Question Modem question

ingeborgdot

Golden Member
Jan 12, 2005
I am finally switching internet companies. I am needing a cable modem and they say it needs to be a Docsis 3. There are so many out there. Does the cable modem make a difference? I have never used one before so I'm kind of new to the cable modem stuff. Thanks.

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Yes, the modem you get does matter. There are some that have issues with high latency, random reboots, and/or poor performance.

First thing you should do is find out what performance tier you are purchasing in terms of service (i.e. Did are you getting 1gigabit network? Did you select to have phone service through your cable company?, Etc.). Once you know what you ordered and are paying for, you can then pick the correct modem. I would next start with the approved compatible modems list that most ISP's provide (comcast has a site: https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/list-of-approved-cable-modems ), and I would assume most other providers also have a similar site.

You then need to find the models that are approved which meet your needs, and then do some quick research on them.

Personally, I have a Netgear CM1150v because I have gigabit speeds and voice/phone service and this is/was one of only 2 modems that existed which supported that at the time I purchased it.

Reactions: ch33zw1z

ingeborgdot

Golden Member
Jan 12, 2005
I have called them because they show no list of modems to buy. When I called she told me they have no preference on modems other than having Docsis 3.

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
The modem doesn't matter as long as it works--the firmware is installed by the isp during configuration so they'll all work the same with the same isp.
Tell that to all the people who own a modem that has the puma chipset in it....

Reactions: DaaQ

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Pretty much any modem that has the "Intel Inside" sticker. The last link I provided above has a pretty good list, but it will never be complete as companies keep on making new devices using the chipset. Also, the Puma 7 chipset seems like it does not completely fix the issues, so I would stay away from any Puma chipset, not just the Puma 6.

It is really kind of sad since Intel typically makes some of the best network cards, but in this case, these devices are simply horrible.

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
What speed is your new provider supplying?
Find a DOCIS modem with a standard that exceeds that speed, which also gives you some future proofing.

SamirD

Golden Member
Jun 12, 2019
www.huntsvillecarscene.com

Yeah I've got 2x of them--sb6190--the supposed worst modems. And I've had completely zero issues on a latency sensitive link across the country. Both modems also pass the dslreports puma test and I bought them both from two different sources, one was a person freaked out by the puma scare and sold it to me open box new for cheap. That one has been working in 105F conditions this summer without breaking or having an issue. Solid equipment that I don't hesitate to recommend regardless of what the internet stuff says.

SamirD

Golden Member
Jun 12, 2019
What modems have the Intel Puma 6?
Don't worry about this AT ALL. Every isp would know better than to recommend a product that would have this issue. Every retailer would stop carrying it because of all the returns. In other words, the product wouldn't sell if it was having issues like in the complaints. And I have first hand experience of a use case scenario where if there was a defect, I would notice it in seconds--and it's been a non-issue for years now.

SamirD

Golden Member
Jun 12, 2019
Find a DOCIS modem with a standard that exceeds that speed, which also gives you some future proofing.
And don't go overboard with this either as people buying 'gigabit' capable modems when I bought my sb6190 found out that when the gig service was announced that they needed to buy a different modem, haha. Just get what you need with a little headroom for existing plans--that's it.

Like TLC sang...
"Don't go chasing vaporware, stick to the hardware and the software you're used to..." at least that's what I thought they were singing, lol.

ingeborgdot

Golden Member
Jan 12, 2005
Pioneer Communications is the ISP. A small regional owned company.
Right now, I'm going with 50 down 25 up.
Internet is expensive in our area for what we get, but it is what it is I guess.
I'll pay 80 bucks a month for this.

DaaQ

Golden Member
Dec 8, 2018
I am finally switching internet companies. I am needing a cable modem and they say it needs to be a Docsis 3. There are so many out there. Does the cable modem make a difference? I have never used one before so I'm kind of new to the cable modem stuff. Thanks.

If you absolutely do not need the phone service portion, (EMTA) don't worry about that part. Alot of companies will add it in for free as part of the "bundle"
Search for a DOCSIS 3.1 modem though, they are backwards compatible with D3 and if you happen to move to an area running a 3.1 network you will be set.
If you do go with a DOCSIS 3.0 modem, try to get one that bonds at minimum 16 downstreams and 4 upstream channels. Anything like a 8/4 or less than for upstreams will limit you when the ISP does eventually upgrade their network.

Yes, the modem you get does matter. There are some that have issues with high latency, random reboots, and/or poor performance.

First thing you should do is find out what performance tier you are purchasing in terms of service (i.e. Did are you getting 1gigabit network? Did you select to have phone service through your cable company?, Etc.). Once you know what you ordered and are paying for, you can then pick the correct modem. I would next start with the approved compatible modems list that most ISP's provide (comcast has a site: https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/list-of-approved-cable-modems ), and I would assume most other providers also have a similar site.

You then need to find the models that are approved which meet your needs, and then do some quick research on them.

Personally, I have a Netgear CM1150v because I have gigabit speeds and voice/phone service and this is/was one of only 2 modems that existed which supported that at the time I purchased it.

I agree with you on the Puma 6 & 7 chipsets. I've witnessed it.
Probably won't be noticed on networks under 100M down but when you get to the upper tiers, it creeps in.
IIRC all Hitron manufactured modems use the intel chipsets, most Technicolor use Broadcom. Arris/Motorola I think will use both.

What modems have the Intel Puma 6?
Don't worry about this AT ALL. Every isp would know better than to recommend a product that would have this issue. Every retailer would stop carrying it because of all the returns. In other words, the product wouldn't sell if it was having issues like in the complaints. And I have first hand experience of a use case scenario where if there was a defect, I would notice it in seconds--and it's been a non-issue for years now.
I can assure you the ISPs do carry these modems with the Puma chipsets in them, they don't care.
It is not an issue that arises upon startup, it works fine for awhile, but degrades over time. A reboot will resolve it as well, for a length of time.
IMO it greatly depends on the service level the customer has. IE a 60M customer may never notice it. 100M probably not either, 200M maybe, depending on if they are using 2.4ghz or 5ghz radios. But the 500M + seems to get the most complaints of slow speeds. Meaning it will work good for some time, then the speed degrades over a period of time.

OP I would search for a 3.1 modem with broadcom chipset. And stay away from the Arris 3.1 with phone and MOCA built in. Have also seen issues with the Samsung 9900GXL ( I think is the model) but it has phone and MOCA as well.