Monitor power button broke - at least it's in the on position

MichaelD

Lifer
Jan 16, 2001
I turn my monitor off when not using the PC; uses less electricity than in "standby." I guess about 18 months of doing that took it's toll on the power button on my Dell 2407FPW. I turned it on and the button didn't pop back out.

The buttons have about 1mm of travel and are spring loaded. I don't recall hearing anything pop or snap. The button is stuck in the depressed position. I've tried prying it back out, pressing while turning it, etc. Rest of the buttons are fine, so it's not like the whole "button control panel" came loose or anything.

I've had the monitor about 18 months or so...it's warranty is most probably just one year, right? I'm pretty handy and am not too afraid of opening it up...unless that's a really bad idea? Has this happened to anyone else? Can I fix this myself?

grimlykindo

Jan 27, 2005
Research your warranty or just call dell - if no warranty then pop that sucker open! If the button is ruined just remove it and use a pen or something to stick in where the button was and turn it on.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
i believe most monitors average 3 years warranty. You can try to replace it with a switch; if it is out of warranty, it is not difficult to see what is wrong

i had the same thing happen on my CRT 18 months ago; i never bothered to take it apart .. i just use a power strip now
- when it finally doesn't power on, out it goes .. i got it in Y2K and got my $$$s worth long ago.

rose.gif

MichaelD

Lifer
Jan 16, 2001
Thanks guys. I haven't had a chance to check the warranty...I'd be using a 15" monitor if I had to send this one in. Wonder if the 4870X2 would be enough for it? ;) I may just deal with it.

Barnaby W. Füi

Elite Member
Aug 14, 2001
Bump...

The problem is not the electrical switch itself, or even the plastic button part. It's that they're misaligned with each other. It's a flaw in the monitor's design. Eventually random luck (and maybe pressing especially hard) causes the button to pop out of alignment and rotate. If you can manage to get the power button rotated back to its normal orientation, it should work normally again. But you need to put a piece of clear tape over the whole thing to keep it from rotating again. Actually, tape may be the best way to get it rotated. I think I used my fingernails or something.

I'm on my second or third 2407wfp. I think it's the second... they sent me a third but it had a BAD overheating problem to the point of being useless, so I sent it back with a pissed off letter inside. My current one also actually overheats, but only after 1) being on a long time and 2) watching full screen (or nearly full screen) video, which is rare. I'm not really a big multimedia person.

I'm actually pretty disgusted at the high rate of these two problems that I've seen in the three 2407wfp's I've had. I'm still under warranty so I'm gonna try and demand a refund since they clearly NEVER solved these problems. Maybe I could get an upgrade to the 2408 for free?

Anyone know if the 2408wfp has overheating or busted power button problems?

edit: Also, when you do a warranty exchange, they send one out and you send yours back only after receiving the replacement. At least that's how it was for me. I ordered it through my former employer so the process might be different due to that.

Synomenon

Lifer
Dec 25, 2004
My 2407WFP's power button broke as well. Got tired of having to rotate the button to get it to work so I called Dell and they send me a 2408WFP. I've had the 2408WFP for half as long as I had the 2407WFP. The power button design on the 2408WFP looks pretty much like the one on the 2407WFP (at least externally) so I don't bother turning it off since it's probably going to break too.

Barnaby W. Füi

Elite Member
Aug 14, 2001
Originally posted by: IsLNdbOi
My 2407WFP's power button broke as well. Got tired of having to rotate the button to get it to work so I called Dell and they send me a 2408WFP. I've had the 2408WFP for half as long as I had the 2407WFP. The power button design on the 2408WFP looks pretty much like the one on the 2407WFP (at least externally) so I don't bother turning it off since it's probably going to break too.

Well, lots of Dell's monitors have those same buttons, but to my knowledge only the 2407wfp had this problem. I would LIKE to think that the flaw cost them so much money in warranty claims that they fixed it, but I guess you never know. Cool that they sent a 2408 though. I'm definitely gonna try to get that. Did they tell you they would send a 2408, or was it a surprise when it arrived?

Vikroda

Apr 9, 2003
Resurrecting an old thread...
Originally posted by: BingBongWongFooey
If you can manage to get the power button rotated back to its normal orientation, it should work normally again. But you need to put a piece of clear tape over the whole thing to keep it from rotating again. Actually, tape may be the best way to get it rotated.
Thanks. My 2407 was driving me nuts with the rotating power button. The tape did the trick. My 2408's button feels a little firmer so hopefully it was designed differently (I always turn off both monitors when not using them).

boran

Golden Member
Jun 17, 2001
heh My 2001FP has the exact same issue. But a new screen with similar display tech will set me back 500 euros so I'm just living with it in the on state.
Mine behaves differently tho. Every time I press it it is like stuck on the power button. The screen quickly switches on and off. For fear of destroying it I just leave it on now.

beyondabraxas

Sep 1, 2012
Barnaby W. Füi;27124909 said:
Bump...

The problem is not the electrical switch itself, or even the plastic button part. It's that they're misaligned with each other. It's a flaw in the monitor's design. Eventually random luck (and maybe pressing especially hard) causes the button to pop out of alignment and rotate. If you can manage to get the power button rotated back to its normal orientation, it should work normally again. But you need to put a piece of clear tape over the whole thing to keep it from rotating again. Actually, tape may be the best way to get it rotated. I think I used my fingernails or something.

I'm on my second or third 2407wfp. I think it's the second... they sent me a third but it had a BAD overheating problem to the point of being useless, so I sent it back with a pissed off letter inside. My current one also actually overheats, but only after 1) being on a long time and 2) watching full screen (or nearly full screen) video, which is rare. I'm not really a big multimedia person.

I'm actually pretty disgusted at the high rate of these two problems that I've seen in the three 2407wfp's I've had. I'm still under warranty so I'm gonna try and demand a refund since they clearly NEVER solved these problems. Maybe I could get an upgrade to the 2408 for free?

Anyone know if the 2408wfp has overheating or busted power button problems?

edit: Also, when you do a warranty exchange, they send one out and you send yours back only after receiving the replacement. At least that's how it was for me. I ordered it through my former employer so the process might be different due to that.

Dude! I have had this monitor since 2007, so thats like what? 5 years? its secondary to my 24HD Cintiq - And this power button thing has been an issue to me for like probably 3 Years! I'd just switch it to a non used input to make the display turn dark. But it still always stayed hot.

This "Tape" solution, just got some masking tape, used it to rotate the button, and viola! The only other solution I'd seen online was the youtube video fix which required you to open up the whole display.

So ultimately One my greatest daily frustrations was fixed with a piece of sticky tape?!

THANK YOU DUDE!!! (I made an account just to say this to you)
You are like a hero to me.

stereoman

Jul 6, 2022
The on button just broke on my acer nitro super ultrawide, a little gutted as I've had it a few years and it's out of warranty, I might attempt repair as I managed to find the plastic piece that's broke however it has remote control and still works fine switching on and off with the remote.