I got 4 when they offered them again in November 2023, those expire next month.

But from what I can see, they are still recommending annual vaccines for EVERYBODY:
The FDA officially extended the expiration date of many of the at-home tests.

The CDC recommends Covid vaccines for everyone who's eligible, but they recently added guidance for another booster:

WilliamM2

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2012
The FDA officially extended the expiration date of many of the at-home tests.
I'm aware. Those were the extended dates. When you get them from Walgreens (and I assume any drug store), they already had a new sticker over the old one with the new date.

And now they are dated correctly in the first place. The extensions were a long time ago.