Mitt Romney is a total idiot

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
On ABC?s This Week w George Stephanopoulos, Mitt was so concerned trying to score points slamming Obama on ever issue, that Mitt counterdicted himself constantly, and his views on the issues George brought up made no logical sense.
i.e.
George: Gov healthcare has worked for Medicare and veterans care hasn?t it?
Mitt: Since LBJ signed Medicaid into law, costs rose into the billions.
George: I actually said Medicare, not Medicaid and Medicare has helped eliminate poverty among the elderly.

Mitt refers to his own plan in his state. George points out the costs under Mitt?s state plan has risen faster then the national average healthcare costs per person during 7 of the last 8 years.
Personal note:
I noticed Mitt and republicans constantly refer to the term private insurance.
What they are actually referring to is healthcare for profit.
Healthcare for profit should be eliminated.
Republicans support healthcare for profit. Shameful!

And onto the national security?

George: Your take on Iran?
Mitt: Obama?s statement last week that a robust debate is going on in Iran now proven totally false. The president going around the world pressing an open policy is not working.
George: Others say that Obama?s outreach has led to the elections in Iran, led to Hesbala being defeated in Lebanon?s elections last week, and lead to the out pouring in the streets after Iran?s elections. You dispute that ?

Mitt: Ah, ah, ah I can?t tell you what led to that?

Mitt continued with a series of ah, ah, ah trying to make a coherent statement.

Patranus

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2007
Originally posted by: sportage
Personal note:
I noticed Mitt and republicans constantly refer to the term private insurance.
What they are actually referring to is healthcare for profit.
Healthcare for profit should be eliminated.
Republicans support healthcare for profit. Shameful!

Its a little hard to run a company when that company doesn't turn a profit. Just ask GM.

yllus

Elite Member & Lifer
Aug 20, 2000
You know, there's nothing inherently wrong with offering healthcare services for a fee. The best systems in the world are those that offer no-frills universal healthcare, and then have premium services set up in parallel for those who have the money to spend and wish to jump their place in line in the no-frills system.

Patranus

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2007
Originally posted by: yllus
You know, there's nothing inherently wrong with offering healthcare services for a fee. The best systems in the world are those that offer no-frills universal healthcare, and then have premium services set up in parallel for those who have the money to spend and wish to jump their place in line in the no-frills system.

Can you name one?

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Patranus

Can you name one?

France, Germany, and more.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
Can you name one?

the real question is can you name one. Since you are so sure that it will fail and worse then private insurance you must of done tons of research and weighed all of the variables, right? RIGHT?

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
Mitt Romney is a total idiot
Agreed.
Not to mention a whore of a politician who will sell his beliefs cheap.

Patranus

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2007
Originally posted by: sandorski

Can you name one?

The individual workers is required to pay roughly 21% of their income into the national health care system through a payroll tax. In many cases employers pick up half of that cost - similar to how most employers pick up health insurance in this country. French employers have said that high payroll taxes have constrained their ability to hire more workers.

Restricting the ability of employers to grow sounds exactly like what America needs to do in this economic environment.

The money has to come from somewhere.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Uh isnt the Obama plan somewhat modeled after Romneycare? The govt forces health insurance on people whether it is bought via private insurance or through the govt?

His plan is rising faster than the national avg. Sounds like a winner to me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

brandonbull

Diamond Member
May 3, 2005

Can you name one?

The individual workers is required to pay roughly 21% of their income into the national health care system through a payroll tax. In many cases employers pick up half of that cost - similar to how most employers pick up health insurance in this country. French employers have said that high payroll taxes have constrained their ability to hire more workers.

Restricting the ability of employers to grow sounds exactly like what America needs to do in this economic environment.

Are you saying that employees pay 21% of their income and if they want good care it will cost them extra on top of the 21%? If that is the case, sounds like an awesome deal. Personally, I have way too much disposable income and would like to sign up for that.

I can't sleep at night knowing out there is some poor hardworking illegal immigrant that is doing without health care since they felt the need to come to the US. I bet my 21% could help cure them.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

Can you name one?

Wrong. Germans are required to pay approximately 21% of their income into a social security system, one component of which is health care. The other components are a system similar to social security here in the US, unemployment insurance, disability, workman's comp, etc.

Germany and France spend roughly 10% of their GDP on health care, and cover everyone. The US is currently spending about 16% of it's GDP and doesn't come close. For 60% more money per capita we get a crappier system. Sounds like a German or French system is EXACTLY what we need, as our health care costs are strangling our economy.

masteryoda34

Golden Member
Dec 17, 2007
I absolutely disagree with public healthcare, but I really wouldn't mind it as long as I have an OPTION to COMPLETELY OPT OUT. I don't want to pay for it in my taxes, and I will be completely willing to pay for health services myself or purchase insurance at fair market values. Since the government system will be so wonderful, opting out couldn't possibly be an issue, right?

Also, please let me know where I can opt out of social security. I would very much like to have a 14% increase in after tax earnings.

EDIT: It would actually be impossible to truely opt out because a person could never avoid the inflation tax created by the Federal Reserve and deficit spending required to fund such a program.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Originally posted by: eskimospy

Can you name one?

Wrong. Germans are required to pay approximately 21% of their income into a social security system, one component of which is health care. The other components are a system similar to social security here in the US, unemployment insurance, disability, workman's comp, etc.

Germany and France spend roughly 10% of their GDP on health care, and cover everyone. The US is currently spending about 16% of it's GDP and doesn't come close. For 60% more money per capita we get a crappier system. Sounds like a German or French system is EXACTLY what we need, as our health care costs are strangling our economy.

I thought percent of GDP numbers didn't mean anything to you?

oh yeah, that was when talking about defense cause it would shoot your position to hell. damn what was i thinking.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Originally posted by: masteryoda34
I absolutely disagree with public healthcare, but I really wouldn't mind it as long as I have an OPTION to COMPLETELY OPT OUT. I don't want to pay for it in my taxes, and I will be completely willing to pay for health services myself or purchase insurance at fair market values. Since the government system will be so wonderful, opting out couldn't possibly be an issue, right?

Also, please let me know where I can opt out of social security. I would very much like to have a 14% increase in after tax earnings.

EDIT: It would actually be impossible to truely opt out because a person could never avoid the inflation tax created by the Federal Reserve and deficit spending required to fund such a program.

You won't be able to opt out because when you are without insurance and in a car wreck we'll still pay to patch you back up. You are already being taxed every day in the products you buy in order to pay for others' health care. If you wanted to opt out you missed the boat by a century or so.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Originally posted by: lupi

Can you name one?

I thought percent of GDP numbers didn't mean anything to you?

oh yeah, that was when talking about defense cause it would shoot your position to hell. damn what was i thinking.

/facepalm

Defense spending as a percentage of GDP isn't a good indicator of the strength of armies or the requirements of a country for its army. Defense spending is mostly important relative to what other countries spend on it, ie: if we spend 1% of our GDP on defense and Somalia spends 10% of its GDP on defense, our army is still going to be way better because our GDP is so much larger. A far more telling figure is total dollar amounts.

Health care requirements and costs are NOT important based upon the spending of other countries, so that's why the % of GDP is meaningful.

This isn't hard.

masteryoda34

Golden Member
Dec 17, 2007

You won't be able to opt out because when you are without insurance and in a car wreck we'll still pay to patch you back up. You are already being taxed every day in the products you buy in order to pay for others' health care. If you wanted to opt out you missed the boat by a century or so.

Well, you didn't really answer the question. Can I opt to continue exactly as I am now after the new system takes effect?

n yusef

Platinum Member
Feb 20, 2005

Well, you didn't really answer the question. Can I opt to continue exactly as I am now after the new system takes effect?

With Obama's proposal, yes.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
He's like a Northern, Mormon flavored GWB who is fluent in English. Wow.

Anyway, this kinda falls in line with what I've already felt about the man. "Nothing to see here." His "slimy used car salesman" rating is off the charts btw!

masteryoda34

Golden Member
Dec 17, 2007
Originally posted by: n yusef

With Obama's proposal, yes.

I'll hold you to that. Deal?

SickBeast

Lifer
Jul 21, 2000
What does the average American pay in taxes? In Canada it's around 40-44% of their income.

Then we just need to know how much the average American pays for heathcare, even if their employer pays it, because that amount could be added to their salary if the government were paying for it. I have a feeling that Canadians might come out ahead, with a better education system to boot.

NeoV

Diamond Member
Apr 18, 2000
where did this Patranus guy come from?

well done Eskimo, Lupi and the new guy owned in the same thread

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
If nothing else, Mitt Romney has a giant political problem with the religious right.

When he ran for Pres on the GOP ticket in 2008, rather than run on his solid record as a moderate governor of a blue State, he totally reinvented himself to pander to the religious right. And while someone like me considers the Morman faith as just another Christian faith, it was soon apparent that Morman just did not cut it with the religious right. And rather than support Romney and his buy the election money, the religious right went to an underfunded Huckabee that was the genuine religious right article and always had been. Even Guilaini got more religious right support than pore ole Mitt.

If Romney had run on his record as a moderate governor, he might have stood a much better chance in the GOP primaries of 2008, but everyone knew a reinvented phony when they saw it, and now Romney is simply damaged goods climbing on the me too bash everything Obama bandwagon. And by 2012, Mitt will simply be too old.

smashp

Platinum Member
Aug 30, 2003

Ill Tell You how to Opt out...... Burn your Passport and GTFO

Feb 19, 2001
Originally posted by: smashp

Ill Tell You how to Opt out...... Burn your Passport and GTFO

Oh come on, investing in SS and Medicare is a NEGATIVE return. If you look at the ROI, I'll get a better rate throwing it in some online savings bank like ING or whatever. Seriously, SS is a scam that loses to inflation too. If you think of it, the government is taking your money and throwing a chunk of it away.

If given the option to opt out, the government should cut all liability away and if you screw yourself over by investing in Wamu and watch the stock tank to 0, then that's your fault. You should be able to sign some crap allowing you to opt out or in. You can opt back in if you failed after opting out, but once again, you can only get what you put in. End of story.

That would be awesome. Now as for health insurance.... it's trickier because like all insurance, you're not paying for yourself unless something happens to you, so no matter what you're getting a negative return. If there is to be UHC, I would like to be able to opt out not because I don't want to pay for others but because I'd rather pay for a better system.... unless of course somehow the US UHC beats all the private care I can get right now. But the government should act like a health insurance company. It should be fighting Kaiser, United, Anthem, Metlife, etc. just like the USPS is fighting FedEx and UPS (except we throw billions away at the USPS to keep it alive because it can't even sustain itself)