Mitsubishi isn't selling cars because their commercials are depressing.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

TuffGuy

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2000
Originally posted by: ultimatebob
Yeah, their new commercials are kinda lame. The one with the guy repeating his shopping list over and over again is particularly annoying! The new Lancer Evolution VIII and the Pre-2000 Eclipse's are still cool cars, though.

the turbo is dead and gone. you wont see it in an eclipse again, 'cause no one bought them in the first place!
everyones bitchin' about the lack of a turbo as though that somehow makes the car less of an automobile or something.
frankly, give me the torque of a large displacement v6 anyday over the peaky power delivery of a turbo car.
this car is EXACTLY what the marketplace demands. which is why sales doubled.
if you want a peaky little japanese rocket, you can buy the EVO parked right next to the eclipse on the showroom floor.

some information for everyone..... at one time, nearly every car mitsu sold was available turbocharged. cordias, tredias, mirages, galants, eclipses, starions, 3000 gts, etc.etc.
guess what? no one bought them. even when the eclipse was at its turbo'ed peak, they never sold more than 10 percent with turbos on them.
so now mitsu gives the majority of the public what it wants, and is chastised and called "sell outs" by the people that probably have never owned a new turbo eclipse.

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
Originally posted by: boyRacer
... i think their cars are boring and lifeless... shouldve brought the Galant VR4 over here and the Lancer EVO V and VI... :D

Galant VR4 did make it over here. I see one cruising around my neighborhood sometimes. Granted, they didn't make it over in large numbers.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Skoorb, you talking about Contemporary Mitsubishi?
Yep, that's the one :) "Wake up and drive...wake up and drive...spirited cars for spiritied people...contemporary mitsubishi...YEAH!"
guess what? no one bought them
Uh, people still aren't buying mitsubishis :)

kranky

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Just read an article the other day about Mitsubishi. They have been marketing the Eclipse heavily to 20-somethings, pushing the zero-down, zero-interest loans. Turns out they have had to eat nearly a half-billion dollars in losses due to loan defaults.

They targeted the "slacker" market, and I guess they found out why no one else did.

KokomoGST

Diamond Member
Nov 13, 2001
Other than the Lancer Evolution, there isn't a single new car Mitsu has in the states that I'd admit to having.

That being said... the Evo's interior is totally cookie cutter commuter car. But the 350Z's is overdone. At least the EVO isn't tiring to drive fast... the 350Z takes some serious effort to drive fast... too much for what it repays you with.

An EVO with a simple exhaust and boost controller will RAPE a 350Z... 4G63T > VQ35DE... and we only got a few Galant VR4s in the early nineties. They made more VR4s in Japan with later model Galants that we never saw. I prefer the smaller 90s VR4 anywho.

zCypher

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2002
Skoorb, typical nissan fanboy !! :p

anyway the other night my friend and I were driving around in his ralliart and there's some guy wimming in a maxima.. 2003 model i think.. i thought those were supposed to be pretty fast, or maybe i was just brainwashed by skoorb's nissan fanboism :p

anyway it was obvious this guy was trying .. we're just driving normally, and i guess the fartlike sound of the ralliart attracts attention, cause two seconds after the stop, we hear a squeel from the maxima.. so my friend figures, why not? :p he just goes ... the maxima never actually caught up to us.. obviously frustrated/embarrassed, the guy kept trying at each stop! i thought that he'd at least be able to keep up or pull ahead one time, maybe he got a bad start or something.. i'm nto sure if it was auto or manual but still, either way..aren't maximas 240-260hp depending on the year? that's quite a bit of power.. the ralli only has 162hp and although not as heavy as the maxima, it's not super light either at just under 3000lbs.

so either this guy sucked at driving or his maxima sucked.. it was pretty funny later, at the light we were turning opposite ways.. he didn't look over at us :p he looked pretty nervous/upset though. i guess he thought his maxima could take pretty much anything on the road, or he didn't know what the ralliart was?

heh :p

I used to own a Mitsubishi expo lrv sport.

It still ran perfect with 300,000+ miles on it. Until some drunk guy plowed into it.