Monty Python History!

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
The truth is out there . . . in more ways than one:

"Many people don't know a relentless horde of rabbits once attacked Napoleon. There are a couple of versions of this story. Most agree it happened in July 1807, after Napoleon signed the Treaties of Tilsit (which ended the war between the French Empire and Imperial Russia). Looking to celebrate, the emperor proposed a rabbit hunt, asking Chief of Staff Alexandre Berthier to make it happen. But something strange happened. When Berthier released the rabbits from their cages, they didn't scurry in fright. Instead, they bounded toward Napoleon and his men. Hundreds of fuzzy bunnies gunned it for the world's most powerful man.
Source: Mental Floss"

Pohemi

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
I like the last paragraph...it makes sense, and helps ground the story to not sound so made-up and fantastical...still hilarious.

"It was Berthier’s fault. Rather than trapping wild hares, his emissary had bought tame rabbits from local farmers, “not aware that there could be any difference between one rabbit and another,” according to Thiébault. As a result, the rabbits didn’t see Napoleon as a fearsome hunter—they saw him as a waiter bringing out the day’s food. To them, the emperor was effectively a giant head of lettuce. “The poor rabbits … had flung themselves on them with all the more eagerness that they had not been fed that day,” Thiébault wrote, adding. “The laughter which this revelation elicited may be guessed.” "

• Haha
Reactions: Captante

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
jljW3GS.jpeg

Reactions: Pohemi

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
I had a dream the other night that Eric and John were knocking at my door, wanting to give me stacks of TinTin and Asterisk comics I had lost as a kid overseas. I invited them in for a spot of the old chai but they said they couldn't stay, had to go, and both hugged me as they left.

I think I'm worried about losing more Pythons. :pensive:

Reactions: Pohemi and Captante