Monitors

dguy1

Jul 25, 2012
I'm not exactly sure if this is the right place for this type of thread, but I didn't see a forum dedicated to monitors. I just built a new rig with a Radeon 7870 and eventually am going to need to get a new monitor. Right now I own a 22 inch Dell monitor that I got a year or so back. I really want something in the 23-24 inch range, but have also looked at 27. Was wondering if anyone here had any suggestions on monitors to recommend. I probably won't end up spending more than $200, but I'd still like to see whats available.

krnmastersgt

Platinum Member
Jan 10, 2008
Don't think you'll be able to find a 27" for under $200.

And if this is just for gaming, it'll likely be a TN panel, and at the end of the day many of them are going to be of roughly the same quality. Just go for the cheapest 23/24" you can find from one of the bigger names and I think you'll be fine.

Leyawiin

Diamond Member
Nov 11, 2008
Last edited:

krnmastersgt

Platinum Member
Jan 10, 2008
Great find on that Hanns 26", I'd definitely grab that if it were my money (I'm saving for a Catleap though :p)

Leyawiin

Diamond Member
Nov 11, 2008
This 23" ASUS IPS for $190 gets my vote. LED backlit and no icky TN panel to worry about.

Cheap ASUS E-IPS panels aren't much less "icky" than a TN (backlight bleeding, IPS glow). I know, I had a PA248Q (and sent it back). Still, its a good choice for the price.

mfenn

Elite Member
Jan 17, 2010
www.mfenn.com
Cheap ASUS E-IPS panels aren't much less "icky" than a TN (backlight bleeding, IPS glow). I know, I had a PA248Q (and sent it back). Still, its a good choice for the price.

We're talking about $200 monitors here, backlight quality is going to be shoddy across the board. Anyway, the viewing angles of an IPS are the trump card IMHO. A TN that has decent color accuracy and contrast from directly head-on will quickly turn to shit as soon as you move your head 6" from the sweet spot. I dunno about you, but it kind of annoys me to have to sit bolt-upright all the time.

azeem40

Mar 11, 2012
It does to me too. I am imagining doing that right now, and it hurts my neck just thinking about it.

Leyawiin

Diamond Member
Nov 11, 2008
We're talking about $200 monitors here, backlight quality is going to be shoddy across the board. Anyway, the viewing angles of an IPS are the trump card IMHO. A TN that has decent color accuracy and contrast from directly head-on will quickly turn to shit as soon as you move your head 6" from the sweet spot. I dunno about you, but it kind of annoys me to have to sit bolt-upright all the time.

And for $200 or less those shortcomings are perfectly acceptable. For $340 it wasn't. The viewing angle of that ASUS IPS I had wasn't that good - if I moved my head a few inches one way or the other the IPS glow and a slight gamma shift started rearing its head. My old HP w2207h had better, less corrupted viewing angles when looking at it more or less straight on. And that's another thing, I don't give a crap about viewing angles - I make sure I get one with a fully adjustable stand (or buy one an attach it to the VESA holes). I have one leg thrown up on my desk and am kicked back in my chair and I'm fine. If your monitor must stay in one spot and never move (or can't move), yeah, I can see how that would be an issue.

Again, your find is a good choice, though not larger in viewing area from what the O.P. already has (if his 22" is 1680x1050). Here's a good deal on it at Fry's

http://www.frys.com/product/7215383?source=googleps

Last edited:

dguy1

Jul 25, 2012
My monitor is actually 1920x1080 so really I probably don't need to upgrade, but I'd really like to get a bigger size.

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
pixels too big at 27" unless you spend enough to get a higher than 1080p resolution.

2560-by-1440 3.6 mil vs the 2 mil of 1080p.

mfenn

Elite Member
Jan 17, 2010
www.mfenn.com
And that's another thing, I don't give a crap about viewing angles - I make sure I get one with a fully adjustable stand (or buy one an attach it to the VESA holes). I have one leg thrown up on my desk and am kicked back in my chair and I'm fine. If your monitor must stay in one spot and never move (or can't move), yeah, I can see how that would be an issue.

So you're telling me that you go to the trouble of adjusting your monitor stand every single time that you want to move slightly to one side? It seems to be that it would be less trouble just to buy a proper monitor in the first place.

(And yes, I do have a monitor with a fully adjustable stand, but I can count the number of times that I've moved it on one hand.)

Last edited:

Leyawiin

Diamond Member
Nov 11, 2008
So you're telling me that you go to the trouble of adjusting your monitor stand every single time that you want to move slightly to one side? It seems to be that it would be less trouble just to buy a proper monitor in the first place.

(And yes, I do have a monitor with a fully adjustable stand, but I can count the number of times that I've moved it on one hand.)

Of course not. I have about two positions I'm in at that desk. Serious (more or less upright) and kick-back (as I described). My junky old HP TN is pretty forgiving - it really doesn't give me any trouble when I move my head around as I shift in a chair. Again, the ASUS PA248Q was worse when viewed head-on, that's why I'm back to shopping for a new monitor again (and it made me wonder what all the IPS fuss was about).

There isn't a one-size-fits-all approach to monitor shopping. There are variances between models in things like viewing angles in all IPS, MVA and TN monitors. Some are more forgiving than others even within a given type. There are even differences within a given model - my HP had three different panel manufacturers (Samsung, LG and AU). I lucked out and won the Samsung panel lottery.

rickon66

Golden Member
Oct 11, 1999
I looked this morning and Microcenter is showing stock now on those 27" 1440P IPS monitors at $399.99, they are just about the best deal going from a retail store. They were out of stock for quite awhile.

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002

its never that bad.

only if you want to use it as a tv and view from everywhere in the room does it matter....how big is your chair mat anyways?

krnmastersgt

Platinum Member
Jan 10, 2008
I looked this morning and Microcenter is showing stock now on those 27" 1440P IPS monitors at $399.99, they are just about the best deal going from a retail store. They were out of stock for quite awhile.

They're the same as the Catleaps available on eBay, A- grade panels turned into cheap IPS displays from a few Korean companies.

Mar 10, 2009
Glossy panels stink unless you game in a nearly black room, with just a touch of light directly behind the panel.

BenQ GW2450HM may be worth consideration.

mfenn

Elite Member
Jan 17, 2010
www.mfenn.com
its never that bad.

only if you want to use it as a tv and view from everywhere in the room does it matter....how big is your chair mat anyways?

I must be really sensitive to color shift then. The only desktop TN panel that I've ever used that didn't bug the hell out of me with its narrow viewing angles was a $400 Samsung from a few years ago (one of my buddies has it). Any other TN that I've used (especially the super cheap <$200 ones) bugs the hell out of me because the contrast goes to shit once you're out of the ~10 degree sweet spot.

dguy1

Jul 25, 2012
I'm debating now if I just want to pick up two 22" monitors from Dell for dual monitor purposes. I use dual monitors at work and really like it. The other option is to get one big monitor like a 23 or 24" monitor. I've had pretty good luck with Dell monitors in the past so I've been looking at those with my student discount.

mfenn

Elite Member
Jan 17, 2010
www.mfenn.com
Dell Ultrasharps are all pretty good. Their lower lines are pretty average and aren't worth any price premium though. Dual monitor is fine if you know you like it, but I wouldn't sacrifice resolution (meaning below 1080p) for it though.

krnmastersgt

Platinum Member
Jan 10, 2008
I don't think you could pick up two 22"s for $200 or less o_O

If you have a larger budget there's a LOT of displays you can look at, I was under the assumption of roughly $200 which can get you some of the cheaper 27"s when they're on sale if you go a bit over $200 (there's a Hanns G 27" for like $230 on tech bargains).

dguy1

Jul 25, 2012
I'm most likely not looking into the UltraSharp's, a little too pricey for a difference I probably won't even notice. I currently have just a regular 1080p Dell monitor and it is quite nice, so I was looking into one of their other HD monitors not in the US line. I think it'd be like $240 for two 22" monitors with the student discount. Ends up being around as much as one 23" monitor so I'm not sure which direction I'd like to take. Getting a 27" monitor might be a little silly for me considering I could just use my 32" 1080p Samsung TV if that's the case. That's actually the plan for now until I do get monitors.