Modern Warfare 2 Hackers?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

hondaf17

Sep 25, 2005
Single player is awesome but I, like others, have stopped playing MP. MP is full of hackers and it ruins it. I haven't touched it in 2 months - playing BC2 instead and love the switch.

Get it for single player, avoid for multiplayer.

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
Single player is awesome but I, like others, have stopped playing MP. MP is full of hackers and it ruins it. I haven't touched it in 2 months - playing BC2 instead and love the switch.

What the hell are you people doing that you're getting in games with all of these hackers? I play this game daily and I rarely see it.

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
Hacking is no more a problem in MW2 than it is in other pc games.

If anything, the game's big fault is its matchmaking. Hey, let's get people from Mississippi, Alaska, New York, Russia, South Africa, and New Zealand all on one server! Go go!

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
Ive played CS competitively since 1.5 and I can guarantee you there are not that many hackers as you think there are. I don't want to strait up say your bad, but many people that never go into leagues cry hacks whenever someone CAL-M+ joins the server.

Fortunately for the pubbers most CEVO-P players stay out of your games and stick to their match servers.

http://thecpl.com/
So excited

While I agree there are a number of people that cry hack for stupid things, as at one time I was good enough to be called hacker, but CS:S was still a hugely hacked game for a while after it was released. There are plenty of servers that clean the hackers out nicely, but there are also a ton that have rampant hacks going on.

Couldn't disagree more. The SP was fairly mundane... just another linear shooter. If you don't plan on playing the MP don't buy the game at all.

hondaf17

Sep 25, 2005
Hey guys - I should clarify my original statements. I am mainly a MP gamer. I don't buy a game if I don't plan on playing MP. For me MP is what provides the endless hours of gameplay. And MW2 did that for me - I logged something like a week of gameplay. Now, I'm saying that while I found the SP campaign super fun (but short) the MP has run it's course on me due to hackers.

And I primarily played Domination, so maybe hackers are more prevalent there than in TDM.

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007
My understanding is that because IW maintains all the servers, and disallows private dedicate servers, cheating and hacking are rampant. However, I'm sure there are hacks and mods that you can get to play on private servers though. If I recall, those were some of the first mods to be made for the game.

Still, lot of hoops to jump through for a 60 dollar price tag. I'd spend the money elsewhere.

They don't maintain any servers. The whole thing is peer to peer. They took the easy way out, Xblive code was in and it is peer to peer so they just added pc options to that. They could have easily put in dedicated servers, but they didn't care.

Reason I did not buy it.

NoSoup4You

Golden Member
Feb 12, 2007
There's always people that assume the other team is hacking despite zero evidence. I got accused of hacking this morning even though I had only 12k and 4d at the time. The guy just totally flipped out and started asking people to "report" me because I had killed him three times in a row...

People are dumb.

Last edited:

digitaldurandal

Golden Member
Dec 3, 2009
There's always people that assume the other team is hacking despite zero evidence. I got accused of hacking this morning even though I had only 12k and 4d at the time. The guy just totally flipped out and started asking people to "report" me because I had killed him three times in a row...

People are dumb.

I get accused of hacking as well, but I am talking about obvious hacking.

We played four search and destroys yesterday all with an obvious hacker. One guy with a newb toob on our team is just locked onto everyone's face runs around the corner and shoots it.

Another uses a sniper rifle from the start and quickly begins shooting through walls at everyone.

I understand that some people over react and call everyone a cheater but if you have been playing SnD I am unsure how you can NOT have encountered a mass of hackers this weekend. I think part of it is the free weekend, but ever since the game was released the number of hackers have been consistently rising.

PCGamer podcast seems to agree, last weeks podcast they stated that both BFBC2 and MW2 have some problems, BC2 has server browser and friend issues and MW2 has no servers and is riddled with hackers.

It is not a KDR that makes me accuse someone, it is the blatant lock on through walls onto the face that does it.

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007
I get accused of hacking as well, but I am talking about obvious hacking.

There is a wide definition of what is hacking.
Some say that doing or using anything but what a game ships with is hacking. For me I classify it as running any program that alters the original game code in any way.

That still leaves macro programs which are technically not hacks but do give an unfair advantage to those that use them. For example there is a macro that will allow people to fire a non repeating pistol so rapidly that it kills faster than anyone could ever press the mouse button. There are also macros for mice and keyboard that allow people to be running forward and immediately turn 180 degrees , something not possible just using a regular mouse. If I am a sniper and have the proper mouse I can dial up and down sensitivity on the fly allowing me to target someone much better than someone with a different mouse.
Others that allow people to make jumps or perform maneuvers with a keystroke that no human pressing buttons could pull off every time.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
There is a wide definition of what is hacking.
Some say that doing or using anything but what a game ships with is hacking. For me I classify it as running any program that alters the original game code in any way.

That still leaves macro programs which are technically not hacks but do give an unfair advantage to those that use them. For example there is a macro that will allow people to fire a non repeating pistol so rapidly that it kills faster than anyone could ever press the mouse button. There are also macros for mice and keyboard that allow people to be running forward and immediately turn 180 degrees , something not possible just using a regular mouse. If I am a sniper and have the proper mouse I can dial up and down sensitivity on the fly allowing me to target someone much better than someone with a different mouse.
Others that allow people to make jumps or perform maneuvers with a keystroke that no human pressing buttons could pull off every time.

the only definition of hacking (i prefer cheating over hacking, as hacking implies that you actually have knowledge above using some pre-made script or app) is when you use something like an aimbot, wallhack, etc.

Ika

Lifer
Mar 22, 2006
What the hell are you people doing that you're getting in games with all of these hackers? I play this game daily and I rarely see it.

I played for maybe 10 hours this weekend and I've encountered, by an extremely conservative count, AT LEAST 6+ obvious hackers (full server hacks, experience hacks, AC130 hacks, chopper gunner aimbots, etc). It's probably due to the free weekend, but still - that's a lot of hackers.

Ben90

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2009
If I am a sniper and have the proper mouse I can dial up and down sensitivity on the fly allowing me to target someone much better than someone with a different mouse.

On the fly sensitivity is the biggest gimmick ever, no one that's ever been good at video games finds it useful.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
I played for maybe 10 hours this weekend and I've encountered, by an extremely conservative count, AT LEAST 6+ obvious hackers (full server hacks, experience hacks, AC130 hacks, chopper gunner aimbots, etc). It's probably due to the free weekend, but still - that's a lot of hackers.

AC130 hacks? Chopper gunner aimbot? what are these? chopper gunner has no need for an aimbot, it is devastating on its own (i'd rather have chopper gunner over AC130).

how many times did you get into a hacked experience server? I've been playing since release (182 hours) and I've only run into that once. I've also only run into 1 obvious wallhack, but have suspected several others but there was no concrete proof.

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005
I've been playing with the steam free weekend and I'm not sure if I've experienced any hackers. However, idk how but I've been doing very well and I've been accused of hacking at least 3 times. I mean, I played the first MW but not for a long while now. I tried a 3rd person 1 on 1 match for the first time and got matched up against a level 70. I'm in the low 20s. I started the game 8-0 and he quit. I'm not trying to brag but I don't see how I am that good, the competition just seems to be weak all around, so I'm hesitant when people call "hacks"

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
I've been playing with the steam free weekend and I'm not sure if I've experienced any hackers. However, idk how but I've been doing very well and I've been accused of hacking at least 3 times. I mean, I played the first MW but not for a long while now. I tried a 3rd person 1 on 1 match for the first time and got matched up against a level 70. I'm in the low 20s. I started the game 8-0 and he quit. I'm not trying to brag but I don't see how I am that good, the competition just seems to be weak all around, so I'm hesitant when people call "hacks"

just because someone is level 70 doesn't mean they are good. they just played long enough or got put into a hacked server and got lvl 70.

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004

People are dumb.

Yeah, exactly, i cant count the amount of times people have accused me of hacking. Theyre just rubbish or they dont understand the game mechanics well enough.

NoSoup4You

Golden Member
Feb 12, 2007
I decided to go for my first nuke today, I have over 4d worth of gametime but had never tried for it before. Luckily it only took a couple attempts, but you guessed it... as soon as I called it in the game chat started buzzing about what a "fucking hacker" I am. I understand that calling in a nuke can seem suspicious, but c'mon I merely got to 11 kills and called in a Chopper Gunner which did the rest of the work. Nevermind the fact I'd been in that server for a few rounds already and was generally sucking it up... :)

Anyway, calling in that nuke was AWESOME. Hah! I definitely need to call in one more before I move on to EMP's. I've never used one of those either... :)

Last edited:

NoSoup4You

Golden Member
Feb 12, 2007
Wow, update regarding this whole hacking issue - I logged on just now to try to get that second nuke and instead I was completely unable to find an unhacked server. The first two I joined were on Ground War and both had some kind of hack where you can shoot the grenade launcher rapid fire without having to reload. Every player was doing this. Or at least that's what it looked like, since I quit within 10 seconds both times. So I switched to Domination and joined a server where everyone was walking/running twice as fast as normal. I quit ASAP and joined another, which was a lobby of all high prestige people (I don't recognize all the emblems but there were high up there) and when the map loaded it, before it could really start it suddenly reloaded the map and there was a message that popped up saying "welcome to your double xp weekend" or something bizarre like that.

Ugh... Maybe I'd just been lucky up to this point but IW needs to patch this crap ASAP. Wow.

hdeck

Lifer
Sep 26, 2002
your first mistake is assuming punkbuster is the be all-end all of anti-cheat software.

Ika

Lifer
Mar 22, 2006
AC130 hacks? Chopper gunner aimbot? what are these? chopper gunner has no need for an aimbot, it is devastating on its own (i'd rather have chopper gunner over AC130).

how many times did you get into a hacked experience server? I've been playing since release (182 hours) and I've only run into that once. I've also only run into 1 obvious wallhack, but have suspected several others but there was no concrete proof.

From my other post: http://forums.anandtech.com/showpost.php?p=29664096&postcount=50

I played for two days and ran into at least six discrete, obvious hackers (no gun aimbots or wallhackers). The AC130 was spamming the big really explosive rounds without a reload time, and the chopper gunner was killing everyone as they spawned IMMEDIATELY. i would spawn and immediately get shot, even with cold blooded on. The hacker got from like 25-6 to 50-6 in something like 20 seconds. It might just be from the free weekend (hackers who have no intention of buying the game and don't care about getting banned or anything), but still... it wasn't very much fun.

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005
eh, I just played some more and I am pretty much all set with this game. its really not much fun, and the hacker that was spamming his site to buy hacks wasn't fun either, nor was the fact that you can't kick him...