Moderator or moderators?

BooneRebel

Platinum Member
Mar 22, 2001
So, I just got to thinking: I've seen lots of different comments posted by moderators, mostly along the lines of correcting what you shouldn't post to the forums. Each is signed: "The mean SOB mod", "angry mod", etc.

Does each mod have a single sig that they use, or is there just a handful of 'OZ'-like mods that sign differently all the time? How many mods are there?

Some of us simply post our comments and use the automatic "this message edited by..." to be our sig. Others of us like to put more personality into the job.

I do not usually post long messages or witty sigs, because it would likely give away my identity - and Anand has repeatedly said he likes having anonymous mods.

BooneRebel

Platinum Member
Mar 22, 2001

<< I dont know if they are any females mods or not...

Good question..
>>

So, are there? I remember seeing a quote from the 'sexy mod' in someone's signature a while back. Or was that just a 'he' in touch with his feminine side?

viewton

Jun 11, 2001

<< I do not usually post long messages or witty sigs, because it would likely give away my identity - and Anand has repeatedly said he likes having anonymous mods.[/b] >>

so does that mean the mods also post normally under different names? i thought they had their own special forum :)

Azraele

Elite Member
Nov 5, 2000
Here's another question. I've seen a lot of new mod sigs, things like AM or AT Moderator. What happened to all the oldies like the Mean Mod and the Fun Mod?

Have new mods been born?

daveman

Golden Member
Apr 2, 2001

<< I dont know if they are any females mods or not...

Good question..
>>

I pretty sure one is. They sure did act like it a while back.

Azraele

Elite Member
Nov 5, 2000
One of the mods referred to the Admin as &quot;she&quot; so females aren't left out of the mold.

Paulson

Elite Member
Feb 27, 2001
www.ifixidevices.com
My question would be why do you think it's so impossible for a woman to be helping out?

I know at least 5 women posting on the forums that could be moderators.

I know a lot of the regular moderators (no not their real identities, but their AT ones) because I've probably talked to every one of them at one point or another..

They aren't god, they're volunteers, just trying to enjoy the forums like you and me, the just have special privilages (sp) because they are trustworthy and have been a solid community member.

BigToque

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I've never seen someone use unpossible in a sentence without having &quot;Me fail english? Thats&quot; in front of it :D

rofl

Yo Ma Ma

Lifer
Jan 21, 2000

<< Paulson:My question would be why do you think it's so unpossible for a woman to be helping out? >>

Wow, isn't that a Homer Simpsonism?! It must come naturally to you, Paulson :D

<< BooneRebel:So, are there? I remember seeing a quote from the 'sexy mod' in someone's signature a while back. Or was that just a 'he' in touch with his feminine side? >>

What, men can't be sexy?

Azraele

Elite Member
Nov 5, 2000
Paulson: Let it roll away like water off a duck's back. I have yet to see any member type perfectly, and this includes the mods, yourself, myself, etc.

You've fixed it, no harm done. :)

zayened

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2001
how does one go about being a mod?? how is it possible for the mods' identities to be kept secret (especially from Anand?)?

Azraele

Elite Member
Nov 5, 2000

<< how does one go about being a mod?? how is it possible for the mods' identities to be kept secret >>

My guess is that you have to be trustworthy first and foremost, in all aspects. You are entrusted with the care of the boards, to lock or ban as you deem necessary. Second, you must not reveal your indentity, which means taking whatever measures to ensure that. As the mod responded above, he/she deems it necessary to not make witty comments for fear of being recognized. If that's what it takes, so be it.

Rage187

Lifer
Dec 30, 2000
You also have too submit to rigourus testing and torture, until you have no sense of Idetity left in you, before you are allowed to be a MOD..

Paulson

Elite Member
Feb 27, 2001
www.ifixidevices.com
No really rage? You mean they were just kidding?

OMG, I thought he was really serious...

Ok, I'm heading for a nervous breakdown right now...

/me runs away and hides from all these meanies on this forum.