Monitor recommendations? Eyes are hurting

itakey

Sep 9, 2005
I can use some high end monitor recommendations. I recently switched email from XP to Windows 7 and my eyes are dying. I'll share my needs and what I have currently to help you steer recommendations.

I've been working off of 2 computers with a dual monitor setup. The monitors are:
Dell 1905 FP's running 1280X1024

My computer with my outlook email has been running Windows XP, and my other machine I browse on is Windows 7. 2 weeks back I moved my Outlook profile over to my Windows 7 machine and now my eyes feel like they want to jump out of my head. I tried to change the Clear Type settings a million different ways and it hasn't helped. So I'm wondering, could it be that my monitor is older now and I need something with more DPI?

I know that some of the newer monitors (And Apple Products) are chock full of pixels.

Anyone think a new high end monitor will help solve my issue? Anyone have any monitor recommendations? I like having 2 monitors with a hard break between the two, so I'd like to have 2 monitors again, or i'm open to 1 big one as long as its a good one.

I do not game at all, and mostly just do work all day long in the regular windows interface (Email/Browser/Internet/Etc).

Any help appreciated.

sm625

Diamond Member
May 6, 2011
What exactly is the problem? There shouldnt be that much difference between operating systems unless something is wrong.

itakey

Sep 9, 2005
What exactly is the problem? There shouldnt be that much difference between operating systems unless something is wrong.

I can't put my finger on it, but staring at my email for more than a few minutes drives me crazy and my eyes hurt, versus before I could stare at it literally all day and not feel that feeling. I switched my email over about 2 weeks ago and now that I think of it, at night I've been rubbing my eyes because they hurt so bad, and feel like they are sore after working all day. I have worked at the computer for 10+ years on the XP and never felt this.

I have one monitor on Analog, and 1 on digital. I wonder if that could have something to do with it? Maybe i'll try to switch the cables around.

Do 4K monitors display much crisper with less eye strain? Would that be a smart starting point if I want to buy a new monitor? Could my old monitor simply not be up to par with Windows 7's display capabilities and cause my eyes to go haywire?

Piroko

Jan 10, 2013
Windows 7 has brighter themes iirc, maybe that was the trigger.

There are three things that can increase eye strain:
- monitors that pulse/strobe their backlight (see this as an example)
- backlight too bright
- analog blur.
All three can be avoided/fixed. Prad.de tests for backlight strobing if you need some info on monitors.
But also get your eyes checked, just in case.

Last edited:

Denithor

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2004
With higher resolution, everything is going to be...smaller. Windows in general does a piss-poor job of adjusting for higher DPI on today's high resolution screens, it seems to work at 1080/1200p and not happy anywhere above this point. So if you have a hard time reading small print, don't go higher resolution.

Could your problem be refresh rate related? I know back in the days of the big ole CRT screens, sub-60 refresh rates would really mess with some people's eyes.

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
We have a ton of those displays here at work, and I ran them in triple head many years back. My eyes always got sore using them. They suck, period. Bad color, very slow pixel response (TONS of motion blur), and just all around poor displays.

I now run dual U2412M's and love them. They are a 24" 16x10 1920x1200 display. Great color, good pixel response, they are IPS, and things are reasonably sharp. My eyes were very happy after switching.

itakey

Sep 9, 2005
Windows 7 has brighter themes iirc, maybe that was the trigger.

There are three things that can increase eye strain:
- monitors that pulse/strobe their backlight (see this as an example)
- backlight too bright
- analog blur.
All three can be avoided/fixed. Prad.de tests for backlight strobing if you need some info on monitors.
But also get your eyes checked, just in case.

Good points, I'm going to try that backlight pulse strobe test. The thing is that these monitors never bothered me until they were on Windows 7. Did Windows XP somehow display differently that could cause this?

I had my eyes checked a few months back. I wear glasses for distance, but unfortunately I need them in front of the computer now too with age, but again I never had the issue and I literally feel it and then don't if I switch back. I am running Outlook 2007 by choice, I wonder if a newer version may display better in Windows 7?

With higher resolution, everything is going to be...smaller. Windows in general does a piss-poor job of adjusting for higher DPI on today's high resolution screens, it seems to work at 1080/1200p and not happy anywhere above this point. So if you have a hard time reading small print, don't go higher resolution.

Could your problem be refresh rate related? I know back in the days of the big ole CRT screens, sub-60 refresh rates would really mess with some people's eyes.
Good point, I was just thinking that. Forgot that the 4K's have double the height so all is smaller. Definitely going to stick around the current resolution I have then.

We have a ton of those displays here at work, and I ran them in triple head many years back. My eyes always got sore using them. They suck, period. Bad color, very slow pixel response (TONS of motion blur), and just all around poor displays.

I now run dual U2412M's and love them. They are a 24" 16x10 1920x1200 display. Great color, good pixel response, they are IPS, and things are reasonably sharp. My eyes were very happy after switching.
Its funny you mention the U2412M because in early 2013 I decided I wanted a bigger monitor and bought it. I couldn't get used to having 1 monitor vs 2, so I returned it. Might have to try that one out again. Is there anything better out now, or is that still a solid monitor? Or are there any 27's that keep a similar aspect ratio but are wider and worthy?

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
Good points, I'm going to try that backlight pulse strobe test. The thing is that these monitors never bothered me until they were on Windows 7. Did Windows XP somehow display differently that could cause this?

I had my eyes checked a few months back. I wear glasses for distance, but unfortunately I need them in front of the computer now too with age, but again I never had the issue and I literally feel it and then don't if I switch back. I am running Outlook 2007 by choice, I wonder if a newer version may display better in Windows 7?

Good point, I was just thinking that. Forgot that the 4K's have double the height so all is smaller. Definitely going to stick around the current resolution I have then.

Its funny you mention the U2412M because in early 2013 I decided I wanted a bigger monitor and bought it. I couldn't get used to having 1 monitor vs 2, so I returned it. Might have to try that one out again. Is there anything better out now, or is that still a solid monitor? Or are there any 27's that keep a similar aspect ratio but are wider and worthy?

There is a U2415 (24=size, 15=year), and its only ~$50 more than the U2412M. Same 16x10 aspect ratio.

They do have some nice 27" 1440P displays, but they cost significantly more. The U2715H is a nice display, but its ~$600.

itakey

Sep 9, 2005
There is a U2415 (24=size, 15=year), and its only ~$50 more than the U2412M. Same 16x10 aspect ratio.

They do have some nice 27" 1440P displays, but they cost significantly more. The U2715H is a nice display, but its ~$600.

Thanks for the clarification on the models, never connected those dots.
So is the U2415 worth the price difference? Is it slightly better than the 2414? I don't mind the extra $50 if so.

With a 27", I'm guessing the 1440p vs 1200p in the U2414/U2415, versus my current 1024p will feel like a big difference and much smaller, do you agree? Might be better I stick to 1200 or less since i'm so used to the 1024 resolution.

Thanks again!

Piroko

Jan 10, 2013
For productivity I fell in love with the 27" 1440p combination. A Dell U2713HM has the same horizontal resolution as your two screens combined, with a decent increase in vertical resolution. The idea is to use it similarly to your current setup, with one program only using half the screen realestate.
It is, however, 110 pixels per inch, compared to the 86 that your current screens have. The same resolution in a 32" panel would be closer to what you are used to (92 ppi), so maybe give that a thought.

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
The 19" display you have now, next to one of these 24" 1920x1200 displays, things are almost the same size (Slightly larger on the 24" actually). Since the display is larger, the higher resolution keeps things about the same.

The U2415 has a better pixel response (6ms vs 8ms), and a much smaller bezel. Also a few other smaller features which probably wont matter much.

itakey

Sep 9, 2005
For productivity I fell in love with the 27" 1440p combination. A Dell U2713HM has the same horizontal resolution as your two screens combined, with a decent increase in vertical resolution. The idea is to use it similarly to your current setup, with one program only using half the screen realestate.
It is, however, 110 pixels per inch, compared to the 86 that your current screens have. The same resolution in a 32" panel would be closer to what you are used to (92 ppi), so maybe give that a thought.
That looks like a sweet monitor. I'm worries that all the icons and text will get too small. Maybe I'll head over to Best Buy and see the resolutions and decide if that's too big or too much of a change right away. In terms of one program per half, I know that Windows nicely will split program window sizes to half so i'll have to adjust.

The 19" display you have now, next to one of these 24" 1920x1200 displays, things are almost the same size (Slightly larger on the 24" actually). Since the display is larger, the higher resolution keeps things about the same.

The U2415 has a better pixel response (6ms vs 8ms), and a much smaller bezel. Also a few other smaller features which probably wont matter much.
Yes, agreed, that was my goal, to get a monitor that is as close to the ones I have now. I might just be stuck in my ways after doing it for so long like this, but I work like a mad man on the computer and I can't be slowed down so I'll try not to change too much at once.

I just looked up the specs and noticed the U2415 does not have a VGA any longer, where the U2412 does. I'm relying on the built in motherboard video through my intel processor. If I don't use 2 monitors it won't be an issue, but if I want to ever go dual U2415 I'd have to get an adapter or upgrade my video card I guess.

Maybe i'll start with the U2415 and see how I like it. Of course Amazon has this out of stock until the 30th so i'll have to wait a bit if I want to go that route. In the meantime i'll probably pop over to Best Buy and see some resolutions in person.

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
Maybe i'll start with the U2415 and see how I like it. Of course Amazon has this out of stock until the 30th so i'll have to wait a bit if I want to go that route. In the meantime i'll probably pop over to Best Buy and see some resolutions in person.

Viewing in person is always a good idea when making such a big change in displays.

Fox5

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2005
BenQ has an entire line of flicker free monitors. I got one and it's been great.

Also, if you set the brightness to maximum, it will eliminate the PWM flickering on most monitors, but the monitor may become too bright if you do this.

I find having a 144hz monitor is really nice too, even for desktop use. Even the mouse motion looks more fluid.

I got this monitor: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824014451

And it's been great as far as eye strain goes.

KingFatty

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2010
Maybe there is something going on with the change in operating systems.

Perhaps you had a custom setting in the old operating system, to make the fonts or resolution bigger?

And under the new operating system, you are using the default values that perhaps are not as big as the custom resolution or font size you were running under the old OS?

itakey

Sep 9, 2005
Here is an idea, I just googled intel graphics 3000 hurt eyes and there are some threads where people say the integrated graphics hurt their eyes. Think it is worth buying a dedicated video card to see if the problem goes away?

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
If you are using an HD3000, just about any $100 card will blow it away.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
BenQ has an entire line of flicker free monitors. I got one and it's been great.

Also, if you set the brightness to maximum, it will eliminate the PWM flickering on most monitors, but the monitor may become too bright if you do this.

I find having a 144hz monitor is really nice too, even for desktop use. Even the mouse motion looks more fluid.

I got this monitor: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824014451

And it's been great as far as eye strain goes.
Yeah, I have a 27" 1080p BenQ and love it. Of all the monitors I have owned or worked with, it is head and shoulders above, even the Viewsonics. But I've never used really high end or 1440.

chubbyfatazn

Golden Member
Oct 14, 2006
I like having 2 monitors with a hard break between the two, so I'd like to have 2 monitors again, or i'm open to 1 big one as long as its a good one.

LG's ultrawides (21:9) come with software that allow you to "split" the screen into two. So if the monitor is 2560x1080, you get two 1280x1080 halves - pretty close to your current setup strictly in terms of resolution. No more "hard split"/bezels, if you can live with that.

I've never tried it on my LGs (I have the 25" and 34" ultrawides) so I can't tell you how it works in practice. Maybe someone else here can?

If you're concerned about high pixel density, LG does make two versions (ignoring variants) of the 34", one at 2560x1080 and the other at 3440x1440. The 25" and 29" versions clock in at 2560x1080.

What's your budget?

TeknoBug

Platinum Member
Oct 2, 2013
I've experienced eye strain and it turned out I needed new glasses, maybe you do too.

xthetenth

Golden Member
Oct 14, 2014
LG's ultrawides (21:9) come with software that allow you to "split" the screen into two. So if the monitor is 2560x1080, you get two 1280x1080 halves - pretty close to your current setup strictly in terms of resolution. No more "hard split"/bezels, if you can live with that.

I've never tried it on my LGs (I have the 25" and 34" ultrawides) so I can't tell you how it works in practice. Maybe someone else here can?

It's fantastic. You get a bunch of options for splitting the screen, you just drag programs into the regions and they resize, and if you change the size of a window in a region, it dynamically resizes that region. It'll do a bunch of presets, no more than three columns though.

Deders

Platinum Member
Oct 14, 2012
Before investing in a new monitor, try turning the brightness down.

Fox5

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2005
I would turn the brightness down and invest in a cheap pair of computer glasses, maybe even ones with slight magnification.

I wear these at work and at home - http://www.amazon.com/OG-003-C1-Erg...UTF8&qid=1435158940&sr=1-1&keywords=gamma+ray

I no longer get headaches after working in front of a monitor all day. They may not work for you, but I would give them a try, since they're so cheap.

Or turn the brightness up, depending on what the issue is.

Most monitors have PWM flickering if the brightness is not at 100%. To verify this, just use a cell phone camera and see if you can see lines scrolling across the screen. If you do, then your monitor is flickering in a way that can cause eye strain and headaches.