Mississippi welfare goes to ~ Brett Favre!

Dave_5k

Golden Member
May 23, 2017
Mississippi, the poorest state in the nation, with nearly 20% of the residents living in poverty, takes federal welfare assistance and directs it to ... no-bid, unmonitored non-profits with connections to the state DHS director. And not surprisingly, the funds were not exactly spent wisely, with large sums directed to themselves and to other "poor" folks such as $1 million paid to Brett Favre and nearly $4 million to a WWF wrestler for motivational speeches - which would have been wildly inappropriate misuse of funds, but even worse, those speeches apparently never even occurred.
Meanwhile, a grand total of less than $2 million was actually disbursed to needy families according to welfare guidelines (3% of funds). And after this mess, they had to spend $2.1 million just for an audit to partially figure out where all the money was stolen off to.

Sunburn74

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2009
More conservative grifters...
Nah its a matter of priorities.
Improving the state, its operating practices, and outcomes for its people? Nah lets not do any of that.
Temporarily shut down abortions and piss of libs whilst getting engaged in lengthy million dollar lawsuits that likely will result in court losses? Yeah sign us up!

Reactions: Muse

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003

Its funny they arent penalizing him a dime. They are only asking for the original amount.
By the time they actually get it back from him they will be in the hole for a hundred grand.

I just paid a 21 dollar convenience fee for a hundred dollar parking ticket, to pay online with a credit card.

• Wow
Reactions: DarthKyrie

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
and right next door is Alabama to took funds dedicated for COVID rescue and redirected it to build new prisons.

gotta love the south

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
That right there is what's called standard operating procedures in an authoritarian state, a fascist state to put it mildly where the have's are few, the have not's are many and everybody's happy because the totalitarian in charge is a Republican.

Reactions: Muse

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
Shocker.

When's the move?

That state needs all the tax payer assistance it can get to hold down that 49th Overrall ranking. Hope you don't need much in the way of healthcare.
Move is in 14 months give or take. Unless the economy totally crashes, then I'll be stuck in this over crowed dump for the rest of my life.
I checked into health care when I went to look around, they have a real hospital with indoor plumbing and the doctor wasn't wearing overalls! Also, the local shaman is apparently pretty good with charms and spells, so I think I'm covered.
I'm a little concerned about the lack of five star restaurants in the area I'm looking at, it was almost a deal breaker until I found Scooters BBQ a few miles down the road. Bubba (the matrade) was very helpful and assured me that they could reserve a table on just a few day's notice.
I think it's going to work out.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Population of three million, what's not to love?
As long as my gardener and maid don't chew tobacco, I'll be a happy guy.
As a black man who could be attacked just for jogging in a neighborhood where hoards of crackers don't think I belong, I'll stay here in PA. Close to the populated cities, out of the likes of Berks County.

I wouldn't feel the love you would

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
As a black man who could be attacked just for jogging in a neighborhood where hoards of crackers don't think I belong, I'll stay here in PA. Close to the populated cities, out of the likes of Berks County.

You mean, where the cops shoot you?

Reactions: pcgeek11

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
You mean, where the cops shoot you?
Numbers game. Rural PA at one time had the highest number of militia groups of any state in the country. Where I live there is a decent mix of various ethnicities. Suburbs closer to Philly then Berks.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999

I was looking very hard for any sort of racism, and didn't find much evidence of it. There are a few reminders of a segregated past, and I did find a "blacks only" cemetery, but coming from California, I expected to find overt racism everywhere and never did.

Nov 29, 2006
Time to stop federal welfare to red states. Afterall, they can just pull themselves up by their bootstraps. In fact, stop any federals monies from going to them. That would be one way for the tards of these states to figure out the GOP doesnt know shit. They will come begging to be made blue.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
Time to stop federal welfare to red states. Afterall, they can just pull themselves up by their bootstraps. In fact, stop any federals monies from going to them. That would be one way for the tards of these states to figure out the GOP doesnt know shit. They will come begging to be made blue.
Wouldn't it be great if we could punish them for their beliefs? We should be able to force those idiots to live the way they're told to.

Reactions: pcgeek11

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
I was looking very hard for any sort of racism, and didn't find much evidence of it. There are a few reminders of a segregated past, and I did find a "blacks only" cemetery, but coming from California, I expected to find overt racism everywhere and never did.
Take it from me, it's like being a guy looking for overt sexism. You are less likely to see it even in it's presence.

I told the story here a few months ago of working in West Va going to pickup food from a BBQ joint and stench of racism permeated the air. You likely would have missed it.