Mitt Romney just announced his exploratory committee.

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
I could see Romney winning the primaries.

skip Iowa (where the religious fundies have an outsized influence) and hope that fringe candidates fracture the vote there (Bachmann, Santorum, Ron Paul), pick up New Hampshire + Nevada, have a strong showing in South Carolina, and then hope the momentum propels him towards some big Super Tuesday pickups.

he might not be able to carry the deep south in the primaries, but that won't matter if he wins the Northeast and West. who are they going to vote for in the general election, Obama? 48% of the country is going to vote for the candidate who has an R next to his/her name regardless of who the actual person is.

much like McCain, he'll need a VP candidate who can appeal to the base in a general election.

really, though, the 2012 is pretty lackluster. unseating a sitting president is hard -- it's what, like 5 presidents ever that have lost their reelection campaigns? it's rough to compete against a guy who gets to have Air Force One fly him anywhere in the world at the drop of a hat, has "Hail to the Chief" playing in the background whenever he walks into a room, and gets to speak from behind the seal of the president.

I'd imagine that any Republican who's already got a job and is young enough to still be relevant in 2016 will be sitting out this year.

Last edited:

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005
His best primary bet is NH. After that, I don't see him winning much of anything. He's not in line enough with the fundy fringe to win Iowa or SC. Can't see NV happening either.

He's the R most likely to do well in the general, but those types don't tend to appeal to the base enough to win primaries.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
His best primary bet is NH. After that, I don't see him winning much of anything. He's not in line enough with the fundy fringe to win Iowa or SC. Can't see NV happening either.

He's the R most likely to do well in the general, but those types don't tend to appeal to the base enough to win primaries.
NV has a huge Mormon population; he won there in 2008, and unless Huntsman splits the vote, he'll probably win there in 2012 too.

he came pretty close to winning FL in 2008 too, even with McCain's headwinds.

Last edited:

zsdersw

Lifer
Oct 29, 2003
Maybe the magic underpants will come through and save Romney from defeat this time around.

soundforbjt

Lifer
Feb 15, 2002
I think the repubs, knowing they will probably lose this one will push Romney or Huckabee and save Pawlenty and Daniels for 2016.

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005
NV has a huge Mormon population; he won there in 2008, and unless Huntsman splits the vote, he'll probably win there in 2012 too.

he came pretty close to winning FL in 2008 too, even with McCain's headwinds.

NV also almost fell for Sharon Angle. That tells me the stupid is heavy there. I'll wait to see if Palin runs before calling that one. If she's in, she takes it. If not, I'd still put Bachmann/Huck as the front runner.

FL I thought about, but isn't moved back now where it will probably be too late to matter?

Cogman

Lifer
Sep 19, 2000
I'll be voting for Ron Paul. Romney isn't a true conservative.

Perhaps not, but he has an excellent track record for turning crappy financial situations around (see 2002 Winter Olympics). "True" conservatives are no more fiscally responsible than "true" liberals. Both shoot for tax and spending policies that have gotten us to the huge deficit we now have.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
I personally think prenatal care and child healthcare should be completely covered by the federal government. If the parents cannot afford it that is
I agree, but it should be a state function, not a federal function.

Er, well, you see Dan Savage, gay sex columnist took issues with Santorum comparing gay marriage to incest, bestiality, etc, and launched a campaign of sorts to exact ironic vengeance. He succeeded. Really, google Santorum. But for the love of god don't click Image Search.
Erp! That's disgusting. Progressives can out-disgusting even the craziest of conservatives.

I was following you right up until "but at least he's not crazy." He certainly says crazy things quite often-all you saying he's like Trump-just spouting nonsense to get publicity?
That was kind of my point. Read my post again, I was specifically saying Santorum has some crazy in him and at least the Messiah (aka Obama, the nice Hussein, Walks-On-Water, etc.) wasn't crazy. Unschooled in reality, certainly. Evil, maybe. Crazy, not so much.

EDIT: Oops, just saw Obama making a speech and realized that I forgot to add TelePresident and President Ping-Pong.

EDIT2: Also The Undecider, Obamination, Obama bin Lyin', D'OHbama, The Fresh Prince of Bill Ayers, Zero, and TROTUS (TelePrompter Reader of the United States.) Take your pick or make your own, it's the game the whole family can play!

Last edited:

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
Erp! That's disgusting. Progressives can out-disgusting even the craziest of conservatives.

To each his own I guess. I find a US Senator using his position to villify millions of people and comparing them to people who fuck animals to be more disgusting. But I'll give you that creative types are generally progressives.

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
Santorum doesn't have a thread and I think him undeserving of one so I'll keep his stuff here where we've been discussing him. The latest fun bit, not particularly substantive tho:

http://politicalwire.com/archives/2011/04/15/santorum_stumbles_over_campaign_slogan.html

Santorum Stumbles Over Campaign Slogan
Speaking in New Hampshire, Rick Santorum was tripped up a bit when a student asked him if he knew that the choice of his campaign slogan, "Fighting to make America America again," was borrowed from the "pro-union poem by the gay poet Langston Hughes," the New Hampshire Union Leader reports.

Said Santorum: "No I had nothing to do with that. I didn't know that. And the folks who worked on that slogan for me didn't inform me that it came from that, if it in fact came from that."

When asked a short time later what the campaign slogan meant to him, Santorum said, "well, I'm not too sure that's my campaign slogan, I think it's on a web site."

Here's the website, you decide:

http://www.ricksantorum.com/explore/

Anarchist420

Diamond Member
Feb 13, 2010
www.facebook.com
All the best Half-Dems do.

Bush, McCain, Romney. The GOP is covered in Neocons due to their electability with moderate and compromising views. I will not vote for another government expanding gun-ho President. I might have just described Obama, but I didn't vote for him either. The Democrats can keep these like-minded 'electable' men.

Throw them out of the GOP, or throw the GOP under the bus. The buck stops here. No more Half-Dems, I want a god damn conservative. I want someone who opposed the 2008 bailouts, who stands by principle and does not fear a free people. Someone who does NOT compromise life, liberty, and pursuit of happiness.

o_O
:thumbsup: