Modem and Router Suggestions

LuNoTiCK

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2001
I need some suggestions for a modem and router that will be on Cox 300 down / 30 up.

I know that it's not ideal for a wireless setup, but I just want to get as good as possible.

This is going in a town house which is about 950 square feet, all 1 floor.

This will inevitably cause issues and there is no way around it, but there's ton's of competing wifi signals all around.

Does anybody have any suggestions?

razel

Platinum Member
May 14, 2002
Last I check Cox is cable so ensure that the cable modem they provide you or one that you buy is at the max channels available to you. If it's one you buy additionally check that it is one that they approve.

As for a wireless router. Placement is key. Often just elevating it does plenty for most people. Treat it like a light that can go through walls and do your best to place it at the center of where most of your devices are used. Mesh setups are becoming popular. It'd be too much for your town home. I'm partial to onHub/Google WiFi. You can just buy one at ~$100. It's has stellar coverage. If you tinker with WiFi settings a lot it'll piss you off.

Luckily, there are many choices now. I'm keeping my eye on the Linksys Velop (same hardware as GWiFi). Netgear Orbi is another more expensive choice. For traditional routers, check the 'best router brands thread'