Question Mobo for ryzen with NO SATA ports - does it exist?

bigi

Platinum Member
Aug 8, 2001
No need for SATA ports. Will build x3950 or 4xxx.

Any options for mobos like that? Could use 2 M2s which is already not a problem.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Ryzen 3000 CPUs will have a total of 24 PCIe Gen4 lanes, yes, Gen 4.0.
Four out of the twenty-four are used for the interconnect to the X570 chipset, leaving 20 lanes Gen 4.0 for other utilization.

-16 for dedicated video card.

that leaves u with 4 left for the entire system.

4x pci-e lanes gives you 1 nVME drive after video card.
Or
You can run your Video card in 8X, and free up another 8x for another *Drum Roll Please* 3 x nVME support.
You see your at the mercy of how many PCI-E lanes your cpu has, so having a boat load of nVME ports do not add up on your platform.
Try ThreadRipper if you want a plethora of nVME, and you can use a nVME Bifurication card on top if you board just cant handle it physically.

Your asking and want do not add up or make sense.
You need the Sata ports, unless u intend to drop a 4TB+ nVME on that system.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Four out of the twenty-four are used for the interconnect to the X570 chipset, leaving 20 lanes Gen 4.0 for other utilization.

Or
You can run your Video card in 8X, and free up another 8x for another *Drum Roll Please* 3 x nVME support.
You see your at the mercy of how many PCI-E lanes your cpu has, so having a boat load of nVME ports do not add up on your platform.
Try ThreadRipper if you want a plethora of nVME, and you can use a nVME Bifurication card on top if you board just cant handle it physically.

pretty sure 5700XT is happy with PCIE4 X8.

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
My board has 3 NVMe gen 4, and 4 SATA. Also has the x16 slots.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
My board has 3 NVMe gen 4, and 4 SATA. Also has the x16 slots.
Yeah my aorus ultra has similar setup but with 6 sata ports. The last nvme slot shares pcie with sata 4 and 5. Also all three PICe are x16.

Last edited:

Insert_Nickname

Diamond Member
May 6, 2012

Or

The chipset provided lanes will be bandwidth limited by the PCIe x4 link, but since it's still almost 8GB/s both ways, it'll be a non-issue for a while yet. Unlike on Intel's mainstream platforms.

Some high-end AM4 boards do support bifurcation. It was even added in a BIOS update for my Crosshair VI, so everything is possible.

pretty sure 5700XT is happy with PCIE4 X8.

Can't say my 5600 is limited by even an x8 3.0 connection. Running a graphics card on a x8 has almost always been a non-issue, and if it frees up lanes for additional storage, I'm quite happy making the tradeoff.

bigi

Platinum Member
Aug 8, 2001

Or

Thanks for such an exhaustive explanation.

I will not use SATA. Period. I will go with 2 nvme SSDs.