Molotov Cocktail

kevinthenerd

Platinum Member
Jun 27, 2002
I find the trouble of Molotov cocktails is getting the wick to stay lit. It needs to be wind resistant to stay lit during the throw. I thought about using trick candles (with the bits of Magnesium in them), but the most effective way I've found so far is to make a cylindrical cork out of a paper towel, turn the bottle over for a couple of seconds, reverse the "cork" (so the outside is wet), and to light the "cork." If you fill the bottle completely there won't be Oxygen in it for it to burn in your hand.

Any one else stupid enough to do this stuff?

giantpinkbunnyhead

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2005
Ah, yes... i made many of those in my troubled youth days, and as much as I could help point you in the right direction... my sense of responsibility (what little of it I have) tells me I should not. After all, there's a good reason why the roof of my old neighbor's house is black.

kevinthenerd

Platinum Member
Jun 27, 2002
I live in the city, but I do a LOT of driving before I get to a nice place where I feel like I won't hurt anyone but myself to do this kind of stuff.

Aquila76

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2004
www.facebook.com
I agree with gpbh. For the sake of seeing this thread continue however, I will suggest using a REAL towel and not paper towel (they burn better).

Rubycon

Madame President
Aug 10, 2005
Originally posted by: Aquila76
I agree with gpbh. For the sake of seeing this thread continue however, I will suggest using a REAL towel and not paper towel (they burn better).

Boiler rope works well as a fuse too. ;)

kevinthenerd

Platinum Member
Jun 27, 2002
It sounds like something that's capable of trapping some still air away from the air stream (like thick cloth or braided rope) would work better.

Rubycon

Madame President
Aug 10, 2005
Originally posted by: kevinthenerd
It sounds like something that's capable of trapping some still air away from the air stream (like thick cloth or braided rope) would work better.

The wicking (capillary action) of the spiral-wound FG rope works and it will not burn. Check out the forums over at rogue science if you have the desire to learn about pyrotech on a pro level. ;)

NEWKILLA

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000
THE WEB SITE NAME IS

PLO.COM

the thing i luv @ cocktail throwers is im a long range shooter
SO you can run but you ll only die tired--OSOK(one shot one kill)

GOTTA LUV DA US OF A

******k******

jadinolf

Lifer
Oct 12, 1999
I find the trouble of Molotov cocktails is getting the wick to stay lit. It needs to be wind resistant to stay lit during the throw. I thought about using trick candles (with the bits of Magnesium in them), but the most effective way I've found so far is to make a cylindrical cork out of a paper towel, turn the bottle over for a couple of seconds, reverse the "cork" (so the outside is wet), and to light the "cork." If you fill the bottle completely there won't be Oxygen in it for it to burn in your hand.

Any one else stupid enough to do this stuff?

I have the same problem.

Eeezee

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2005
Why don't you use a rag and why don't you wet it first? You don't need the rag to burn well, it just needs to burn.

MrPickins

Diamond Member
May 24, 2003
Another tip, put 1/4 to 1/3 a bottle of sand in first. Gives it some weight, and helps the glass break easier. :evil:

jagec

Lifer
Apr 30, 2004
but the most effective way I've found so far is to make a cylindrical cork out of a paper towel, turn the bottle over for a couple of seconds, reverse the "cork" (so the outside is wet), and to light the "cork." If you fill the bottle completely there won't be Oxygen in it for it to burn in your hand.

Wait, there's another way besides that one?:confused:

And you're supposed to use CLOTH.

potato28

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2005
Originally posted by: MS Dawn

The wicking (capillary action) of the spiral-wound FG rope works and it will not burn. Check out the forums over at rogue science if you have the desire to learn about pyrotech on a pro level. ;)

Wow those guys are crazy over at rouge science! And OP: cloth for the wick, not paper.

Rubycon

Madame President
Aug 10, 2005
Nah the terrorist certainly wouldn't use the molotov cocktail or even an ANFO based device. ;)

kevinthenerd

Platinum Member
Jun 27, 2002
Originally posted by: MrPickins
Another tip, put 1/4 to 1/3 a bottle of sand in first. Gives it some weight, and helps the glass break easier. :evil:

good call! I had a couple of "duds" that ended up just rolling and pouring burning gas out of them, creating burning lines on the ground that looked like the Delorean burnout lines in Back to the Future

ta8689

Golden Member
Feb 5, 2006
ok dude, dont hurt yourself. Btw... if you wanan try somethin really cool, microwave a can of starter fluid. (JUST KIDDING)

kevinthenerd

Platinum Member
Jun 27, 2002
Originally posted by: ta8689
ok dude, dont hurt yourself. Btw... if you wanan try somethin really cool, microwave a can of starter fluid. (JUST KIDDING)

That almost makes me wish I had a big open field, a spare microwave, and a very long extension cord. I would imagine that the pressure that would create would blow the door off the microwave. I'd want to throw in some kind of oxidizer, though, because the inside of the microwave could be prohibitive (and it might run too rich to be effective).