More 2020 weirdness: Jupiter and Saturn will come within 0.1 degrees of each other during the Winter solstice (Dec 21)

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I guess I'll go out and look at it... if it isn't cloudy, that is (2020 being what it's been, it's sure to be cloudy). I figure nothing would beat a total eclipse of the sun. I missed the one a few years ago in the Pacific northwest. My nephew's wife's family have a cabin near Boise Idaho and they went there and had themselves a time. They didn't invite me and I didn't want to be forward, I missed out. Maybe I'll make one some day.

The most spectacular astronomical experience I've had was that one in 100 meteor shower I saw in IIRC the late 1990's. Most just don't amount to anything, in my experience, but this one was surreal weird.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
1608559853035.png Tonight's the night we drink Listerine
Honey, you and I
'Cause I'll take any risk to tie back the hands of time
And stay with you here tonight

Conjunction tonight. The conjunction will be visible in the west-southwest sky just after sunset with planet set at ~7:30 MST.

We had a crystal clear view last night with Jupiter and Saturn in view together through the spotting scope. We counted five moons of Jupiter, Saturn's rings were as distinct as I've ever seen them, and my wife spotted two of Saturn's moons though I couldn't make them out. Should be another clear night tonight.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I remembered to go out Saturday night (2 days before today's closest convergence of 0.1 degree) and spotted them here on the west coast. Nice clear view although I'm in the city and there are street lamps around, etc. Tried using binoculars but they just jumped around so I won't try that again, just naked eye. Wish I had a telescope, maybe on my wish list (suggestions?).

Went out last night and couldn't find them, they must have set. I figure they set around 6:30 PST tonight. Hope it's clear again.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I bet any amount of money we will have cloud cover and miss it. Hopefully someone with clear skies can take pics for the rest of us.

Dec 10, 2005
Of course it will be cloudy here tonight. Either way, up to a few days after, they'll both be quite close in the sky to one-another, providing the opportunity to see both in small field of view (with either binoculars or a telescope).

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
With the weather here, I can't even see the sun, let alone two tiny dots of light in the night sky. :(

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Been blessed with clear skies here in Berkeley, CA the last few days. So far, clear as can be today, probably clear tonight after sundown. Missed last night because I didn't go out until after 7:30PM. I figure tomorrow night, one day after the convergence will provide a display almost the same as last night! Meantime, the convergence tonight in 6 hours or so.

IIRC, winter started at 2:20AM PDT today.

Is there a reason the convergence coincided with the solstice or was it a coincidence?

repoman0

Diamond Member
Jun 17, 2010
I noticed a week or so ago before I knew about this, actually deduced it must be Jupiter and Saturn even though I was initially thinking Mars due to Jupiter’s red tint. They were a degree or two apart then. Just saw them from eastern MA again right on top of each other and can barely distinguish them. Got my GF some binoculars as one Christmas gift and I really want to give them early right now lol.

Reactions: Brainonska511

feralkid

Lifer
Jan 28, 2002
I noticed a week or so ago before I knew about this, actually deduced it must be Jupiter and Saturn even though I was initially thinking Mars due to Jupiter’s red tint. They were a degree or two apart then. Just saw them from eastern MA again right on top of each other and can barely distinguish them. Got my GF some binoculars as one Christmas gift and I really want to give them early right now lol.

Noticed here as well (AZ). Right above a crescent moon; what a delight.

Dec 10, 2005
Clouds parted just enough in the Boston area for me to get a glimpse this evening. My 8x42 binoculars aren't great for astronomy but they could at least resolve the two planets.

Spacehead

Lifer
Jun 2, 2002
One of the guys at work thinks it's the star of Bethlehem & so does the internet :rolleyes:

Cloudy here so i won't see them close but i've been casually watching them this past summer.

Dec 21/22: Ursid Meteors

Catch the shooting stars of the last major meteor shower of the year, the Ursids, when it peaks between the night of December 21 and 22, 2020.
At its peak, observers may be able to view as many as 10 meteors in an hour.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
It's always cloudy here at this time of year so I know I won't see it. That and I'm on night shifts so I'm stuck at work.

But I recall something like this happening a couple years back. It basically looked like a really bright star. My tripod is too wobbly and does not have any way to do fine adjustments so trying to aim the telephoto to something like that is near impossible otherwise with enough zoom could probably see more detail. I really need to build something better one of these days that I can control with servos and do very fine adjustments. Standard camera tripods are not well suited for precision aiming. Or just buy a telescope that allows to mount a DSLR.

Nov 17, 2019
^^^ That's about all I see ... a bright spot that could be anything. Even a beacon for those silver monoliths.