Mitt Romney's surprisingly hilarious speech at the Al Smith dinner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
His speech had it's good moments, but his pandering to the Catholic hosts and audience by making a minispeech on the sanctity of life before birth infruiated me. By well established tradition (going back to at least 1960) there is to be absolutely no politicing at this charity dinner.

BTW, look up Obama's speech at the same dinner. IMO better and less vitriol towards the other side-Willard tended to make his jokes about Biden or Obama.

buckshot24

Diamond Member
Nov 3, 2009
His speech had it's good moments, but his pandering to the Catholic hosts and audience by making a minispeech on the sanctity of life before birth infruiated me. By well established tradition (going back to at least 1960) there is to be absolutely no politicing at this charity dinner.

BTW, look up Obama's speech at the same dinner. IMO better and less vitriol towards the other side-Willard tended to make his jokes about Biden or Obama.
How is it pandering when he has the same exact position?

Smoblikat

Diamond Member
Nov 19, 2011
This is how politics should be. Obama was laughing, but clearly embarassed. but in a good way.

One of my favorites is this:
"In the spirit of sesame street tonights speech is brought to you by the letter O and the number 16 trillion."

thraashman

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
Obama's was funnier to me, and more respectful of his opponent. Romney spent the entire time sans like 2 jokes attacking Obama, Obama mixed in things all around and had more self deprecating humor. Romney's jokes you knew the next joke before he said is. In this, just like in the upcoming election, Obama wins.

Smoblikat

Diamond Member
Nov 19, 2011
Obama's was funnier to me, and more respectful of his opponent. Romney spent the entire time sans like 2 jokes attacking Obama, Obama mixed in things all around and had more self deprecating humor. Romney's jokes you knew the next joke before he said is. In this, just like in the upcoming election, Obama wins.

Its videos like this that give me hope. Hope in the sense that I know the government is killing me and making everything worse, but that its not a conscious effort on their part.

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
I think many of you do not understand the ritual that is the dinner...here it is, straight from the foundation itself:

About the Alfred E. Smith Memorial Foundation Dinner

While commendatory references to Smith and his actions were once common, by chance or by design, many of the addresses at later dinners have taken on a lighter tone. Indeed, the occasion has evolved into something of an opportunity for speakers - particularly ones whose mien is typically quite serious - to show, through quips and slightly irreverent humor, that they can poke fun at a political issue, an opponent, or themselves.
http://www.alsmithfoundation.org/thedinner.html

Northern Lawn

Platinum Member
May 15, 2008

I just watched Obama's speech, not even close in my opinion. Half of Obama's jokes seemed to be inside jokes between him and a few of his friends.

D-Man

Platinum Member
Oct 18, 1999
Why is the pope there though? Screw him. It was not the Pope it was Cardinal Timothy Dolan.

Status
Not open for further replies.