Modafinil

Eeezee

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2005
Wikipedia

One study on helicopter pilots suggested that 600 mg of modafinil given in three doses can be used to keep pilots alert with only 8 hours of sleep in an 88 hour period. Another study on fighter pilots showed that 300 mg modafinil given in three divided 100-mg doses sustained the flight control accuracy of sleep-deprived F-117 pilots to within about 27 percent of baseline levels.

Discuss

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Anyway, the military has done many of these studies. They use to use Dexedrine.

Eeezee

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2005
Originally posted by: Mill

That's an amphetamine though. It increases alertness. Modafinil just keeps you at normal levels. And as far as I know, modafinil isn't a target of "drug abuse" and has 1/10th of the side effects.

Looney

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
It's fantastic. I like it better than ritalin for my ADD. You just get focus and wakefulness without the high and agitation you get from amphetamines. It's like acting normal, but with your need to sleep or tiredness switch turn off... but when you do want to sleep, you can (at least i'm able to). I've read some people say it does give them stimulation and it can cause insomnia if they take it too late in the day... i think more likely is that these people BELIEVE it's a stimulant or has stimulant like effects. The only thing i get from taking too much or too long (i'm talking without sleep) is some tunnel vision.

Best part is that there's no withdrawal or physical dependency on it either.

Eeezee

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2005
Originally posted by: Looney
It's fantastic. I like it better than ritalin for my ADD. You just get focus and wakefulness without the high and agitation you get from amphetamines. It's like acting normal, but with your need to sleep or tiredness switch turn off... but when you do want to sleep, you can (at least i'm able to). I've read some people say it does give them stimulation and it can cause insomnia if they take it too late in the day... i think more likely is that these people BELIEVE it's a stimulant or has stimulant like effects. The only thing i get from taking too much or too long (i'm talking without sleep) is some tunnel vision.

Best part is that there's no withdrawal or physical dependency on it either.

So you're on this drug, sounds like it's working pretty well for you. Anyone else? I'd love to hear more about this in case it or something like it becomes over the counter in the future. Who wouldn't love an extra-long weekend?

Looney

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
Yep. It's expensive as hell, at least up here in Canada. They come in 100mg for about $2 each... 2 keeps me going all day, i sometimes do a 3rd in late afternoon. This is without insurance of course. Longest i've ever stayed up was about 36 hrs or so, and i didn't even feel tired. I know somebody who did 50 hrs. On the instructions leaflet that comes with the stuff, there's warnings on it saying that in lab animal studies, animals which have been deprived sleep eventually died. And that lack of sleep can reduce immune response function. It doesn't say what the limit of staying awake should be though.

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Eeezee

That's an amphetamine though. It increases alertness. Modafinil just keeps you at normal levels. And as far as I know, modafinil isn't a target of "drug abuse" and has 1/10th of the side effects.

Nah, Modafinil increases alertness as well. They just work on different parts of the brain, and some success has been had by combining the two.

http://www.rxlist.com/cgi/generic2/modafinil_cp.htm

They are just a bit unsure of what receptors it binds to or inhibits right now. We've got almost 80 years of amphetamine research, but many of these new compounds take a while to fully study. There are amphetamines out there that destroy modafinil in wakefulness and improving pyschomotor skill.

Eeezee

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2005
Originally posted by: Eeezee

Nah, Modafinil increases alertness as well. They just work on different parts of the brain, and some success has been had by combining the two.

http://www.rxlist.com/cgi/generic2/modafinil_cp.htm

They are just a bit unsure of what receptors it binds to or inhibits right now. We've got almost 80 years of amphetamine research, but many of these new compounds take a while to fully study. There are amphetamines out there that destroy modafinil in wakefulness and improving pyschomotor skill.

Fascinating, I love reading about this stuff

doze

Platinum Member
Jul 26, 2005
Never heard of this drug before. Sounds like adderall without the twitchy side effects

NanoStuff

Banned
Mar 23, 2006
For those taking regular doses, you can save a shitload of money.

http://shop.airsealed.com/pd_modafinil_100gr.cfm

$220 for 100 grams. This is equivalent to 22 cents for a 100mg pill.

And yes Modafinil is great. Although it's popularity far exceeds it's use as an alertness drug. It's becoming more common as a mood stimulant, making work a slightly happier place to be.

There are reported drawbacks to vocabulary. Structuring of complex sentences may suffer while under influence; it probably goes beyond this, but if you don't notice any problems, so be it.