Modifying alternator for higher voltages?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

HydroBudz

Mar 21, 2008
Originally posted by: TitanDiddly
Originally posted by: HydroBudz
Out of curiosity, what are you trying to accomplish with 3-4 12v batteries in series?

Without modifying the alternator you could simply pick up a "Battery Isolator" to effectively charge 4 batteries off 1 alternator. It will individually charge each battery. They've been using these types of units in car audio and marine/boat use for years.

http://www.emarineinc.com/prod...rnators/isolators.html

I'm not trying to thread crap, but why reinvent the wheel?

It's a 48v system. I'm not just trying to charge 4 12v batteries at once just so I can take them off and use them separately, it's a complete system. Think golf cart or forklift.

futuristicmonkey-thanks for all the info, I just got back from camping and I'll get back to you with some more questions later.

Exactly. My Gambler bass boat has a 48v trolling motor system. 4x12 deep cycle interstate batteries. All of which charge off of 1 alternator. I don't remove anything, or change anything around while in use or charging. All 4 batteries are wired in series. So, yes, thinking along the lines of a golf cart, my boat is wired the same, only my boat runs off of a gas motor with an alternator that charges all of those batteries that power a 48v trolling motor.

As others have states, modifying an alternator is not recommended. They are built around certain voltage and heat tolerances. If either are exceeded the unit is due to fail in a short amount of time.

A battery isolator simply isolates the batteries for charging purposes and does not break them from being in series during use.

TitanDiddly

Dec 8, 2003
Originally posted by: TitanDiddly
Out of curiosity, what are you trying to accomplish with 3-4 12v batteries in series?

Without modifying the alternator you could simply pick up a "Battery Isolator" to effectively charge 4 batteries off 1 alternator. It will individually charge each battery. They've been using these types of units in car audio and marine/boat use for years.

http://www.emarineinc.com/prod...rnators/isolators.html

I'm not trying to thread crap, but why reinvent the wheel?

It's a 48v system. I'm not just trying to charge 4 12v batteries at once just so I can take them off and use them separately, it's a complete system. Think golf cart or forklift.

futuristicmonkey-thanks for all the info, I just got back from camping and I'll get back to you with some more questions later.

Exactly. My Gambler bass boat has a 48v trolling motor system. 4x12 deep cycle interstate batteries. All of which charge off of 1 alternator. I don't remove anything, or change anything around while in use or charging. All 4 batteries are wired in series. So, yes, thinking along the lines of a golf cart, my boat is wired the same, only my boat runs off of a gas motor with an alternator that charges all of those batteries that power a 48v trolling motor.

As others have states, modifying an alternator is not recommended. They are built around certain voltage and heat tolerances. If either are exceeded the unit is due to fail in a short amount of time.

A battery isolator simply isolates the batteries for charging purposes and does not break them from being in series during use.

Okay, but that battery isolator is $110+, whereas modifying an existing alternator could be $20 or so. Using an isolator makes sense if you want a plug-in solution that doesn't modify anything, but I'm more than willing to get dirty and ghetto-rig a solution in order to learn something and save ~$90 to boot.

greenplanet

Jun 14, 2020
Hello TitanDiddly, have you finally done the required modification? of so can you share what components are changed and if you are getting the desired results. I have been working on exactly the same thing and looking for a solution.

TitanDiddly has not visited the forums since 2008.
administrator allisolm

Last edited by a moderator: