Monitor still won't display after new new PSU and Video Card

rdukeman

May 20, 2005
I suspected the PSU went bad (450w OCZ), but turns out after all it was just the video card. I ended up getting a new PSU anyway (750TX Corsair), and then a new 5850. My card came in the mail today and I am still not getting any signal on my monitor.

I've checked cables dozens of times. My question is when the video card went bad is it possible it made other parts bad too? There is no beeps at start up and all the fans spin up fine. Everything seems a-okay on the machine aside from the monitor not getting a signal.

I've tried reseating the ram and switching it out to single stick to see if that could be the problem. It wasn't. If the MB or CPU was bad wouldn't the machine not boot up? This is what confuses me -- everything seems okay asided from the lost signal.

rdukeman

May 20, 2005
going to try that later. I still get the floating box saying there is no signal though.

I'm also going to boot up the machine without any ram. If I hear a beep the mb is okay, right? If there is no beep then the mb is dead.

ekoostik

Sep 10, 2009
My manual says 1 beep when successful. Without RAM its a continuous series of long beeps. What kind of motherboard do you have? Does your motherboard have a speaker or have you attached one manually?

rdukeman

May 20, 2005
I tested this last night and I didn't get any beeps, although I was attempting to listen to beeps from the mb, not the speakers themselves (I didn't even have my speakers on).

The MB I have is:GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L LGA 775 Intel P35
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813128059

I can't figure out what exactly is wrong, so I am just going to get an entire new cheap system. I don't game much more anyway and I need something to use for school.

I was thinking maybe the pci-e slot go damaged when the video card blew out. I was going to have it tested once I got my new parts.

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Maybe the motherboard is gounding out or something. Do you have any other IO cards that might not be working? Try safe mode with video support. It could be time to pull everything apart and look at things very carefully. Sometimes plugs come unplugged or fans quit running while you are working on it. When you get no beeps that may indicate grounding issues.

Take it apart or just unplug everything but the motherboard and CPU/memory and see if it will boot and give you the no video BIOS Message.

Then pull out motherboard and test it on cardboard. Eliminate all possibilities.

I had a bad hard drive once and it stopped the computer from booting, but at least it gave me a message that didnt make sense.

Last edited:

WaitingForNehalem

Platinum Member
Aug 24, 2008
Your motherboard has no speaker so you must attach one to the motherboard. It should have come with your case. It looks like this:

speaker.JPG