Monitor size

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Thanks. I play PC games and I was wondering about the higher input lag on TVs vs Computer Displays. I have a 30" Dell 1600p monitor I brought four years ago. While I love it, not everyone can afford something this pricey. So when helping other with getting computers, a lot of folks I know would be happy using a TV.

I forgot to mention that part of the reason I don't ever want to use a monitor is that I almost never play games with a mouse any longer. The games that I would have to like RTS and older titles that don't support game pads I don't play at all. It depends on where and how you are using your pc I suppose. For gaming specifically, whether you are a mouse and keyboard type of player or if you generally use a controller of some kind(I use an Xbox one elite controller) can play a role in whether a TV is right for you. I can say with certainty that it's just fine for me.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Ya, one of the things I asked in the graphics forum was whether to wait for a monitor with HDR, but no one replied to the thread during the sale.

Since now I'm using it for video also, I hope next year I don't say 'wish I'd waited and gotten HDR' or whatever other improvements.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Ya, one of the things I asked in the graphics forum was whether to wait for a monitor with HDR, but no one replied to the thread during the sale.

Since now I'm using it for video also, I hope next year I don't say 'wish I'd waited and gotten HDR' or whatever other improvements.

There's a rumor that 144hz 4k HDR monitors are coming down the pipeline.

dud

Diamond Member
Feb 18, 2001
Cool! Do you play twitch shooters, and if so, how's the lag?

I am currently playing (when I get the chance): WoT, some of the Battlefield series and the occasional game of SS3 (supposedly in 4K and it looks gorgeous) with no discernible lag. I also do a bit of RTS playing but lag would not be an issue in this case. I do not work for Samsung or BB so am not getting any kickbacks. It just works and works well for me. If anyone needs additional info just head over to Slickdeals and search for the threads related to the 40" Samsung 4K TV deals (there have been a few). There are some detractors there to using this TV as a monitor and that may be the info that you might find most useful.

Good luck ...

Marc_Plante

Aug 8, 2017
If you want to save money look into a 32" 2k 2560x1440 BenQ had a refurbished one in their outlet for 379. I love mine, though the latency might be a bit high if you're super picky and playing twitch games. I don't do anything faster than driving sims though project cars 2 may lie me into a further hw upgrade.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
I am currently playing (when I get the chance): WoT, some of the Battlefield series and the occasional game of SS3 (supposedly in 4K and it looks gorgeous) with no discernible lag. I also do a bit of RTS playing but lag would not be an issue in this case. I do not work for Samsung or BB so am not getting any kickbacks. It just works and works well for me. If anyone needs additional info just head over to Slickdeals and search for the threads related to the 40" Samsung 4K TV deals (there have been a few). There are some detractors there to using this TV as a monitor and that may be the info that you might find most useful.

Good luck ...
Thanks for the info. Right now my 2011 2500K PC (well, the Radeon 390 and SSDs are newer) is straining to provide playable rates at 1920x1080. But when I build a new rig, I'm definitely going to consider a 32" to 40" monitor or TV. As I'm pushing 60, I suspect a TV's lag will be less than my lag. lol

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
If you want to save money look into a 32" 2k 2560x1440 BenQ had a refurbished one in their outlet for 379. I love mine, though the latency might be a bit high if you're super picky and playing twitch games. I don't do anything faster than driving sims though project cars 2 may lie me into a further hw upgrade.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Man, you're right. What I have: $700 for the Acer 34" 1440p Freesynch (still new in the box, haven't opened it yet).

Costco has the HP 32" 1440p Freesynch on black friday for $249. How do you feel good about $450 more and almost 300% the price for 2" and a curve? Then 4k will come out...

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
I saw that Costco deal. Awesome price on a very good form factor.

Hard not think about getting that instead and selling the Acer while it's worth something. I wonder how the screen quality compares, Acer is IPS HP QHD or something.

marcplante

Mar 17, 2005
Qhd is just the resolution. The 2k panels have generally been VA which is very accurate and Rich with solid though not pro gaming latency. The quality on my BenQ is really good, and I suspect the HP is the same panel. There is an Asus that is also VA in the same size

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
2560x1440 is QHD I think.

Nope, I was wrong

1280px-Vector_Video_Standards8.svg.png

Reactions: Crono

calyco

Oct 7, 2004
I went 27" 1440p based on people recommending it being the sweet spot and I agree, loving the high refresh rates too. Great deal for me too since I got it for $600. But the ultra wide really got me drooling too, its just the higher price and I don't know if I would like the curve. Plus 4K 144hz coming next year so I felt like I made the right choice for the next few years, until prices come down.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
I saw today there's a same-spec monitor as the one I got, except for the curved screen, for only $500 on sale.