MLB The Show 21

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Is there any significant upgrade from last year besides being available on Xbox and Gamepass? Releases tomorrow, 4/20/21.

Just curious if there is any additions to the game or changes I should be aware of getting started. I have not really followed the development. I actually skipped last year’s entry waiting for the new console gen.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Game kind of sucks to be honest. Same animations as before and they look a little stiff even when compared to Madden. Graphically it doesn’t do anything the Ps4 didn’t do. Maybe sharper due to higher resolution. Textures are still flat. The batters box is a flat texture with some bumps of loose dirt on it that looks like 2 generations old, and it doesn’t deform over time or from batters digging in. Same for pitcher mound which should show signs of deformity over the course of the game. Players look like they are floating over the field instead of standing on it. They could have made the grass look like grass on the new consoles. The commentary is as repetitive as ever. A few changes to the simulation aspects and some physics adjustments for batting. They still need to adjust fielding a bit.

Overall Sony San Diego is lazy and they used to make the best sports game out there. I hate to say it because I kind of hate basketball and the NBA in general but NBA 2k21 is a far, far superior game as far as sports games go with better animations, more realistic physics, and way better graphics. They could have done so much more with this game and made the field nearly photorealistic with the dirt and clay deforming and update the animations to bring it up to what I consider current standards.

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
I've been staying away from this game, because I thought it would consume me once I had it. I don't think I'll buy it now. Very good review, thanks!

Reactions: cmdrdredd

A Casual Fitz

Diamond Member
May 16, 2005
I still have moderate hopes for The Show 22. San Diego Studio is not a massive development team, and the transition not only to Xbox, but a new generation of consoles was probably a huge undertaking in itself. I was underwhelmed by 21 right out of the box, but I look forward to a lot of great content and updates throughout the year.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
I still have moderate hopes for The Show 22. San Diego Studio is not a massive development team, and the transition not only to Xbox, but a new generation of consoles was probably a huge undertaking in itself. I was underwhelmed by 21 right out of the box, but I look forward to a lot of great content and updates throughout the year.

One major change is they will allow you to do RTTS only with a created player. As it stands now RTTS ties into diamond dynasty and you don’t get full progress from simply playing RTTS. An obvious pay to win tactic, trying to push players toward micro transactions inside the diamond dynasty mode.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
I'm a MLBTS junkie. There's no real major changes to '21 except for the cross platform and "create a stadium" (next gen only). Their bread and butter is Diamond Dynasty and (no pun intended) they always hit it out of the park with DD content and gameplay options.

I think your evaluation of SDS and the game is unjustified. You are comparing apples to oranges here. 2K and Madden have infinitely more sales figures and a therefore a WAY bigger budget and staff to make a prettier game. SDS does what they can with the audience and budget they have. The unquestionably put out the best "fantasy team building" game in DD - you can basically get any card you want in the game with NMS. 2K and Madden more or less require you to spend hundreds of dollars to get top tier cards.

They've had A LOT of server issues in these initial launch weeks. Like horrible amounts. It's gotten much better (you can actually play on occasion now)

But the core game is the same as 20... as was 19. 22 I'd imagine will be a major facelift and overhaul as they can focus on next gen systems

otho11

Feb 16, 2011
Have they streamlined the arbitration process in franchise mode?

In 20, you had to tediously make a minimum offer one by one to your pre-arb players

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
I'm a MLBTS junkie. There's no real major changes to '21 except for the cross platform and "create a stadium" (next gen only). Their bread and butter is Diamond Dynasty and (no pun intended) they always hit it out of the park with DD content and gameplay options.

I think your evaluation of SDS and the game is unjustified. You are comparing apples to oranges here. 2K and Madden have infinitely more sales figures and a therefore a WAY bigger budget and staff to make a prettier game. SDS does what they can with the audience and budget they have. The unquestionably put out the best "fantasy team building" game in DD - you can basically get any card you want in the game with NMS. 2K and Madden more or less require you to spend hundreds of dollars to get top tier cards.

They've had A LOT of server issues in these initial launch weeks. Like horrible amounts. It's gotten much better (you can actually play on occasion now)

But the core game is the same as 20... as was 19. 22 I'd imagine will be a major facelift and overhaul as they can focus on next gen systems

I don’t give free passes when you use the same engine over and over and don’t update it past resolution when there is a new hardware platform. Sorry.

I do not care if you are an indie studio with 5 people or a thousand person team developer working for Microsoft studios. I think you are being too soft on them here. Honestly you could have told me it was the 2019 game and I’d believe it.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Have they streamlined the arbitration process in franchise mode?

In 20, you had to tediously make a minimum offer one by one to your pre-arb players

I summed a season and I had to make offers to players who are going to free agency. Not too sure what you mean by tedious.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
I don’t give free passes when you use the same engine over and over and don’t update it past resolution when there is a new hardware platform. Sorry.

I haven't played a modern sports title but the impression I've gotten is that you won't get the graphics improvements until they ditch the previous gen.

Reactions: Homerboy

otho11

Feb 16, 2011
I summed a season and I had to make offers to players who are going to free agency. Not too sure what you mean by tedious.
If you're constantly adding rookies and simming seasons as I tend to do, it gets old having to renew dozens of contracts at the minimum salary every season.