mobo chipset showing as 74 degrees celsius?

Powermoloch

Lifer
Jul 5, 2005
I'm really stumped on this one, I updated the bios, Nforce 3 drivers, and what not. First of all, the first board showed 74 C...then it broke down (forgot to use standoffs :( ...was a noob at building) then, got it RMAed and received a new board, and installed it..back to normal. Checked the mobo chipset temps again, and still showed as 74 C constantly even right after boot and 12 hours of stress test. Should I worry about this? It's been for 3 months, and the pc is doing fine actually.

Zepper

Elite Member
May 1, 2001
Probably the chipset heatsink is poorly installed piece of junk anyway. Chuck it and get a nice Zalman passive chipset heatsink and install it with some good grease or thermal adhesive.

.bh.

Powermoloch

Lifer
Jul 5, 2005
Originally posted by: kirbymixmasta
Wouldn't a 74c chipset crash? I dunno, mine runs at a constant 31 though. I think anyway.

I honestly don't know..i'm guessing the sensors is whacked off, or the heatsink as it is...I'm touching the heatsink right now, it feels warm even all of the exhuast fans are giving off really cool air. damn.. just to let you know, it's a cheapy 56 dollar mobo :) !

I checked it again...it's warm...somewhat a bit too warm, but not burn to the touch...GAH !

mindwreck

Golden Member
May 25, 2003
If you reseated it and applied thermalpaste then the sensors prbly wack. especially if its doesn't feel that hot..
my chipset runs about 35-40C with a ambient temp of 30C

if the systems working fine. don't worry about it

chrisrod01

Banned
Apr 16, 2005
Im not sure but isnt 60c or more for a chipset in the danger area. If it works it works I just wouldnt spend any big amount of cash on it

Powermoloch

Lifer
Jul 5, 2005
Yeah...it just kept the same reading for the past 3 months. Oh wells, the system is really stable. I guess there are those moments when you get what you paid for :p.