Modify an existing build or new build? Gaming/HTPC

onikage

May 19, 2010
This is lengthy but I'll do my best to keep it coherent. I have an HTPC connected to my living room TV and a PC I game on in my bedroom. I'm considering the possibility of gaming in the living room.

This is my desktop setup that's about 3 years old or more and what I currently game on.
AMD Phenom II X4 955 3.2GHz
Asus M4A87TD
4GB RAM
GTX 470 1.25GB

This is my HTPC built this summer (probably overkill for its current usage)
Fractal Design Node 304 (mentioned for heat/space purposes)
Intel Core i3-3225 3.3 Ghz
AsRock Z77E-ITX Mini ITX LGA1155
8GB RAM
Samsung 840 120 GB SSD
Corsair Builder 430W PSU

In order of theoretical cost:

1) So option/question 1 is will adding a video card to the HTPC (GTX 770 or 780 for example) turn it into a gaming powerhouse that is levels better than my desktop rig? The processor is the obvious bottleneck. What is your opinion?

2) Alternatively a video card and a new more powerful CPU is an option since I believe this motherboard should support something in the i5 or i7 families.

3) Build an entirely new PC. The reasoning behind this would be the PSU I have being inadequate or needing a new motherboard. At this point cost are climbing high enough where its just a whole new PC.

Thanks for your help.

lakedude

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2009
Not sure about building a gaming rig in a HTPC case...

The i3 isn't so bad if money is an issue...

Will those video cards fit in the HTPC?

Can the power supply handle the job (connector wise)?

Will there be enough heat dissapation in the little case?

lakedude

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2009
I was going to suggest putting the gaming parts into the larger case but then you would not have anything left that fits into the HTPC case...

hackerballs

Jul 4, 2013
1: Your i3 cpu would handle a gtx770/780 with just a little upgrade. Can you say PSU? Yes, either of those cards would let you game and blow the socks off the bedroom PC.

2: The difference between gaming with a dual core vs quad core is miniscule. No real need to switch if you want to save money...2/3 fps

3:Yes, you PSU is toast for a new rig or an upgrade on the CPU.

Bottom line: YES, it has to fit or buy a nicer case!
Try just buying a new PSU (I recommend minimum 650W 80+ certified for these GPU cards) and buy a Video card. GTX770 is good band for the buck right now unless you can find a $300 AMD7970. If by some unforeseen reason this PC would not be surprising to you after this upgrade, you could still use these two parts for a new build. Nothing lost by doing it this way first. (I know it will be fine)

lakedude

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2009
So I re-read the OP, are you willing to go down to just one PC? If so slap that Intel stuff into the bigger case with a video card and you are good to go.

onikage

May 19, 2010
Thanks for the fast replies guys. lakedude, the small case is for it to fit in the living room entertainment center. I've seeing people stick GTX 770s in this specific case, but honestly haven't read follow ups to know if those computers also later melted. I'm fine with just having one PC only if its gaming capable. If I was to build a new system for the bedroom than the HTPC would just sit as is since it's what the family uses for movies/TV/etc.

hackerballs you have a good point. The PSU was a carry over from a previous build. In my haste I saw the options as mutually exclusive. I think I'll give it a go with just a new PSU and video card.

lakedude

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2009
If you get the R9 270 you can use your current PS. Not sure about the physical fit on the MB and in that computer case but electrics would work out fine.

Last edited:

lakedude

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2009
I've got an i7 and a 7850 (similar to the R9 270) and it never pulls over 265 watts and it only pulls that much when running stress tests. During regular gaming it draws under 200 watts.