More 2020 weirdness: Jupiter and Saturn will come within 0.1 degrees of each other during the Winter solstice (Dec 21)

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
None of the is magic or weird. It's all natural, and quite predictable. It holds no meaning to mankind, nor does it effect anything, other than the minds of those that see it as magical or weird.
Yeah, it's meaningless. Also, pretty unspectacular compared to those occasional spectacular meteor showers. And a solar eclipse. Those two are the most spectacular "astronomical" displays, AFAIK. Have I forgotten anything? A big comet/asteroid hitting the earth is a spectacular event, but very rare.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Have I forgotten anything? A big comet/asteroid hitting the earth is a spectacular event, but very rare.
well, if it does hit, it'll be a once in a lifetime event.
(namely because we'll all be dead afterwards)

Spacehead

Lifer
Jun 2, 2002
Yeah, it's meaningless. Also, pretty unspectacular compared to those occasional spectacular meteor showers. And a solar eclipse. Those two are the most spectacular "astronomical" displays, AFAIK. Have I forgotten anything? A big comet/asteroid hitting the earth is a spectacular event, but very rare.
I'll be in the path of the 2024 solar eclipse so that'll be my first one, weather permitting.

The early 2000s Leonid meteor shower was beyond awesome. Meteors every second or 2, some casting shadows, some leaving smoke trails. For several hours till it got too light out.

I can't remember now but comet Hyakutake or Hale–Bopp was really awesome. Stretched across like half the sky. Both were pretty good in their own way.

A good Aurora would be nice i bet. I've seen them twice but they weren't spectacular. Too low on the horizon & not real colorful. But hey, at least i've seen them from PA.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I'll be in the path of the 2024 solar eclipse so that'll be my first one, weather permitting.

The early 2000s Leonid meteor shower was beyond awesome. Meteors every second or 2, some casting shadows, some leaving smoke trails. For several hours till it got too light out.

I can't remember now but comet Hyakutake or Hale–Bopp was really awesome. Stretched across like half the sky. Both were pretty good in their own way.

A good Aurora would be nice i bet. I've seen them twice but they weren't spectacular. Too low on the horizon & not real colorful. But hey, at least i've seen them from PA.
OK, so total eclipse in 2024 in PA? I'd like to make plans for one. I haven't seen a total, but did see a pretty spectacular meteor shower. In my experience, most of those events are duds. If you hit a great one, it's OMG experience. I had one of those, don't remember, it may have been that one you noted. But every 1-2 seconds, maybe not. Maybe 10/minute. The amazing thing is that each meteor you spot is so different. They are all in different places in the sky, going different directions, have different colors, different sizes, extremely different speeds. They are SO DIFFERENT in every aspect, it's breathtaking, and simply amazing. It puts all the other night sky experiences I've had in the nothing burger class.