modem problems

Cable

Oct 11, 1999
ok, i was trying to help out my girlfriends cousin earlier today with his modem acting up everytime gayol tries to detect it. i tried expert installing through aol, and also letting it try to auto detect. when it auto detects it freezes up. like freezes up meaning that you cant ctrl alt del at all. he has some generic comp usa modem, and i was thinking if i brought over my old modem from my other computer that it might solve some problems. what should i do? he has a packard bell 100mhz computer, and it has windows 98 already on it. please help me out. i really wanna help this guy out. thanks! also its a isa modem.

GregMal

Golden Member
Oct 14, 1999
I hope he has a hardware modem with that Packard Bell. You're gonna need one with a 100mz pentium.
Try yours if it's hardware........Greg

DaddyG

Banned
Mar 24, 2000
Did you disable the comm ports in the bios ?? The ISA modem will conflict with the onboard comm port (s) that are built into the mobo. You need to disable them in Integrated Peripherals (something like) and then make sure that the modem is set for comm1 IRQ 4 or Comm2 IRQ 3. Many ISA devices do not do the Plug'n' Pray dance without additional software installed. Set the Modem IRQ to Legacy ISA device in BIOS ( PCI/PnP settings to manual).

Cable

Oct 11, 1999
you can do that within the packard bell bios? i never really thought about that. thank you!