Modern Warfare 3 (PC) *may* have dedicated servers

dpodblood

Diamond Member
May 20, 2010
Looks like Modern Warfare 3 for PC may actually have dedicated servers and even *gasp* mod tools. Somehow I doubt the inclusion of mod tools as it would cut into their map pack sales, but dedicated server support would make MW3 much more palatable. At least for me.

GameFront: We have a big PC gaming community. Lots of modders, that kind of thing. Are you guys talking at all yet about what sorts of features the PC version of the game will have?

Robert Bowling: In Modern Warfare 3, I’ve been trying to reach out ot our PC guys. We had some of the [PC] guys come out to the studio a few weeks ago. We have them here. We brought them here so they can see the stuff we’re showing off. We’re putting a lot of focus there, to make sure that our PC community has all the bells and whistles. So, the guys that have the powerhouse machines, that they can crank it up and enjoy the game. It’s very important for us on the PC to make sure we have a solid min-spec base–so that the majority of our PC users can enjoy the game out-of-box, run it smooth, exactly how they expect. That’s very key for us. You’d be surprised how that can easily be overlooked. We’re making sure the PC is up and running from day one, and it’s running smooth on min-spec and beyond throughout the entire development process. As you get later on in the development cycle, you get to the point where you start focusing on PC-specific features. It’s the one platform out of Xbox 360, PS3 and PC that has specific things that go only into that version.

That stuff comes a little later. I can’t confirm anything yet, but right now we’re having conversations about dedicated servers, mod tools and post launch support. I can’t give you an answer yet on what will be included. In Modern Warfare 3 we added IWnet, which was all about matchmaking–with the plan to eventually add in dedicated servers. My ideal philosophy on the PC is to have matchmaking for the “mass.” Have matchmaking for the guys who just want to jump in, hit “play game” and start playing. But let’s not lose that dedicated core audience that wants the dedicated server experience. We’re looking at ways to incorporate that into Modern Warfare 3. We’ve been listening a lot to our PC guys who have been very vocal since Modern Warfare 2 about what they want to see come back to our versions of the franchise.

http://www.gamefront.com/modern-war...d-servers-says-infinity-wards-robert-bowling/

Red Hawk

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2011
They've realized how much of a vice grip Battlefield 3 has on the hardcore PC gaming community and are trying to challenge it. More fuel for the upcoming Battlefield 3 vs Modern Warfare 3 showdown...

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
Sounds more like they are just saying BS to curb any negatively they would receive so early on. A few days before launch, MW3 wont have dedicated servers, Bill went on vacation so we didn't have time to get it in, so we stuck with the matchmatching, enjoy!

Bill Brasky

Diamond Member
May 18, 2006
BF3 isn't hardcore. Something like America's Army is hardcore. Or Operation Flashpoint.

your_opinion.jpg

But really, this is good news. Competition is always a good thing, even if the devs deny it exists.

M0oG0oGaiPan

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2000
digitalgamedeals.com
By hardcore, I think he just means people who buy games for PC and not console.

He's talking about the PC version of Modern Warfare.

So does hardcore mean the game that makes the most money? Nope that's MW. Is it the most difficult or most technical? Nope because that's AA or Operation Flashpoint. Apparently it's the game that's not the most popular or the most difficult. Maybe it's the game that requires the most twitch action. Nope that's MW again. Maybe it's teamwork and strategy. I'm pretty sure that's AA or Operation Flashpoint...

Maybe BF3 has some x-rated material in there somewhere that I'm not sure about. I'm not hating on BF3. I'm looking forward to it. (Oct 25th release date btw). It's just hardcore is the popular buzzword everyone throws around now a days and it's annoying.

maniacalpha1-1

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2010

So does hardcore mean the game that makes the most money? Nope that's MW. Is it the most difficult or most technical? Nope because that's AA or Operation Flashpoint. Apparently it's the game that's not the most popular or the most difficult. Maybe it's the game that requires the most twitch action. Nope that's MW again. Maybe it's teamwork and strategy. I'm pretty sure that's AA or Operation Flashpoint...

Maybe BF3 has some x-rated material in there somewhere that I'm not sure about. I'm not hating on BF3. I'm looking forward to it. (Oct 25th release date btw). It's just hardcore is the popular buzzword everyone throws around now a days and it's annoying.

No, BF3 is not hardcore like AA, OP etc, I just mean, I think he means hardcore PC people that hate console, don't own one, would never buy a game for it, etc.

Red Hawk

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2011

I meant hardcore as in the intended audience. Battlefield 3 is being hyped up for the PC over the consoles in the gaming press. Gameplay trailers? It's the PC version. E3 demo? It's the PC version. Game engine? Only the newest operating system and recent hardware can run it. This is the kind of catering to hardcore PC gamers that Modern Warfare is only half-heartedly trying to match.

M0oG0oGaiPan

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2000
digitalgamedeals.com
Ok so something like let's say The Mystery Case Files series, which is made specificially for PCs/Macs is hardcore. Gotcha. Since that was ported over to the consoles, I guess if I'm a console gamer I should dismiss that game because I'm a 'hardcore' console gamer.

If you're saying that all those people buying up the hidden object games big fish throws up every week are 'hardcore' pc gamers then I'd agree with you.

maniacalpha1-1

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2010
I meant hardcore as in the intended audience. Battlefield 3 is being hyped up for the PC over the consoles in the gaming press. Gameplay trailers? It's the PC version. E3 demo? It's the PC version. Game engine? Only the newest operating system and recent hardware can run it. This is the kind of catering to hardcore PC gamers that Modern Warfare is only half-heartedly trying to match.

Ah. I think they are doing that simply to avoid dealing with the 24 on consoles question any more than they have to. But you know, that's not their fault. It's M$ and $ony's for not updating their hardware every 5 years. I saw a quote from a dubious sourced interview that says DICE will be alternating issuing games every year, from MOH, BC, the BF series and that this means BF4 is slated for 2015. My concern there is, aren't the Xbox 720 and PS4 slated NOT SOONER than 2015? We will have 4 more years of PC hardware gains and still developing multiplatform for 360 and PS3? What will have to be cut from the PC version after 4 more years of hardware gains to keep it multiplatform?

RussianSensation

Elite Member
Sep 5, 2003
Why should I support a company whose CEO makes statements like these:

"Speaking to CNBC over the course of E3 2011, Kotick said that only the PC version of Battlefield 3 has been shown so far, which is not where the bulk of the sales will eventually be.

'So far I’ve only seen Battlefield 3 on a PC, I haven’t seen it on a console where the bulk of our business is,' Kotick told CNBC.

'If it’s just a PC title, as it looks like today, that’s just a small audience to participate,' he added." - Source

I don't care if Activision provides servers from space, my money is going to BF3. I am not paying $50 to that arrogant pr*ck.

Red Hawk

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2011
Ok so something like let's say The Mystery Case Files series, which is made specificially for PCs/Macs is hardcore. Gotcha. Since that was ported over to the consoles, I guess if I'm a console gamer I should dismiss that game because I'm a 'hardcore' console gamer.

If you're saying that all those people buying up the hidden object games big fish throws up every week are 'hardcore' pc gamers then I'd agree with you.

By "hardcore PC gamer", I mean the people who play games, PC exclusive or otherwise, mainly on the PC; prefer the mouse and keyboard control; buy the graphics hardware so they can run games at high fidelity; and generally spend a good amount of time playing intense or complex games. That's Battlefield 3's intended audience. It's no different than how a person would be considered a hardcore PS3 fanboygamer if he mainly plays on the PS3, prefers the DualShock controller, bought the console for the Cell architecture, and spends a good amount of time playing games like Uncharted, God of War, etc.

Last edited:

Josh123

Diamond Member
Aug 4, 2002

"Speaking to CNBC over the course of E3 2011, Kotick said that only the PC version of Battlefield 3 has been shown so far, which is not where the bulk of the sales will eventually be.

'So far I’ve only seen Battlefield 3 on a PC, I haven’t seen it on a console where the bulk of our business is,' Kotick told CNBC.

'If it’s just a PC title, as it looks like today, that’s just a small audience to participate,' he added." - Source

I don't care if Activision provides servers from space, my money is going to BF3. I am not paying $50 to that arrogant pr*ck.

Ya I can't stand the douche either which is why I will be all over BF3 when it's released. MW3 is the same shit repackaged and them basically turning their back to the PC community really pisses me off. I highly doubt these PC add-ins will even make it in the final product.

M0oG0oGaiPan

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2000
digitalgamedeals.com
You don't need all that to play hidden object games.

I like both the MW and BF series. They're totally different styles so I don't know why they even get compared so much.

Anyone that plays a lot of games on the PC is a hardcore pc gamer. Not everyone's looking to play a tactical shooter. Again there's tons of people who only care for hidden object games. Maybe not your thing. Graphics are nice but that doesn't make you hardcore. Look at DNF. That game has 12 year old outdated graphics but there's still a lot of interest in it. You're telling me BF3 is more complex than something like dwarf fortress? Or the new Interplay Battle Chess game?

Anyway, dedicated server support would be good.

Red Hawk

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2011
In my opinion that would be more of a casual, or a nostalgic, PC gamer. Not a hardcore gamer.

Avalon

Diamond Member
Jul 16, 2001
you don't need all that to play hidden object games.

I like both the mw and bf series. They're totally different styles so i don't know why they even get compared so much.

Anyone that plays a lot of games on the pc is a hardcore pc gamer. Not everyone's looking to play a tactical shooter. Again there's tons of people who only care for hidden object games. Maybe not your thing. Graphics are nice but that doesn't make you hardcore. look at dnf. That game has 12 year old outdated graphics but there's still a lot of interest in it. You're telling me bf3 is more complex than something like dwarf fortress? Or the new interplay battle chess game?

Anyway, dedicated server support would be good.

lolwut.

badb0y

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2010

Wow he said that?

Anonymous go hack Activision for a change, let Sony breath a little.

DarkKnightDude

Mar 10, 2011
OMG! Developers adding what used to be considered standard features into a new game.

Its funny how Activision thinks that PC is a small market, when they just merged with Blizzard which has WoW. Played by millions I might add.

They should just say its easier to exploit console gamers then us.

RussianSensation

Elite Member
Sep 5, 2003
Its funny how Activision thinks that PC is a small market, when they just merged with Blizzard which has WoW. Played by millions I might add.

I think he is specifically talking about the FPS market.

The problem is he is probably only using retail sales and forgetting that there are digital sales which are not counted.

But if you do look at ONLY retail sales, then to some extent he is correct as shooter sales only account for 9.7% of all PC genres (but it still pisses me off he makes comments like that, which sounds like he is degrading the importance of PC gamers -- and frankly PC shaped the FPS genre from the very beginning).

His comparison is flawed though: BF3 is specifically made for PC gamers in mind while MW3 is targeted towards a wider audience. From a business perspective, both approaches make sense, but only looking at sales #s to judge which game is better is laughable. If you want destructive environments, more complex multiplayer, more realism, then BF3 is that game. On the other hand MW3 is probably going to have a more appealing single-player campaign for its intended audience and a much less complex multiplayer (with smaller maps). MW3 has been designed to sell more since it appeals to a wider audience, and therefore as a design goal has a lower learning curve (i.e., auto aim, perks, strategy on the battlefield is not really rewarded, etc.). But that doesn't make MW3 a better game by any means. In other news $30,000 Honda Accord will outsell a $30,000 Nissan 370Z next year.

Since most console gamers who don't need the hardcore BF3 military experience, it's only obvious that MW3 will outsell BF3 across all 3 systems. Still I have to wonder why Activision didn't have a booth at E3? Oh right, because their 10 minute press conference would end with another Call of Duty game...:whiste: The COD Elite monthly scam is just another example of the console industry become more focused on making $, run by businessmen and not gamers who love games (see John Carmack).

Last edited: