Monitor Usage - On or Off?

Zirgon

Jun 10, 2000
Hi,

I have a Viewsonic PF790 monitor. I'm at my computer very often. Sometimes I play games for an hour, or browse the web. Sometimes I listen to Mp3, work on a words document, or send and read email for 10 to 15 minutes. I would be present infront of the monitor for a while and then leave, and I would come back a few minutes later. Is it better to leave my monitor on all day long until I go to bed, or is it better to turn it off when I'm not using it? I'm afraid I might damage the monitor if I turn it on and off too much. On the other hand, maybe a monitor could get damage if you leave it on for too long. How do large companies or graphic artists handle this situation? Please post your side of the issue and please include any problem you might have encountered. Thanks.

Zir

rickn

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 1999
best to leave it on if you have sleep mode. In sleep there is no power to the tube, just a small amount of power to the electronics to detect when a signal is received from the computer

jamarno

Golden Member
Jul 4, 2000
Turn it off if you're not going to use it for an hour because even in sleep mode the power supply still operates and is worn out by ripple current through the capacitors (this also applies to ATX supplies)

Turning a monitor on and off frequently doesn't harm it as much as some people think since it contains circuitry to bring up the current gradually ("soft start").

Radarman

Oct 10, 1999
I've been in the electronics industry for over 40 years, and I leave my computer and monitor on 24/7. I have my monitor set to go into standby mode after 2 hours of inactivity. Electronic components are subjected to the most electrical and mechanical stress upon turn on, components and PC board circuit traces expand when heated and contract when cool. Also get a good UPS to connect your computer and Monitor to, and install the auto shut down program. Also insure your machine is operating as cool as you can make it. Doesn't hurt to make sure its in an air conditioned room. Just my .02 cents. Ron ( Radarman )

ssjgokou1

Banned
Jul 2, 2000
radar man, I have a question about the tube expanding. When I turn of my monitor, it would make a few loud clicks minutes after I turned it off, as if there is something that's shrinking or something, which makes it click? Can I be right?

Henry Kuo

Platinum Member
Mar 3, 2000
I agree with Radarman. I am in EE field, and I am quite sure turning appliances on is giving it the most stress. For me, I set it to sleep mode after an hr of inactivity, since I am mostly in front of the computer for pretty much the whole day. When I leave the computer, that usually I won't come back until late.