Mold in bathroom (coop) - do we fix it or does the management?

Mar 15, 2003
Cliffs to start it, not end it:

1A. I live in a condo/coop (we own and do not rent)
1. Found a mushroom in the tub, along the grout.
2. Googled it - seems like it's probably due to a mold infestation
3. We had a series of leaks from the shower of our upstairs neighbor, our bathroom ceiling had to be fixed twice
4. Think the mold is related to the water damage from the leak

I'm going to call the super immediately, but how "forceful" should I be when suggesting they cover the repairs, since I'm thinking it'll be quite an expensive thing to fix?

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
Let them determine how forceful you need to be. If you are in the right then you can always get forceful later. Lawyer up even if need be.

But if this is really one of those "you own the grout, you own the mushroom, you do with it what you want" situations then you need to be a happy beggar, not a choosy beggar, and you might get lucky.

NoShangriLa

Golden Member
Sep 3, 2006
Depends on the condo policies that you sign, but most in wall water problem is the strata problem because it can damage more than one units.

shiner

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
Your course of action is clear

Leviticus Chapter 14
Verses 33 - 53

33 The LORD said to Moses and Aaron, 34 "When you enter the land of Canaan, which I am giving you as your possession, and I put a spreading mildew in a house in that land, 35 the owner of the house must go and tell the priest, 'I have seen something that looks like mildew in my house.' 36 The priest is to order the house to be emptied before he goes in to examine the mildew, so that nothing in the house will be pronounced unclean. After this the priest is to go in and inspect the house. 37 He is to examine the mildew on the walls, and if it has greenish or reddish depressions that appear to be deeper than the surface of the wall, 38 the priest shall go out the doorway of the house and close it up for seven days. 39 On the seventh day the priest shall return to inspect the house. If the mildew has spread on the walls, 40 he is to order that the contaminated stones be torn out and thrown into an unclean place outside the town. 41 He must have all the inside walls of the house scraped and the material that is scraped off dumped into an unclean place outside the town. 42 Then they are to take other stones to replace these and take new clay and plaster the house.

43 "If the mildew reappears in the house after the stones have been torn out and the house scraped and plastered, 44 the priest is to go and examine it and, if the mildew has spread in the house, it is a destructive mildew; the house is unclean. 45 It must be torn down?its stones, timbers and all the plaster?and taken out of the town to an unclean place.

46 "Anyone who goes into the house while it is closed up will be unclean till evening. 47 Anyone who sleeps or eats in the house must wash his clothes.

48 "But if the priest comes to examine it and the mildew has not spread after the house has been plastered, he shall pronounce the house clean, because the mildew is gone. 49 To purify the house he is to take two birds and some cedar wood, scarlet yarn and hyssop. 50 He shall kill one of the birds over fresh water in a clay pot. 51 Then he is to take the cedar wood, the hyssop, the scarlet yarn and the live bird, dip them into the blood of the dead bird and the fresh water, and sprinkle the house seven times. 52 He shall purify the house with the bird's blood, the fresh water, the live bird, the cedar wood, the hyssop and the scarlet yarn. 53 Then he is to release the live bird in the open fields outside the town. In this way he will make atonement for the house, and it will be clean."

Epic Fail

Diamond Member
May 10, 2005
Originally posted by: shinerburke

Leviticus Chapter 14
Verses 33 - 53

33 The LORD said to Moses and Aaron, 34 "When you enter the land of Canaan, which I am giving you as your possession, and I put a spreading mildew in a house in that land, 35 the owner of the house must go and tell the priest, 'I have seen something that looks like mildew in my house.' 36 The priest is to order the house to be emptied before he goes in to examine the mildew, so that nothing in the house will be pronounced unclean. After this the priest is to go in and inspect the house. 37 He is to examine the mildew on the walls, and if it has greenish or reddish depressions that appear to be deeper than the surface of the wall, 38 the priest shall go out the doorway of the house and close it up for seven days. 39 On the seventh day the priest shall return to inspect the house. If the mildew has spread on the walls, 40 he is to order that the contaminated stones be torn out and thrown into an unclean place outside the town. 41 He must have all the inside walls of the house scraped and the material that is scraped off dumped into an unclean place outside the town. 42 Then they are to take other stones to replace these and take new clay and plaster the house.

43 "If the mildew reappears in the house after the stones have been torn out and the house scraped and plastered, 44 the priest is to go and examine it and, if the mildew has spread in the house, it is a destructive mildew; the house is unclean. 45 It must be torn down?its stones, timbers and all the plaster?and taken out of the town to an unclean place.

46 "Anyone who goes into the house while it is closed up will be unclean till evening. 47 Anyone who sleeps or eats in the house must wash his clothes.

48 "But if the priest comes to examine it and the mildew has not spread after the house has been plastered, he shall pronounce the house clean, because the mildew is gone. 49 To purify the house he is to take two birds and some cedar wood, scarlet yarn and hyssop. 50 He shall kill one of the birds over fresh water in a clay pot. 51 Then he is to take the cedar wood, the hyssop, the scarlet yarn and the live bird, dip them into the blood of the dead bird and the fresh water, and sprinkle the house seven times. 52 He shall purify the house with the bird's blood, the fresh water, the live bird, the cedar wood, the hyssop and the scarlet yarn. 53 Then he is to release the live bird in the open fields outside the town. In this way he will make atonement for the house, and it will be clean."

lay off the shrooms before posting.

shiner

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
Originally posted by: yamadakun
Originally posted by: shinerburke

Leviticus Chapter 14
Verses 33 - 53

lay off the shrooms before posting.

Hey....I didn't write it. Just making sure you are following God's law

AgaBoogaBoo

Lifer
Feb 16, 2003
1A. I live in a condo/coop (we own and do not rent)

So you guys own it together, right?

If so, you need to talk to the guys above you about their issue, unless it's in the piping, before going to management.

tnitsuj

Diamond Member
May 22, 2003
Even if a leak existed, does anyone else find it odd that these guys let it go until an actual mushroom grew in the tub? I mean how often you clean your tub? I can't imagine allowing anything to grow in my tub back in the states.

Mar 15, 2003
Originally posted by: tnitsuj
Even if a leak existed, does anyone else find it odd that these guys let it go until an actual mushroom grew in the tub? I mean how often you clean your tub? I can't imagine allowing anything to grow in my tub back in the states.

The tub is SPOTLESS.. I have two cats who wander in there so me and the roommates clean it every day.

The mold issue is probably behind the tiles.