More bad Amazon stuff

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
My Pixel 3a has call screening which more or less automates that process ... its fuggin awesome .. i hope its something all other phones eventually get ...
The best I can do is add contacts/block calls and flag them as spam in my dialer. (Some show up as suspected spam) Even if they are blocked and my phone doesn't ring, that still is just a function of the dialer app and it sends those bastards to voicemail, which is on the phone line itself. I wish they would log phone line ownership and once enough people flag a number, blacklist it from calling. Repeat offenders (companies) should be fined.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
If you don't want companies and people to track you, use prepaid phone service. If you have cell service with AT&T, Verizon, Sprint, and T-mobile you're already screwed. People can input that phone number and get all the personal information to locate you and the people close to you. But they can't do that if you use prepaid service like Cricket, StraightTalk, or Boost. Something to consider if you don't want your personal information on one of those internet search services.

Not a bad point, but not the issue I have or the issue in this thread.

This is about the listed bad actions by Whole Foods/Amazon.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Every delivered restaurant or grocery order I've had required a phone number. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

A *mobile* number, that you were forced to agree to receive marketing on? If I were ordering a pizza, I understand giving them a land line. I don't expect them calling me daily after that asking if I want another pizza.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
And China can manufacture top of the line stuff. China probably has the world's best manufacturing technology today. It's just that Western companies want and pay for the cheapest goods possible. So these companies and Western consumers are getting exactly what they paid for. If they're willing to pay more, China can definitely make top of the line stuff that will rival and beat any Western manufactured goods.

I don't think that used to be the case, but has become the case. China has been very aggressive about learning from the US and has basically surpassed the US. I think the basic story is, some businessmen realized that if they just ignored and screwed American industry and workers, they could make big money by having China make cheaper goods, and it worked.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
It really all comes down to this...YOU want to use THEIR service...therefore, like it or not, you have to agree with their TOS...or not.
Yup.

Don't like it or accept it? Go to Whole Foods instead.

Otherwise, if you want Whole Foods/Amazon to deliver it to your house, go with the flow.

Maybe providing a cell is the new "mark of the beast" they warned against. :p

BTW, I had Amazon Fresh deliver some goodies today. No spam to my phone number, no calling tech support in India to whine. Easy peasy.

KeithP

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2000
You're supposed to get a prime discount in the store, also. That, also requires a mobile number. No other option.

I didn't renew my Prime subscription but when I did have it, I simply signed in on the Whole Foods android app and it would display a QR code on the screen that was scanned at the register for the discount.

-KeithP

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
You're "required" to give your phone number, e-mail address, and mailing address to sign up for a discount card or delivery any most other grocery stores, no? It's up to you if you want to give them real information, although it will probably make it more difficult to recover a lost card or order in the future if you did.

I'd imagine that Amazon also probably gives an option to unsubscribe from promotional text messages if you give them your mobile number. If not, you should be bitching about their privacy policy on Twitter or Facebook. Nobody from Amazon is going to see your complaint here.

Reactions: BoomerD

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
Support local grocery stores. You'll be sorry when they're gone and Amazon has nobody left to compete against on price.

Reactions: Captante

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
Support local grocery stores. You'll be sorry when they're gone and Amazon has nobody left to compete against on price.
I don't buy from Amazon Fresh or Whole Foods because it's freaking expensive. I can't believe people actually shop and have grocery delivered. I looked at the prices and laughed. Plus grocery shopping gets me out of the house and it's something I enjoy doing.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001

I don't think that I really have a "local" grocery store anymore. All I have is a Stop and Shop (which is now owned by a massive Dutch grocery empire), and a ShopRite (which is owned by a US grocery conglomerate).

I miss having an IGA in town, but the big guys have already run them out of business here.

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
I don't buy from Amazon Fresh or Whole Foods because it's freaking expensive. I can't believe people actually shop and have grocery delivered. I looked at the prices and laughed. Plus grocery shopping gets me out of the house and it's something I enjoy doing.

I usually buy from a local Krogers because the prices are reasonable, two stores nearby in opposite directions so I'm always passing by one or the other, and I get fuel points from purchases... saved $0.50 /gallon on my last fillup.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
I don't think that I really have a "local" grocery store anymore. All I have is a Stop and Shop (which is now owned by a massive Dutch grocery empire), and a ShopRite (which is owned by a US grocery conglomerate).

I miss having an IGA in town, but the big guys have already run them out of business here.

IGA is the ONLY grocery store here. We have a "liquidation outlet" store that's an ad hoc grocery store with very limited options...or drive 20-25 miles for Safeway, Walmart, and a couple of locally owned stores.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
I tried it because they had a $15 off discount for the first order.

But yeah, most of it was overpriced. Honestly, the only reason I even decided to do it was because they actually had Lysol wipes available and I haven't seen those in stock at any store since March.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
If you have the money and care about what goes into your body, or what goes into your environment, there are some things at whole foods that are indeed better for you and your home. A bunch of stuff is just marketing but a bunch is also higher quality too.

Last edited:

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
I didn't renew my Prime subscription but when I did have it, I simply signed in on the Whole Foods android app and it would display a QR code on the screen that was scanned at the register for the discount.

-KeithP

You're right. It just required a mobile device for that scan.

If you aren't using a mobile device, no discount.

Reactions: KeithP

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006

Good advice. We had a small local place that was sort of a one man store trying to sell organic and quality groceries. I didn't see how he could stay in business. He didn't.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
I'd imagine that Amazon also probably gives an option to unsubscribe from promotional text messages if you give them your mobile number. If not, you should be bitching about their privacy policy on Twitter or Facebook. Nobody from Amazon is going to see your complaint here.

As I already explained, you can 'opt out' by contacting them again, but you are forced to get marketing at the start. I already gave Amazon the feedback, this is to talk to customers.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
It really all comes down to this...YOU want to use THEIR service...therefore, like it or not, you have to agree with their TOS...or not.

Wow, why even have a forum. People have no business talking to each other.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Every delivered restaurant or grocery order I've had required a phone number. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Shocking, I know! ;)

Was just thinking this myself! I try to do the majority of my shopping at actual grocery stores and this is one of the primary reasons.

Same with local restaurants vs corporate chains.

Wow, why even have a forum. People have no business talking to each other.

He IS talking ... you just don't like what he has to say! ;)

*(at his age cranky is about the best you can expect!) :p

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2009
Get a Google Voice number?
This doesn't work in all situations. For instance, I tried to use my Google Voice number when registering with Imgur.com and they refused it demanding a real number. I even tried to use their offered option to use my Google sign-in as their sign-in but they still demanded a real cell phone number. I didn't even know you could discern GV numbers from non-GV numbers.

Reactions: Craig234

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Shocking, I know! ;)

Was just thinking this myself! I try to do the majority of my shopping at actual grocery stores and this is one of the primary reasons.

Same with local restaurants vs corporate chains.

He IS talking ... you just don't like what he has to say! ;)

*(at his age cranky is about the best you can expect!) :p

Don't forget Grumpy...

538659c6b30ad.image.jpg

Reactions: Captante