Monthly team challenge - World Community Grid

Fardringle

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2000
Since we have decided as a team to not officially participate in the Formula BOINC sprints any more, some of us have been talking and think it would be fun to have a Team Anandtech 'sprint' the first week of each month.

It's pretty short notice, but we'd like to encourage anyone who is interested to join us for a week of crunching World Community Grid. The "race" will go from 5 AM Sunday April 4th to 5 AM Sunday April 11th (UTC). That's midnight U.S. Central time.

Run whatever projects you want to at WCG, including the new GPU project that is currently being tested and expected to be online this weekend.

If you don't already have an account on WCG you can create one here (or just do it in the BOINC client):

And you can join the TeAm here (click the Join Team button in the middle of the page):
We'll be taking the daily stats from Free-DC.org to make things simple. All members of Team Anandtech will be automatically included.

Visitors are welcome to join in as well. If you want to be included in the stats but don't want to join the team (yet), post your BOINC/WCG ID name here so you can be added to the list.

We are hoping to make this a regular event with a different project each month, and will give better notice next month. This was just a recent idea to promote some team unity and participation after the recent problems at Formula BOINC.

edit: Added as suggested by StephanR5R:

Those who create a fresh WCG account need to enable stats export because it is off by default — When logged in to the WCG site, click on "Settings" at the very top of the screen, click "Data Sharing" on the left side, set "(x) Display my data", and click Save. This is not required to run WCG, but we won't be able to include you in the stats if you don't do it.

You can also choose to make your devices publicly visible or not on the same screen. "Link my devices" will make them visible to other people. This is not required in order to participate, and is just a matter of personal preference.

Last edited:

Fardringle

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2000
You can switch early if you like. The stats will be based on the daily updates from Free-DC.org, so it doesn't matter if you switch early or not. Tasks turned in before the start time won't be counted.

voodoo5_6k

Jan 14, 2021
I love it, cool idea :)

I'm in too, WCG is an active project on my rig anyway (almost half the threads), so I don't have to do much ;) I have too much work buffer for Rosetta to switch the entire rig over on short notice, but maybe over the course of the week... or next time.

Skivelitis2

Jan 1, 2021
Switching over early. Won't bother to turn off reporting however. Just turning the hyper-threading on and rollin towards the next badge.

Reactions: Fardringle

lane42

Diamond Member
Sep 3, 2000
I see it doesn't get in the way of PG :D

• 4/11 - 4/14 (18:00 UTC) PrimeGrid - Yuri's Night Challenge (GPUs and CPUs: WW, 3 days)
BTW, i'am in

Last edited:

StefanR5R

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2016
Naturally I will be there too. But I won't use all of my computers for thermal reasons (don't want to keep windows open just yet), and I want to keep my first little CPDN work going in parallel.

@Fardringle: Those who create a fresh WCG account need to enable stats export because it is off by default — if I recall correctly. I.e., when logged in, go to "Settings" -> "Data Sharing", set "(x) Display my data" -> [Save].
(This is not necessary to run WCG, but it is necessary for our stats taker to see the points which the user receives.)

Last edited:

Fardringle

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2000
Naturally I will be there too. But I won't use all of my computers for thermal reasons (don't want to keep windows open just yet), and I want to keep my first little CPDN work going in parallel.

@Fardringle: Those who create a fresh WCG account need to enable stats export because it is off by default — if I recall correctly. I.e., when logged in, go to "Settings" -> "Data Sharing", set "(x) Display my data" -> [Save].
(This is not necessary to run WCG, but it is necessary for our stats taker to see the points which the user receives.)
Good point. I'll add it to the main post just in case someone doesn't read the whole thread. :)

crashtech

Lifer
Jan 4, 2013
I'm already in. Ideally I would flush out my queues a bit prior to the start, but I don't want to be up at that hour!

Reactions: Fardringle

Fardringle

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2000
Starting stats have been pulled. Daily updates will be posted each morning (U.S.) as my schedule allows. I'll try to make them close to consistent but can't make any promises. They'll go by the Free-DC daily numbers so they'll be accurate regardless of when they are actually posted. ;)

Fardringle

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2000
Day 1 stats:

Name
04/04/21
697965​
264628​
160396​
112699​
97029​
66685​
63414​
60366​
43687​
34969​
26378​
25967​
24858​
23627​
19708​
19467​
18963​
18897​
13178​
9301​
7477​
6734​
3551​
3470​
2637​
2329​
1311​
1145​
610​
195​
111​

Note: This is a copy and paste from a spreadsheet. I'm actually surprised it sort of kept the formatting, although I can't figure out how to make it not spread across the whole message. I'm hoping it will keep working when I add more columns for new days.

cellarnoise

Mar 22, 2017
Congrats Team on achieving our 1.5x goal! I try to make at least one goal within reach to motivate for the next ;)

Someone should warn Oregon Power. Mark might be tempted to try and deny the team 2x goal and fire up some old inefficient iron to hold us off?