Monster truck rolls through Illinois crowd; 9 hurt EDIT VIDEO

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/08/...er.truck.ap/index.html

DEKALB, Illinois (AP) -- A monster truck performing stunts in front of an auto parts store plowed into a crowd of spectators Thursday, injuring at least nine people, officials said.

The driver of the truck, who declined to be identified, leans against the wheel where the truck came to rest.

A mother and child were in serious condition in Rockford hospitals, officials said.

Six others, including a mother and her four children, were treated and released, said Sharon Emanuelson, a spokeswoman for Kishwaukee Community Hospital in DeKalb. The other person injured was in good condition.

Another person refused medical treatment, said DeKalb Fire Chief Lanny Russell.

The demonstration, part of a monster truck tour sponsored by Napa Auto Parts, featured the truck driving over and crushing four cars.

"After its third or fourth attempt of rolling over the cars, and getting back down to the street, it appeared to have lost control and at that point careened off to the left into part of the crowd that was watching the event," said City Manager Mark Biernacki.

After plowing through the crowd, the truck went through a fence and stopped on railroad tracks, Biernacki said.

Witness Patrick Sheridan, 16, said Napa staff members had asked observers to stand back from the road after the truck's first few passes.

"I watched the guy go over two or three times getting some air and one time he went up and he came really close to hitting people," Sheridan said, adding that the truck appeared to come within just three feet of bystanders.

The final pass "was like a full-out jump because he, like, floored it and it just went up and landed on the back tires and kept going," Sheridan said.

"It sounded like he couldn't get the gas off and like it kept going and going and going," he said.

The truck driver did not appear to be injured, Biernacki said.

"There was just this sound of steel crunching," DeKalb resident James Vesely told The Daily Chronicle of DeKalb. "I ran over to see if it hit anybody's car, and I saw a woman and a little girl around 3 years old lying on the ground with dirt on them."

Jerry Nix, a spokesman for Napa's parent company, Genuine Parts Co., said he could not comment. The telephone at the auto parts store near the accident site was busy. DeKalb police would not immediately comment.

The manager of a bicycle shop on the block where the accident happened said he didn't see the incident but saw the truck performing stunts beforehand, and estimated at least 100 people were watching.

"It looked very precarious," said Tobie DePauw, manager of North Central Cyclery

ohh man. i was sopposed to take my daughter to this. but i lost track of time and missed it. my dad called me asking if we were ok (he is the one that told us about the trucks being there).

at first i didn't know wtf he was talking about. then seen it on the news. though kinda odd it made CNN

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=8e2_1186751625 video of the action!

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
people need to learn to step back a bit. its their own damn fault really... its the same reason I dont get close to trains.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: TechBoyJK
people need to learn to step back a bit. its their own damn fault really... its the same reason I dont get close to trains.

actually i blame Napa (where this was held) the most. the parking lot is VERY small. Far to small to have something like this held. there is really nowhere for people to stand safely.

though the driver and people watching have some blame. they should have known it was not safe.

just glad we didnt go.

LordMorpheus

Diamond Member
Aug 14, 2002
Rally spectators are the worst. You'll see videos of a car flying into a crowd full speed and you just know that there were 20+ casualties.

clickynext

Platinum Member
Dec 24, 2004
Originally posted by: LordMorpheus
Rally spectators are the worst. You'll see videos of a car flying into a crowd full speed and you just know that there were 20+ casualties.
Yeah, I never got that, when there are huge crowds of people lined up on each side of the stage, and you just know that if the driver makes one tiny mistake or even just catches a rock that upsets the car's balance, they're all screwed.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Originally posted by: clickynext
Yeah, I never got that, when there are huge crowds of people lined up on each side of the stage, and you just know that if the driver makes one tiny mistake or even just catches a rock that upsets the car's balance, they're all screwed.

same with golf, the crowd is right in harms way should any golfer make a bad drive.

spelling though in the OP hurts my head, but we are talking monster trucks here so it's par for the course.

PrelateBishop

Jan 10, 2001
The absolute best part of this video is that the first words you hear people screaming are, "Someone call the cops!"

With all of the police bashing on this board, it's nice to see proof-positive that when the sh*t goes down, people want the boys in blue there.

Hope all of those injured recover soon.

Crucial

Diamond Member
Dec 21, 2000
The first thing I thought of was why didn't they hit the remote kill switch. These trucks have a remote activated kill switch that keeps this type of thing from happening. Something obviously went wrong with the throttle or the driver was incompetent.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: alkemyst
Originally posted by: clickynext

same with golf, the crowd is right in harms way should any golfer make a bad drive.

spelling though in the OP hurts my head, but we are talking monster trucks here so it's par for the course.

and what was wrong? "sopposed'? hmm

HN

Diamond Member
Jan 19, 2001
amazing no one was killed.

something irks me about "thank god we're on this side."

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Originally posted by: Rudee
"somebody call the cops" um.... that should be an ambulance.

Those rednecks are looking to sue...longer the ambulance takes the better for that. ;)

hanoverphist

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2006
Originally posted by: Rudee
"somebody call the cops" um.... that should be an ambulance.

i thought it was funny when that girl said "glad we arent on that side" or something like that. made me giggle at her voice.

Specop 007

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2005
Originally posted by: PrelateBishop
The absolute best part of this video is that the first words you hear people screaming are, "Someone call the cops!"

With all of the police bashing on this board, it's nice to see proof-positive that when the sh*t goes down, people want the boys in blue there.

I would hardly say "people" represents this crowd.

Went sh*t goes down I only want one of 2 things. My gun or an ambulance. Its either over long before the police get there and I'm on my way home, or someone needs an ambulance and not the police.

Icepick

Diamond Member
Nov 1, 2004
Originally posted by: PrelateBishop

You need to get over yourself. The people who bash the cops are not necessarily the same who call on the cops for help. This video does not provide proof of anything.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
it wouldnt matter who they called (police or ambulance) it would be a 911 call so they are going to send out both.

also i wouldnt say Dekalb is "redneck" area. its a decent sized town mainly made up of college kids and people who work for NIU.

edit: redneck area is where i live. heh i am surronded by farms, cattle ranch and a pig farm.

long as the wind does not change its fine! heh

preslove

Lifer
Sep 10, 2003
Whoever put that event on should be prosecuted for some type of criminal negligence. Hopefully they'll get sued into the stone age, at least.

compman25

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2006
Originally posted by: preslove
Whoever put that event on should be prosecuted for some type of criminal negligence. Hopefully they'll get sued into the stone age, at least.

What part was criminal? Should you sue MLB or the team if you go to a game and get hit by a foull ball? No one forced them to go to the event. How about taking some personal responsibility for standing that close to a monster truck performing?

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: compman25

What part was criminal? Should you sue MLB or the team if you go to a game and get hit by a foull ball? No one forced them to go to the event. How about taking some personal responsibility for standing that close to a monster truck performing?

yeah. but the area htey ahd it is very small. but i agree they shouldnt have been standing to close to it.

wonder about the lawsuits heh.

man its all over the News! amazed.

preslove

Lifer
Sep 10, 2003
Originally posted by: compman25

Monster trucks are incredibly unpredictable when they jump cars like that. This is why monster truck events are held in big arenas with raised stands that are protected by barriers. There is a good chance that any jump will send a truck hurtling off like this. Advertising some big event in such as this in such a small space & not putting up barriers show complete stupidity and negligence. People will just crowd as close to an event like this as possible & there didn't seem to be anywhere else for them to stand (there was a set of train tracks behind them). If the people who held this event didn't get proper permitting for the event, then they should definitely go to jail. If they did, they should still be sued and the idiot who let the permit should be fired immediately.