mitx ECS KBN-I/2100 wont fire up, am I doing something wrong?

DesiPower

Lifer
Nov 22, 2008
First time buying mitx, that too its integrated. I out the whole thing in a old desktop box, with a ATX PSU and stick of ram, all from working PC, but it wont fire up. no lights, no beep, nothing. So there something special that needs to be done for these mITX boards, specially these integrated CPU ones? am i missing something? or is it just DoA?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813135364

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Check RAM voltage. At least, for some of the Atom-based barebone / mini-ITX rigs, they required DDR3L (1.35V), and not standard DDR3 (1.5V). Not quite sure if AMD has similar limitations.

But I would try different RAM if you can.

Feb 25, 2011
If it's completely "dead" I wonder if it's shorted against the case. Did you try the board out in the open, on an anti-static mat or something?

Also, are you absolutely sure that PSU is ATX? If you salvaged it from an old prebuilt, I know sometimes they'd wire the PSU differently, even though it used the same 20 or 24 pin connector. Dell and Apple did this for sure, others too maybe. (?)

Last edited:

DesiPower

Lifer
Nov 22, 2008
Check RAM voltage. At least, for some of the Atom-based barebone / mini-ITX rigs, they required DDR3L (1.35V), and not standard DDR3 (1.5V). Not quite sure if AMD has similar limitations.

But I would try different RAM if you can.

Since the board is totally dead, can it really be done?

DesiPower

Lifer
Nov 22, 2008
If it's completely "dead" I wonder if it's shorted against the case. Did you try the board out in the open, on an anti-static mat or something?

Also, are you absolutely sure that PSU is ATX? If you salvaged it from an old prebuilt, I know sometimes they'd wire the PSU differently, even though it used the same 20 or 24 pin connector. Dell and Apple did this for sure, others too maybe. (?)

Well, an old pentium d950 build was using the case and PSU, is assumed it would work. Will definitely try it out of the case, on anti static bag. PSU is not from Dell and kind, but it is OLD... will try a newer one too.

Feb 25, 2011
Oh, I'll mention this because I've done it to myself: make sure the PC is plugged directly into the wall. If you plug a bunch of PCs into a power strip, sometimes the strip won't have the capacity to turn them all on. (Even if the circuit/breaker would support it alright.)

I know, it sounds boneheaded, but it'd never occurred to me before and I spent a couple days swapping PSUs and motherboard before I discovered the issue by accident.

DesiPower

Lifer
Nov 22, 2008
Oh, I'll mention this because I've done it to myself: make sure the PC is plugged directly into the wall. If you plug a bunch of PCs into a power strip, sometimes the strip won't have the capacity to turn them all on. (Even if the circuit/breaker would support it alright.)

I know, it sounds boneheaded, but it'd never occurred to me before and I spent a couple days swapping PSUs and motherboard before I discovered the issue by accident.

Worth a try, will definitely give it a shot. But as I mentioned before, I just swapped the mobo on a working setup. I also tested the PSU with a PSU tester, and it worked.

*Edit* oh and I also manually shorted the power switch pins to rule out that possibility

Last edited:

DesiPower

Lifer
Nov 22, 2008
As per the diagram in the manual, it's on slot 1, but good point, another thing to try

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
I think I read in the manual that a single stick should be in the #2 slot?

Even so, you'd think it would at least try to boot and beep at you or something?

Are there CPU fan pins on the mobo? In some diagrams they seem to be there, so I was wondering if they need a signal?

DesiPower

Lifer
Nov 22, 2008
I would be surprised if a mobo wont boot without a fan... but anything is possible, another thing to try... But yes there are 2, one 3 pin and one 4 pin fan sockets

DesiPower

Lifer
Nov 22, 2008
So it was the PSU. The other PSU is powering ATX mobos just fine but will not work with this mobo. The newer PSU is Antec 400 watt and it worked just fine. I did try with the old PSU outside the case but it did not work, so it's definitely the PSU

So what's the difference? what's is wrong with the older PSU? worried because I ordered a pico ATX adapter something like this (flebay #281808471672 to be precise, if you are interested), hope that one works...