Modem was acting as a router and now...

gf4200isdabest

Jul 1, 2002
My setup for the past few months has been this:

Wellstar 6100 Modem plugged into a Belkin Wireless G Router. That router has 2 cables running to 2 different desktops plus a couple laptops that pick up wireless signal from it. everything worked great until I decided to untangle some cables.

After unplugging everything and plugging it back in, I found that:

1) my wireless wasn't working
2) my router was no longer responding to 192.168.0.1
3) my modem was all of a sudden responding to 192.168.1.1

All the wired computers still worked so it looks like my router for whatever reason started acting like a switch. But it gets weireder:

I hard reset the router hoping that I can once again access its control menu. I unplug everything and then connect a computer to the router directly (with no internet) and I am still unable to access its setup page (belkin routers are supposed to default to 192.168.2.1 i believe).

I decide to go another direction - i plug my computer into the modem and try to get internet. I create a PPOE dialup connection and that works. Ok, fine, I unplug everything again and plug it in as originally intended (phone->modem->router->computer). I try to get a LAN connection, get nothing. i create a PPOE connection and dial in and it works.

IPconfig shows me:

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 2:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Autoconfiguration IP Address. . . : 169.254.121.236
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

PPP adapter VZN:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 151.199.24.57
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.255
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 151.199.24.57

VZN is the name of my PPOE dialup connection. I can't access my router's admin page, I can't access my modem's admin page. I have no idea what gateway 151.199.24.57 is, I suspect that's Verizon.

So internet works so long as I dial in but that's me dialing instead of the router. I suspect that I can't be dialed in twice to the same verizon account so that means I can only have one computer connected without using the computer as a router...which begs the question - why the hell is my Belkin router acting like a stupid hub all of a sudden? How did my modem start acting like a router? And what can I do to restore everything to normal operation where the router handles the DHCP and also handles the "always on" PPOE part? As is, I can have only one computer connected at one time and the wireless is not working.