Question Monitor will not wake only after playing, then closing Steam based game and allowing Win10 to power off monitor.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
So this is very weird.

Only after playing Roller Coaster Tycoon 3 or Fallout 4 on Steam will this happen.

I'll close the game, and even close the Steam app. Then leave the computer allowing the Windows 10 (build 2004) to power down the monitor after 10 minutes (this PC is also a media server so it never sleeps. Only the monitor sleeps).
When I come back to the computer, the keyboard and mouse will not wake the monitor.

BUT. if I repeatedly mash all the keys on the keyboard for 30+ seconds, the monitor finally wakes.

This happens ONLY after playing a Steam Game.

The monitor will immediately wake with the keyboard and mouse any other time. Just not directly after playing a game, closing the game and allowing the monitor to go to sleep.

Any ideas? I googled everything I could think of and found nothing.

viivo

Diamond Member
May 4, 2002
Similar issue occasionally. Could be a handshake issue. DP or HDMI? HDCP enabled/disabled? What Windows power plan are you using? In my case it seems to do it more when I use High Performance as opposed to Balanced.

You also might try disabling USB Selective Suspend/Power Management for your mouse and keyboard in device manager.

Last edited:

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
Similar issue occasionally. Could be a handshake issue. DP or HDMI? HDCP enabled/disabled? What Windows power plan are you using? In my case it seems to do it more when I use High Performance as opposed to Balanced.

You also might try disabling USB Selective Suspend/Power Management for your mouse and keyboard in device manager.

Thank you! I'll give the USB power management a try. I turned all power management off in all the USB controllers.

I'm using high performance. I'll try changing that next.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
Thank you! I'll give the USB power management a try. I turned all power management off in all the USB controllers.

I'm using high performance. I'll try changing that next.

OK, turning off all power management on all USB hubs has failed to change the behavior.

Any other ideas?

viivo

Diamond Member
May 4, 2002
Have you changed any BIOS settings not related to CPU and memory? I was just reading that enabling "Above 4g Decoding" can cause these wakeup issues. I forgot I had enabled it just for testing, and since disabling it haven't encountered the sleep problem.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
Have you changed any BIOS settings not related to CPU and memory? I was just reading that enabling "Above 4g Decoding" can cause these wakeup issues. I forgot I had enabled it just for testing, and since disabling it haven't encountered the sleep problem.

Nope, I haven't changed any BIOS settings since 2016.