Mitt Romney exploits the death of a Navy seal.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
According to the mother of former Navy Seal Glen Doherty killed in the attack at Benghazi.

Doherty's mother, though, is accusing Romney of exploiting her son's death for political purposes. "I don't trust Romney," Barbara Doherty told NBC's Boston affiliate. "He shouldn't make my son's death part of his political agenda. It's wrong to use these brave young men, who wanted freedom for all, to degrade Obama

Romney in an attempt to make himself appear more human told the following story...
Mitt Romney teared up at a recent campaign appearance when he shared the story of meeting one of the two former Navy SEALs killed in the Sept. 11 assault on the U.S. consulate in Benghazi

Looks like the family taking more control of the campaign has made the decision to soften Mitt up. However Glen's mother called Mitt on his crocodile tears.

http://theweek.com/article/index/234621/is-mitt-romney-exploiting-the-death-of-a-former-navy-seal

buckshot24

Diamond Member
Nov 3, 2009
Obama's administration denied the security to the consulate that they were asking for. I think it is perfectly fine to degrade Obama in this case.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Obama's administration denied the security to the consulate that they were asking for. I think it is perfectly fine to degrade Obama in this case.

You repeat the accusations of Issa as if they were fact, as if he ever says anything truly factual...

Theb

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2006
The deaths were a tragedy and everyone trying to use the incident as a political football disgust me.
-The administration for pretending it was all about a film at first (on 9 fucking 11)
-Mitt for issuing his stupid press release (and his I'm-a-smug-asshole press conference)
-Republicans for monday-morning-quarterbacking the security (protip: every terrorist attack ever was a security fuck up)
-Democrats for claiming budget cuts caused the security fuck-up (just STFU)
-Mitt for his new 'someone I talked to one time died' sound bite
-I'm sure there's stupid shit I forgot (thankfully)

And all of you assholes posting this inane shit trying to score political points. God knows WTF you're trying to accomplish. People died. People much, much better than you.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999

Lemme see...

The Weekly Standard pandering... Check.

An account of the actual events... Check, and so what?

An account of Issa's abilities wrt distortion & partisan pandering... Check.

All of which is intended to support Mitt's crocodile tears, as if the smug self satisfaction on his face when he left the lectern after his original attack doesn't tell the whole story... Check.

94622514-mitt-romney.jpg

Mitt would eat live babies onstage if he thought that would put him into the Oval Office...

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Before we go quoting Issa charges as fact let's hear from actual congressman on embassy security

http://thinkprogress.org/security/2012/10/10/985191/chaffetz-absolutely-funding-embassy-security/

Rep. Jason Chaffetz (R-UT) said today that he voted to cut funding for U.S. embassy security amid political attacks from Republicans that the Obama administration did not do enough to secure the U.S. diplomatic mission in Benghazi, Libya that was attacked last month

O’BRIEN: Is it true that you voted to cut the funding for embassy security?

CHAFFETZ: Absolutely. Look, we have to make priorities and choices in this country.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Another sleazy move by a sleazy guy. Let's just be glad he didn't go full Fox "News" and actually photo ID one for retribution.

I'm not going to point a finger in blame for the attack on the consulate. I strongly disagree with basing defense decisions on appearances. That's some PC bullshit completely out of character for that location and it's recent history. I will also say it sounds rather odd to hear conservatives make this defense strategy argument in lieu of the budget for such things being slashed by House Republicans. The same thing they did when Clinton was in office how about that!

Amazing what an election year can do. The last several days I've heard more outrage and scorn from the Limbaugh, Hannity and Beck crowd over this Benghazi consulate than I heard from them about 9/11 or Katrina.

Issa is a douche btw...

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
From Homie's link,

"For fiscal 2013, the GOP-controlled House proposed spending $1.934 billion for the State Department’s Worldwide Security Protection program — well below the $2.15 billion requested by the Obama administration. House Republicans cut the administration’s request for embassy security funding by $128 million in fiscal 2011 and $331 million in fiscal 2012. (Negotiations with the Democrat-controlled Senate restored about $88 million of the administration’s request.) Last year, Secretary of State Hillary Clinton warned that Republicans’ proposed cuts to her department would be “detrimental to America’s national security” — a charge Republicans rejected."

It would seem House GOP proved Clinton right. :(

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
The deaths were a tragedy and everyone trying to use the incident as a political football disgust me.
-The administration for pretending it was all about a film at first (on 9 fucking 11)
-Mitt for issuing his stupid press release (and his I'm-a-smug-asshole press conference)
-Republicans for monday-morning-quarterbacking the security (protip: every terrorist attack ever was a security fuck up)

And all of you assholes posting this inane shit trying to score political points. God knows WTF you're trying to accomplish. People died. People much, much better than you.

Brilliant post! Thanks!!

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001

Events like this really highlight how much the rabid, vicious partisanship in this country has broken the political process. Whatever else it was, this was an attack that killed Americans and was possibly preventable. Rather than focusing on mourning the dead and working together to figure out how the prevent such attacks in the future, it IMMEDIATELY turning into a political goat rodeo. Romney definitely started it by going after Obama as soon as he heard about the attack but before he knew any actual facts, but it clearly has not been a one sided issue with Democrats seeming more interested in protecting their political reputation than problem solving. But either way, we have an actual problem that we're completely incapable of intelligently addressing because we're too busy sniping at each other. I'm not at all convinced Republicans or Democrats realize the enemy is anyone but the other party.

Edit: In other words, wasn't it nice when politics stopped at the water's edge?

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
Oh I see, this happened because lack of funding. OK, thanks for clearing that up.

I'm sorry, but the "justification" for the inter-party sniping on both sides sounds incredibly moronic. It would be a LOT more credible if the justification didn't come after (well after, in most cases) the insanely vicious political attacks we've all been subjected to in the media for the past month. Obama's state department denied extra security? Republicans cut funding? In addition to being the worst kind of Monday morning quarterbacking...if those are the reasons for all the political fighting, wtf was everyone going apeshit about BEFORE they came up with those theories?

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
I'm sorry, but the "justification" for the inter-party sniping on both sides sounds incredibly moronic. It would be a LOT more credible if the justification didn't come after (well after, in most cases) the insanely vicious political attacks we've all been subjected to in the media for the past month. Obama's state department denied extra security? Republicans cut funding? In addition to being the worst kind of Monday morning quarterbacking...if those are the reasons for all the political fighting, wtf was everyone going apeshit about BEFORE they came up with those theories?

"past month"? Try the past 40 years. Damn, I even remember the Johnson ad with the girl in the field and the mushroom cloud. So that was closer to 50 years.

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
Oh I see, this happened because lack of funding. OK, thanks for clearing that up.

Amazing. The excuses. Amazing. Just how thick is that excuse notepad?
Just maybe fund cutting does have an negitive impact. Duh?
Leave it up to a republican in congress to twist the facts.
Never seen that before... Now have we?

Or the eye witness at the famed Mitt Romney/navy seal bump in the night.
Where the witness states Mitt re-introduced himself to that navy seal gent several times over during the night. "It was embarrassing to watch Mitt Romney make a fool of himself".

And this is the draft dogging, tax evading, open faced liar 50% of America wants as the next president?
Amazing... Simply amazing...

emperus

Diamond Member
Apr 6, 2012
We have embassies all over the world. There is no way every embassy can be built or operate like a fortress. Terrorism is not an army, but a tactic. And as long as we continue things like drone attacks at weddings, we'll continue to have more issues in the middle east. Look, how the hammer has worked out for the Israelis.

zsdersw

Lifer
Oct 29, 2003

This, 100%.

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
Who cares what the guys mother thinks? Mitt just related his own experience. Whether some leftist likes him or not for doing it is not relevant.

zsdersw

Lifer
Oct 29, 2003
Who cares what the guys mother thinks? Mitt just related his own experience. Whether some leftist likes him or not for doing it is not relevant.

I think you'll find the mother's opinion matters more to more people than Romney's experience with the guy.

sunzt

Diamond Member
Nov 27, 2003

Yeah screw the dead SEAL's mom. This is fkin merika. I'll talk about any dead SEAL to use a political tool regardless of family wishes as I want!

Of course if it was Obama in the title rather than Romney, you'd be making a 180 on your statement.

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
Yeah screw the dead SEAL's mom. This is fkin merika. I'll talk about any dead SEAL to use a political tool regardless of family wishes as I want!

Of course if it was Obama in the title rather than Romney, you'd be making a 180 on your statement.

How about the dead ambassadors mom? You know the one that's getting stonewalled by the Obama administration? Getting stonewalled like the press and the American public on the facts. What about the American public's right to know what the hell happened?

Little Sunny says "but that's diff'rent, You leave my Obama alone!"

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008

Funny, at least one republican senator voted against increasing funding for embassy security and then tries to turn around and use it as an campaign attack. Fucking sick.

Even sicker is that people will defend politicians like that in these forums because they can't stand the President.

Last edited: