Mmmmm...the sounds of the good ol days.

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
LGR just posted this up on youtube. Very nostalgic sounds that brought me back to my younger days. It's kinda funny how certain senses can make you feel nostalgic; not just sight but also certain sounds and smells....anyway I just had this playing in the background as I was doing other things on my pc and every once in awhile when a click or fan noise happened it brought back a memory.

Nov 17, 2019
Memorable sounds you say?

chrysler-air-raid-siren-5.jpg

That's one you never forget.

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
Yeah in a way it's kinda the same thing. Certain sounds, smells, or sights bringing back memories. Although this was more of a computer focused post not a "We are making this sound to warn people that an air attack is eminent and you will probably die." kind of post.....

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
Memorable sounds you say?

chrysler-air-raid-siren-5.jpg

That's one you never forget.
Growing up, I lived directly across the street from a Civil Defense Air Raid siren. Our house was on a hill, and the siren was located on the elementary school, so we were eye level with it.

It was tested every Wednesday at noon...

This when it was not a question if the ruskies would nuke us, but when. We had A-bomb drills in school every month (where you go to the lowest part of the building, get under a table, and assume the position to kiss your ass goodbye), fire drills were probably less frequent.

Siren was exactly like the first one in this video.

Reactions: Captante
Nov 17, 2019
I don't do videos, so I don't see which one you're talking about. That Chrysler had a Hemi engine in it. They were usually placed on towers or tall buildings. I had one about 4 or 5 city blocks from me. On a quiet day, you could hear the starter motor engage and begin to crank the engine over. Then the low rumble of the impellers as it idled briefly before wind up. Then you plugged your ears.

The stuff today simply does not compare.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Yeah in a way it's kinda the same thing. Certain sounds, smells, or sights bringing back memories. Although this was more of a computer focused post not a "We are making this sound to warn people that an air attack is eminent and you will probably die." kind of post.....

Strangely an air-raid siren always reminds me of my grandparents house in Edison NJ because there was a siren which went off all the time right up the street from their house when I was a little kid.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
Tornado warning tests were the ones that always got my youthful butt puckered. Experienced more than zero tornados, which is more than anyone should ever experience.

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006
i just watched a VHS that i took in 96 of my computer playing a crappy presentation i made

with the awesome MIDI theme of indiana jones in the background

it was glorious

Reactions: nakedfrog

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I love these old sounds. Brings some odd nostalgia. Especially the floppy drive.

I sometimes toy with the idea of buying an old PC like 486 or even a P3 just for nostalgia sake, but chances are the novelty would wear off quickly and it would just be put away. :p Trying to find the drivers would be pretty hard too.

I kinda wish I had kept our first home computer intact as it would be cool to pull that out now. It was not SUPER vintage but still vintage compared to now. Was a P3. Just going through the win98 setup process, installing the drivers etc would be kind of nostalgic. Used to do that a lot... I didn't know about disk imaging back then lol.

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
i need to get something to convert it to digital

i could be like the modern ATOT equivalent of aquaman and his magazines

Just film the TV with your phone like today's technologically advanced digital natives do!

There are cheap converters for like $20-30 on amazon but they probably aren't worth getting for a one off.

TXHokie

Platinum Member
Nov 16, 1999
Fax machine
Dot matrix printer
Large plotter
Auto copier

That's the sound I heard all day at work back in the days....

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
I love these old sounds. Brings some odd nostalgia. Especially the floppy drive.

In 2009 I flew in the cockpit of a 777 the first time. I was sitting in the jump seat, then all of a sudden I heard a sound and I was like "wait, I know that sound, what is it?" Look around for a second, and there was a 3.5" floppy drive right next to me on the maintenance panel. It's used for loading new software. Haven't seen a floppy drive anywhere else in a very long time.

For that matter, we also used dot matrix all over the place at the airline. The maintenance mainframe printed to them.

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015
Typewriters have an oddly satisfying sound. Imagine how loud offices were when they where the norm though. :eek:
I think by the 70's, electric TWs were the rule. I had a Royal brand electric that connected to the PC via printer port. It used daisy wheels for the fonts. I really loved printing on that thing. It was like I was vicariously typing at that insanely fast speed.