model rockets - who does 'em?

joecool

Platinum Member
Apr 2, 2001
I never did model rockets as a kid, but a few years ago I started doing it with my sons. We started out simple just doing Estes and Quest kits. Then I found a local branch of NAR (National Association of Rocketry) and our rocket activities have gotten a LOT bigger! I've become totally obsessed and am really getting pumped about our upcoming launch, after being unable to launch all winter. We'll be flying a Phobos from Public Missile Works (got to love the name!) on an H motor, should be good to 5,000' above ground level; plus a bunch of little rockets I've been building all winter. Anybody else into this awesome hobby?

BTW, for the uninitiated, follow this link to some awesome pix of some awesome amature rockets: XPRS

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
if i launched something 5,000 feet into the air from my front yard i'd probably hit a boeing 737 or an airbus 320

edit: used to be really into the things prior to college. my favorite was to get the tiny rockets that were only barely bigger than the motor. hard to see when coming back down though.

novasatori

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2003
I used to really be into rockets as a kid, I lived in north Las Vegas, back then it was all wide open desert. We would launch em all the time, but I lost interest when we moved and there weren't many places to launch, but now I live out near a bunch of parks and stuff and bought some rocket kits.

I really want to launch them but its been too windy lately, and call me a wuss but I'm afraid of the authorities in a way, because I haven't done anything like this recently.

Hopefully this summer I'll get a chance to get some first launches going, I've got 3 or so rockets that are good to go, and a couple that are my old rockets as a kid that need some work.
I'd love to get into the higher powered stuff and meet some other people into the sport, but there's not meetings near me. Maybe when I move out to CA in a year.

drinkmorejava

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
Without answering your question, I am going to say some things that could possibly be construed as answering your question, however, this is not my intent.

I like fireworks
It is possible to build your own fireworks using instructions found online
Many times, it is illegal to do this without a permit and proper certification
Do not do this, it is dangerous
I do not do this
Some components of fireworks can be used in model rockets
I like big rockets

joecool

Platinum Member
Apr 2, 2001
Originally posted by: ElFenix
if i launched something 5,000 feet into the air from my front yard i'd probably hit a boeing 737 or an airbus 320

edit: used to be really into the things prior to college. my favorite was to get the tiny rockets that were only barely bigger than the motor. hard to see when coming back down though.

yeah, funny thing is, even on a little motor, they go higher than any of the other low power rockets. at least they don't have a parachute so they don't go far from the launch site - otherwise they'd be goners for sure!

BTW, our club launches way out in the boonies, where we've got a permanent FAA waiver to 20,000 feet, and can get temporary wavers to 40,000. and believe it or not, some guys in the club need the extra altitude! funny story, last fall bush was out here campaiging, and they shut our site down 'til he left - never mind we were 20 miles from where he was, and not under his flight path, but i guess amatuer rockets make the feds nervous.

joecool

Platinum Member
Apr 2, 2001
Originally posted by: novasatori
I used to really be into rockets as a kid, I lived in north Las Vegas, back then it was all wide open desert. We would launch em all the time, but I lost interest when we moved and there weren't many places to launch, but now I live out near a bunch of parks and stuff and bought some rocket kits.

I really want to launch them but its been too windy lately, and call me a wuss but I'm afraid of the authorities in a way, because I haven't done anything like this recently.

Hopefully this summer I'll get a chance to get some first launches going, I've got 3 or so rockets that are good to go, and a couple that are my old rockets as a kid that need some work.
I'd love to get into the higher powered stuff and meet some other people into the sport, but there's not meetings near me. Maybe when I move out to CA in a year.

i wouldn't launch in wind, too easy to loose the rocket. but i wouldn't be worried about the "authorities"; we launch in parks around town all the time, and many of our low power rockets are supposed to reach 1000'. the only real problem is recovery - you need a big field with no trees for some distance in all directions!

hey, and good luck finding a club. hope you do - i'm having a blast (pun intended!)

joecool

Platinum Member
Apr 2, 2001
Originally posted by: Aimster
Palestinians own you in the rocket launches

no they don't - they're rockets can't attain nearly the altitude mine can! and blowing up people doesn't count as "owning" anything!