Monitor for console gaming - inputs, calibration, panel type

killazys

Dec 14, 2011
As title notes, I'm looking for a monitor that can act as a secondary monitor for my PC as well as act as the display for my video game consoles. I play a little bit of everything, but I definitely don't play competitive FPSes or anything like that. I've played shooters on both the ZR2440W and the old ZR24W and they both felt fine.

What this means is that I need HDMI input and audio output, preferably multiple HDMI inputs and audio output located in a nice, easy-to-reach location (not on the bottom of the monitor). So far I'm looking at BenQ EW2440L, ASUS MX239H, ASUS VX248H, AOC i2367Fh. I don't have room for more than 24", I'm pretty sure.

In terms of color, I do operate on a color-calibrated ZR2440W. I understand that TNs have bad color representation, but is this true even after calibration? I don't have a spectrometer, but I do have a i1 Pro that I use argyllCMS with. Would viewing angles be a problem on a 23-24" monitor if I'm the only one playing?

I'm also unsure of how to actually calibrate a monitor without a PC--as I understand it, most of the calibration happens on the video card LUTs anyway so how does that actually calibrate a monitor for other inputs?

I've also found some "HDTV Monitors" which are basically monitors that include component input as well as HDMI input. An examples is the Samsung T24C550ND. Component will be useful for my old X360, but I'm wondering if using a converter such as this one (link) would really hurt the image quality.

Thanks for any help!

Wall Street

Mar 28, 2012
I would go with the BenQ RL2455HM since it is specifically marketed as a 60 Hz, 1080p gaming monitor, which makes it perfect for consoles. Watch out for some of those "TVs" because the controller chips on them tend to add 30-50 ms of delay.

Here is the monitor I am thinking of.