MMO's whilst I wait

bobdole369

Diamond Member
Dec 15, 2004
back to PC gaming for a while. Old DAOC and EQ1 guy here. Spent years. Tried AC2, EQ2, CoH/V, WoW, AO, AoC, WaR, GW, Vanguard, and a couple flash or web games. Nothing holds a candle to the community and fun that I had years ago in DAOC and (to a lesser extent) EQ1. I suspect nothing ever will. BUT I am looking for a mature, fun, time-consuming but not boring MMO. WoW isn't it. Candidates:

1. DDO:EU (currently free, and I've made it through the first few quests)
potential downfall: no PvP whatsoever. I struggle to understand what to do at max level. WHat I've played, was quite fun.
2. Darkfall ($1 trial for a week). Waiting to try that out.
potential downfall: gankers and griefers, cheating, Might have missed the initial rush, may go the way of WaR.

Any thoughts?

I've played Eve Online, and my head just asploded. I'ma pretty big nerd but that game is just way too complex and I'm not willing to put that level of time/effort in. I also played STO and I didn't really have fun. It had the WoW effect for me. (flavor of the month).

SlickSnake

Diamond Member
May 29, 2007
STO is a crap fest of easy kill stupidity. They dumbed down the game between betas and launch, to the point you darn near can't get killed doing anything, unless you are extremely uncoordinated and spastic. They especially ruined the space battles. Easy mode don't cut it for me. I want a challenge, not spoon fed pablum. And if they don't make STO harder, they are doomed to fail if they are following SONY's NGE failure model of how to kill a game with easy mode.

SWG was great until SONY suit tards tried to tell the gamers what they wanted instead of listening to them, and then they successfully killed it off with the NGE, which was just more button pushing easy mode stupidity. Want a Jedi right off the bat now after we made everyone else grind years to unlock? YOU BETCHA!

And EQ 1-2 I could never get into. And I never particularly liked the game interface or combat.

WoW was, well, WoW. And I outgrew the game and the kiddie community pretty fast, though I did sub to it for over a year. Playing it to me was more work than enjoyment. And the graphics were just plain craptastic and unrealistic and the colors looked like they were meant to satisfy ADD noobs who LOVED them some cartoons long time, and that strained my eyes after a few hours.

I'm still playing AoC and enjoying the PvP aspect of the game. They are making steady improvements to the classes and still addressing imbalances and a few bugs, but the game is 100% better than launch, and I would recommend it to anyone.

Last edited:

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
I was a huge EQ1 fan and DAoC player as well. I agree nothing has held my attention and gave such great feelings like both of those titles for myself. WoW was good till the first expansion I'd say, WAR I really liked but the end game was so empty, dunno if it has improved.

Only mmo I play now is Eve Online. You just need to spend a lot of time offline reading to learn , but once you get into things you will not find anything better imo

crazylegs

Sep 30, 2005
Fallen Earth is pretty kool, i really enjoyed a free trial... think they are still offering it. Main reason for not commiting to a purchase was that i don't really have time for an MMO in my life atm.

Is a thread somewhere on here about the game, sure a search would find it but i'm too tired and in need of bed lol!

Mar 10, 2005
STO is a crap fest of easy kill stupidity. They dumbed down the game between betas and launch, to the point you darn near can't get killed doing anything, unless you are extremely uncoordinated and spastic. They especially ruined the space battles. Easy mode don't cut it for me. I want a challenge, not spoon fed pablum. And if they don't make STO harder, they are doomed to fail if they are following SONY's NGE failure model of how to kill a game with easy mode.

SWG was great until SONY suit tards tried to tell the gamers what they wanted instead of listening to them, and then they successfully killed it off with the NGE, which was just more button pushing easy mode stupidity. Want a Jedi right off the bat now after we made everyone else grind years to unlock? YOU BETCHA!

And EQ 1-2 I could never get into. And I never particularly liked the game interface or combat.

WoW was, well, WoW. And I outgrew the game and the kiddie community pretty fast, though I did sub to it for over a year. Playing it to me was more work than enjoyment. And the graphics were just plain craptastic and unrealistic and the colors looked like they were meant to satisfy ADD noobs who LOVED them some cartoons long time, and that strained my eyes after a few hours.

I'm still playing AoC and enjoying the PvP aspect of the game. They are making steady improvements to the classes and still addressing imbalances and a few bugs, but the game is 100% better than launch, and I would recommend it to anyone.

when you say pvp, do you mean pvp or gankfest? based on your dissection of ST easy mode, i would have thought you wouldn't tolerate AoC's lame controls.

simon.jpg

CurseTheSky

Diamond Member
Oct 21, 2006
Having tried AC (many years), AC2, DAOC (very briefly), WoW (several years), LOTRO, WAR, AoC (very briefly), RoM, and Aion... I'm back to playing AC. :p It's a ghost town compared to what it used to be, but I'm still having tons more fun than I ever did in WoW. WoW is just a horrible grindfest who's players either enjoy grinding, or are too blind / addicted to see it, but that's another story. LOTRO was interesting, but I didn't play past the first month. Aion was too grindy, but flying / gliding was awesome, and the graphics were nice.

DDO and especially Darkfall looked very interesting to me, but I haven't taken the time to give them a shot. Darkfall really looks like it was built on the bones of AC and DAoC to me, and if that's true, it should be an excellent game. Most of the reviews I've read have made it sound mediocre at best, but then again, the reviews say the same thing about AC, and that's the best gave I've ever played.

Dumac

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
I'm in sort of the same boat as you OP. After quitting EQ1, I haven't found any MMO that really compared, and I've tried a bunch.

novasatori

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2003
I'm in sort of the same boat as you OP. After quitting EQ1, I haven't found any MMO that really compared, and I've tried a bunch.

Vanguard is the only one that compares that I've played.

I prefer it a bit over EQ actually.

bobdole369

Diamond Member
Dec 15, 2004
Vanguard was very very compelling. Unfortunately real life interfered. A good friend informed me that I missed out on a good couple years of excellent EQ1 style PVE.

I don't mind PVE. In fact, done right, which I'm hoping DDO offers, PVE is fine in and of itself. I don't need RvR, gankfest, pvp, or any of that. I'm just really looking for community I think. DAOC was seriously something that I don't think can be done again. If it weren't for DF, the frontiers, and the many quests and dungeons, perhaps I'd enjoy WoW more. BUT, that is something that they just didn't get right in my eyes. The folks addicted to it are blind to what a good game should be. Maybe I'm just jaded.

In any event. I'm hoping something catches here.

Oct 25, 2006
FFXI. Steam sale is on right now, I think. 8 Dollars for all expansions and 30 days free time. Start on Shiva, there's a decent amount of low levels to make your low level experience enjoyable.

brandonb

Diamond Member
Oct 17, 2006
I'm playing Aion currently but it does not compare to EQ1, and it's starting to hit the breaking point where you can find groups consistantly (people are quitting and guilds are dying out)...

I am still having fun playing it, but it does not have the community EQ1 did.

95% of players are soloers unless they want to grind dungeons for gear, and usually they just bee line to a certain mob they want to kill for a drop and once it's killed they leave group and move on. Many fighting areas are usually empty unless there is some uber drop. They have a planned patch in the works which will probably attract a few who left back in but the content is not coming out quick enough.

EQ1 I quit about a year ago after retrying it, and the community there is still light years better than what I seen in WoW recently, and even Vanguard (which I also played until Aion came out)... Vanguard is decent but once you hit around level 30 there is a huge drought of players. THere are a ton of low lvl people (up until lvl 10-20ish) and then a ton at high lvl but lvl 30 is painful as you won't have anybody to play with.

I'm thinking if my time with Aion comes to an end (and probably will pretty soon, the community sucks and players are leaving fast) I will probably end up back in EQ1, which is a shame. I can't believe that in the last 10 years, nothing has come out which compares to the community of those older games.

Russwinters

Jul 31, 2009
I'm in a competitive guild and we try out every mmo, but after Aion we have taken a hiatus. Got to cap in 3 weeks and we held a bunch of the forts, but the competition was weak.

DAOC is still my favorite mmo; nothing has quite compared to the fun of original frontiers/relic raids, and roaming emain.

Warhammer had some elements of DAOC in it, but it just isn't the same.

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
I feel the same way about DAoC. Nothing compares to it. I played it for many many years from launch. It was my first MMO and that had a lot to do with it as well. My first initiation into the realm of online gaming and socializing. Made many online friends and acquaintances and even some real world friends I still hang out with today. It was a great game until Mythic started messing it up with all the hard nerfs and changes.

Ganeedi

Jul 7, 2008
If you didnt try LOTRO, give the free trial a go (lotro.com). Low levels are ridiculously simple, but the complexity increases quite a bit as you level.

ViviTheMage

Lifer
Dec 12, 2002
madgenius.com
I am in the same boat...WoW was OK...I REALLY like to PvP, competitively and whatnot....I am hoping FF14 kicks ass, otherwise, i'll try those star wars type games.

EVE = spreadsheets online, don't play it...unless you like really boring :).

clok1966

Golden Member
Jul 6, 2004
I'm not sure any of us will find a game that compares to the "first" one. EQ1 for me, never get that rush of running into a giant spider the first time in the dark (almost pitch black for us humans) and dying, and the frantic feeling of trying to find that corpse (who was inside a hill with only his feet sticking out). Ya that doesnt sound fun, but it was!

I think you have covered all the bases, as for comunity, EQ1 had one as there where not a million "hint" sites, the game took time and effort (alot of time, alot of effort, many wouldnt consider it fun) and the people who stayed enjoyed the game and loved to play it.

Nowdays the games all play themsleves pretty much, its more about if you want to race to end level, if you want X equipment you can keep doing groups till you get it. IN EQ you had to be good enought to get it and HAD to have people who would help you. Now you just click and go.. instant instacne.

I have played um all. I still like WoW in month bursts.

Suggestions: Perfect World (grindy, but its FREE, drop it whnever you want)
Runes of Magic (free again and tries to be a WoW clone)

As for pay to play: again think you covered the standards, Personally I liked Vanguard, WaR, AoC... but nowdays I dont think I will ever play any game much more then a month or so, never going to recapture that EQ feeling, well, never in the last 7 years for me....

Martimus

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2007
I am in the same boat...WoW was OK...I REALLY like to PvP, competitively and whatnot....I am hoping FF14 kicks ass, otherwise, i'll try those star wars type games.

EVE = spreadsheets online, don't play it...unless you like really boring :).

I don't see Eve that way at all. I love it because it is extremely open, and nearly every portion of the game is controlled by the players. It can be a little stressful though, because the other players in my alliance rely on me, and I rely on them; mostly due to the fact that everything is controlled by the actual players (including the economy, which seems to be the basis of the entire game).

OP, I don't have much experience with MMO's since WoW was boring to me and I haven't tried anything since until Eve. It is very complex though, although pretty straight forward and logical (If you would do something in real life, it probably works that way in Eve.) I wish I could give you a suggestion for an MMO, but maybe you could try some other games in the mean time like Witcher or Mass Effect to get your temporary fix?

Arglebargle

Dec 2, 2006
I'm not sure any of us will find a game that compares to the "first" one. EQ1 for me, never get that rush of running into a giant spider the first time in the dark (almost pitch black for us humans) and dying, and the frantic feeling of trying to find that corpse (who was inside a hill with only his feet sticking out). Ya that doesnt sound fun, but it was!

I think you have covered all the bases, as for comunity, EQ1 had one as there where not a million "hint" sites, the game took time and effort (alot of time, alot of effort, many wouldnt consider it fun) and the people who stayed enjoyed the game and loved to play it.

Nowdays the games all play themsleves pretty much, its more about if you want to race to end level, if you want X equipment you can keep doing groups till you get it. IN EQ you had to be good enought to get it and HAD to have people who would help you. Now you just click and go.. instant instacne.

I have played um all. I still like WoW in month bursts.

Suggestions: Perfect World (grindy, but its FREE, drop it whnever you want)
Runes of Magic (free again and tries to be a WoW clone)

As for pay to play: again think you covered the standards, Personally I liked Vanguard, WaR, AoC... but nowdays I dont think I will ever play any game much more then a month or so, never going to recapture that EQ feeling, well, never in the last 7 years for me....

This has more to do with the experiance than the quality of the game. The first one you play sets some of your expectations. Amongst horn and woodwind players there's this thing called Home Instrument Bias, which talks about how the first instrument you learn on colors your view and experiance with all other, different instruments.

Same thing with MMOs. People who started out in a particular one have that one's 'model' imprinted on them. And the first experiance of the type of game will probably continue to shine in a light that can't be matched by another experiance. Truth is, probably couldn't be matched even by the same game played again, in the present.

All of them have good bits and bad bits. Identifying the parts that you liked the best and trying to find modern games that emphasize those aspects is the best path, imo.

Feb 4, 2009
This has more to do with the experiance than the quality of the game. The first one you play sets some of your expectations. Amongst horn and woodwind players there's this thing called Home Instrument Bias, which talks about how the first instrument you learn on colors your view and experiance with all other, different instruments.

Same thing with MMOs. People who started out in a particular one have that one's 'model' imprinted on them. And the first experiance of the type of game will probably continue to shine in a light that can't be matched by another experiance. Truth is, probably couldn't be matched even by the same game played again, in the present.

All of them have good bits and bad bits. Identifying the parts that you liked the best and trying to find modern games that emphasize those aspects is the best path, imo.

Good point, I've always compaired it to your first love. No other mmo compares to EQ1 I cannot imagine me playing one for for over a year again but at the same time I want faster leveling and easier navigation but I cannot stand how linear most maps and zones are post WOW.

novasatori

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2003
If you guys haven't tried Vanguard, I would suggest it.

I got a couple friends together so we can have a static group, and since they added mentoring, I plan to return to play in the next couple days.

You can get the 14d trial island free (but beware it is very much inferior to the main game, but you do get good starting equipment), and you can pickup a retail copy for like $1-5 off amazon or other places that will give you another 30 days and digital download from station launcher.

Its about the only game that compares to EverQuest PvE.

Worth a shot, if you do PM me here, I'm on Seradon.

Last edited:

manimal

Lifer
Mar 30, 2007
FF11 is a wonderfully deep game that is MUCH easier when I played regularly. Still a great game that can look good with some editing.

pathos

Aug 12, 2009
I don't much care for pvp, just pve really, so I doubt I'd be much help to you. That being said, I do play Aion off and on, and enjoy the pve part of that game. But, since you are mostly forced to take part in pvp, it's not a long term project for me. I'll probably quit just after I hit the 6 month mark later this month. And I'll note again, i really do like the pve from Aion. It can be a bit grindy at times though.

Vanguard - this game was touted as a game for the hardcore when it came out. More like eq1 when it first game out. It looked great when it was new, but my aging system had trouble running it. It wasn't really a couplete game back then either. I liked alot of things about it, but ending up dropping it after a couple months, since the game experience (back then) just wasn't up to snuff. I've considered going back and trying it again. Perhaps I will after I quit Aion.

EQ2 - most of the people I was friends with in EQ1 went to EQ2. I played it for quite a bit when it was new. But, at that point, I was still pretty burned out pretty hard from EQ1, so I ended up quitting after level 40 or so. It's another I've considered trying again, but haven't.

Warhammer - I only made it to level 20 or so in this game. I'll note, this is probably the only game I actually enjoyed pvp, with the open pvp areas (never did try their instances). There was alot of things that Warhammer did that I liked quite a bit, like their large area quests that you can join just by being there. Unfortunately, I level pretty slow, so I soon had trouble finding people to do those types of quests with, as well as the pvp areas for my level.

Age of Conan - I really like the game when it was released, but I kept running out of content. Got up to level 36 as, erm, I can't even remember the name of my class now :p . I quite, and then came back when they said they had more content. This time I got up to level 49 or so, and then ran out of content again. Perhaps there was more to do, and I just couldn't find it though.

A couple of free to play/cash shop games I'll play every now and then.

Sword of the New World - There are alot of things I like about this game. World setting, getting to control 3 characters at a time, the massive amount of characters you can quest to add to your party. This one is pretty typical of Korean mmo's, with one hell of a nasty grind though. Early on there was alot of problems with gold farmer bots when the game was new and still pay to play, but I every time I come back and play the game again, I don't see anything like that anymore. It's not a game I could play full time, but since it's free, and my account never goes away, I can play as much as I want and then put it away for a bit.

Atlantica Online - This one is very unusual out of all the games I've played, considering the game's combat is fully turn based. You start with 1 character, but then start adding more people to your party pretty quickly. Eventually, by level 50, you can have a full party of 9. Battles were instanced, and was completely turn based, you'd go, then the mobs would go, then back to your turn, etc etc. The game has something like 110-120 levels, so far I've reached 72 or so. Through 72, there was 0 grinding. Every bit of xp I've earned was from doing quests. I've heard after 100 you don't have many quests to do though, and the grind is nasty then. One of the minus' with the gamethough, is the quests can get very, very repetitive.

hrm, I just noticed after reading my own post, I sure say though alot. Perhaps I should work on that :D

edit - I'll add, there are 2 games I'm looking forwards to. One, Knights of the Old Republic online, has plenty of info out there to look for.

The other is Blade and Soul. It's nother ncsoft project, so I expect it will be another Korean grind. But, it looks awesome. Basically its like a hop and chop movie turned into a mmo. All the classes are martial arts based. Character designs are very Korean, but the game looks pretty from what I've seen.

And its got wall jumping!! just how cool is that :p

But, the only info I've seen for the game is the 15 minute video clip they have up on their main site (and thats all they had the last time I checked), so I really don't know much about the game.

Last edited: