Monitor Problem?

OhMan

Mar 30, 2000
Hi guys, I have a 2 months old ViewSonic E771 monitor and for some reason it started to give me some 'flash' screen from time to time. It looks like the monitor was suddently being turned off and then back on in less than a second... Originally I thought that no big deal, it's probably because of my Voodoo3 3000 is too hot or something like that, but now that I got a Belkin KVM switch and it's also happening when I switch to other PCs (running Linux, with other video cards). So now I think it's probably I got a defective monitor. Could anyone confirm this or give me some tips about how to trouble shoot to make sure it's the MONITOR that is at fault?? And if you are a hardware expert, why is this new MONITOR doing that?? thanks!

Shagga

Diamond Member
Nov 9, 1999
That doesn't sound too good. What sort of warranty do you have. If it's only two months old, change the thing, then you'll be sure.

;)

Henry Kuo

Platinum Member
Mar 3, 2000
Not good at all. Maybe wires inside are loose or the CRT is not going well. Either case you should change it.

ssjgokou1

Banned
Jul 2, 2000
oh man, don't listen to them, I got a compaq monitor that does the same thing, first try to find out what the led's stand for from your manufacturer. I had the samething happen to my compaq, the light would keep blinking like it was broken, then I read the owners manual and it said " blinking lights mean 'out of range'" hope this reaches you in time, I don't want you to do some crazy sh!t, I saw this one thing on the news a couple of weeks ago that made me sick, some dude was drunk and drove his car over a bridge... oh sorry got carried away :p :D

CamaroGuy

Jun 3, 2000
Does the flashing occur at all resolutions?

I had a KDS AV-21TF that did the same thing, but only during a DOS full screen, BIOS/bootup screens, and the Windows startup/shutdown splash screens. These screens all are displayed at 720 x ? resolution. The normal VGA resolutions 640x480, 800x600, 1024x768, etc. all worked okay. Turns out that a resistor used at the 720 x ? resolution setting went bad inside the monitor. The bad resistor could not hold the signal for much more than a few seconds before it would cut out. The effect is like pulling the video cable in and out of the connector on the back, right?

Either way, if you have used multiple video cards and the monitor does the same thing, I am 99% sure the monitor is defective. Just try a different video cable and power supply cable to be 100% sure.

Hope that helps.

-CamaroGuy

OhMan

Mar 30, 2000
Yes it occurs at every resolution, I'm about 95% sure that it's the monitor problem now... might has a loose part in the monitor or something.. darn!