Question Missing thermal pads?

Zoozuu

Oct 21, 2020
Heyo anyone have this problem? I have a evga card which I've used for a while. A Evga Nvidia 1660 ti. It's missing it's thermal pads. All of them. This is a retail card not a second hand.
Edit: anyone know where I'm supposed to get usable thermal pads?

Last edited:

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
Just to be clear, are you saying you disassembled the heat sink assembly to look underneath it? Was it having any cooling issues before you disassembled it?

Typically the GPU itself will have heatsink compound. The only place pads are typically used is on the memory modules.

SKORPI0

Lifer
Jan 18, 2000
So I'm assuming that the thermal pads as shown in this video are missing? What made you dissemble the card in the first place? Higher than normal temps?

Last edited:
Reactions: aigomorla

Zoozuu

Oct 21, 2020
I disassembled it to clean the fans and heatsink. When it was in my case it would get hot. I'm not sure about the thermal details about the memory on the GPU itself though. It may of been overheating the whole time I was using it I'm not sure. I know the GPUs hotspot was fairly high and I was getting fairly bad performance while it was in my case but my motherboard was also defective.. Outside my case using it with my nuc I'm getting better performance but I'm going to sandwich a thermal pad and some copper as a thermal pad replacement. The themal pads that are missing are somewhat thick. One being around 8mm I think.

EDIT: oh also its a evga 1660 ti sc ultra

EDIT: anyone know the actual size of the pads? I believe my card has been winding up its fans constantly because of this..

heres a video that shows the thermal pads missing. this video is for the super but mine is not the super it still has the same pads as the super. here at about 3:30

EDIT: ew it says 9.5mm.. heres a similar video..here

Last edited:

Leeea

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2020
The EVGA SC 1060 models did not have thermal pads on the RAM or VRM which made for very high temperatures on the latter. That line was infamous for that. It doesn't surprise me they cheaped out on the SC 1660 models at all.
EVGA trying to crap on their own brand?

That is bonkers! They trying to make Zotac look good?

I had no idea EVGA would ever do something like that. Why take a premium brand name and drag it through the mud?!

Going to eye EVGA much more suspiciously from here on out, and not just their GPUs. Bought their power supplies for years, and definitely going to check out the competition next time around.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Heyo anyone have this problem? I have a evga card which I've used for a while. A Evga Nvidia 1660 ti. It's missing it's thermal pads. All of them. This is a retail card not a second hand.
Edit: anyone know where I'm supposed to get usable thermal pads?

Was it sealed?
Which store did you buy it from.

Contact EVGA and ask directly.
EVGA won't get mad at you for heatsink removal, they are one of the only AIB's which allow it.
If you didn't have thermal pads, they will probably send you a set over the mail.
Tell them the GPU was reporting high temps on GPU-Z which lead you to take the heatsink off for inspection.

But im fairly sure the 1660ti should have thermal pads.
All my 1660 Supers had thermal pads on the Ram, and im sure the Ti versions use the same heat sink.

The EVGA SC 1060 models did not have thermal pads on the RAM or VRM which made for very high temperatures on the latter. That line was infamous for that. It doesn't surprise me they cheaped out on the SC 1660 models at all.

Did you watch the video above...
It clearly shows Thermal Pads.
Please don't confuse the OP more then he is.
Incase you missed it, here it is again.

So I'm assuming that the thermal pads as shown in this video are missing? What made you dissemble the card in the first place? Higher than normal temps?

@Zoozuu Get in contact with EVGA support.
Let them know your issue.
They will MAIL you a set if you really didn't get thermal pads if you got the card from an authorized vendor.

If you got it on EBAY or a non authorized, its not NEW then i bet.
It was probably mined on, they cleaned it up as best as they could, and discarded the pads.

Eitherway EVGA also sells thermal pad replacements, if they wont just give them to you.
or you can ask them what size you need to buy on amazon, and they will disclose it for you.
Or watch the video Skorpio linked. Im sure Steve took thickness measurements.

You can get thermalpads on Amazon.
You want a 12 W/mk range pad, as those are the most ideal.
Try to stay close to that number... the lower is less performance... higher is like paste material, not good to work with.

Last edited:

John Carmack

Sep 10, 2016
Was it sealed?
Which store did you buy it from.

Contact EVGA and ask directly.
EVGA won't get mad at you for heatsink removal, they are one of the only AIB's which allow it.
If you didn't have thermal pads, they will probably send you a set over the mail.
Tell them the GPU was reporting high temps on GPU-Z which lead you to take the heatsink off for inspection.

But im fairly sure the 1660ti should have thermal pads.
All my 1660 Supers had thermal pads on the Ram, and im sure the Ti versions use the same heat sink.

Did you watch the video above...
It clearly shows Thermal Pads.
Please don't confuse the OP more then he is.
Incase you missed it, here it is again.

@Zoozuu Get in contact with EVGA support.
Let them know your issue.
They will MAIL you a set if you really didn't get thermal pads if you got the card from an authorized vendor.

If you got it on EBAY or a non authorized, its not NEW then i bet.
It was probably mined on, they cleaned it up as best as they could, and discarded the pads.

Eitherway EVGA also sells thermal pad replacements, if they wont just give them to you.
or you can ask them what size you need to buy on amazon, and they will disclose it for you.
Or watch the video Skorpio linked. Im sure Steve took thickness measurements.

You can get thermalpads on Amazon.
You want a 12 W/mk range pad, as those are the most ideal.
Try to stay close to that number... the lower is less performance... higher is like paste material, not good to work with.

Haha whatever man. Blame EVGA. They allegedly have different hardware revisions floating around with and without pads on the SC 1060's. Tom's reviewed an SC card without them. Some people claimed their cards had them but I acquired one late in the cycle in 2018 and they did not.

The great EVGA didn't put in pads on 1070's and 1080's but gave them out freely but were reluctant to send out thermal pads for the 1060 unless you really pestered them. They said of the ACX coolers on the 1070's and 1080's that it was an oversight. I have never seen an equivalent statement on their SC 1060's. Obviously they feel 120W TDP don't need the extra cooling.

Zoozuu

Oct 21, 2020
I got it off Newegg. (not 3rd party) I'm going to contact evga but I don't think I'm going to put that huge thermal pad in my graphics card. I'm going to jam in copper shims and a thermal pad in between with thermal paste and maybe a heat pipe. 9.5mm of thermal pad! I guess I better keep my voice down or I'll scare any closeby gpus or little igpu egpu..thank you for the info I'll probably just ask them for thermal paste or replacement fans. :)

Reactions: Leeea

aigomorla

Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
The great EVGA didn't put in pads on 1070's

Which 1070 are you talking about?

Clearly shows thermal pads.

The 1080 here also shows thermal pads:

They are located under the black plate.
They are actually one of the premium AIB's, one of the ONLY GPU AIB's i trust.
Also they are the ONLY AIB which allows you to change the heatsink to a waterblock and not wreck your RMA / Warranty.

I got it off Newegg. (not 3rd party) I'm going to contact evga but I don't think I'm going to put that huge thermal pad in my graphics card. I'm going to jam in copper shims and a thermal pad in between with thermal paste and maybe a heat pipe. 9.5mm of thermal pad! I guess I better keep my voice down or I'll scare any closeby gpus or little igpu egpu..thank you for the info I'll probably just ask them for thermal paste or replacement fans. :)

Contact Customer Support.
Tell them exactly what i stated above.
You saw your GPU reporting very high temps, you took it apart and there were no thermal pads.
As i said eVGA allows heatsink disassembly, as long as you didn't physically damage it, they honor RMA's most of the time. (US Division)
They also supply @ request replacement pads for GPU.
You might get it sent to you for free, or they might charge you a little bit for replacements.

And i think you got the 9.5mm wrong.... i think its 9.5mm wide and not think, as that would be one hell of a thick pad.
They are at most 2.5mm thick.... typically around 2mm.
I usually use a copper shim if they are 2mm thick... i will use a 1.3mm thick copper shim, and a .5mm thick pad, and my memory temps are lower then my core temps when mining on the cards.

But YMMV, all my cards i mine on, have a copper shim if the pad is that thick.

Last edited:

aigomorla

Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Holy cow that is a thick arrangement.
I would definitely sandwitch a copper 2mm thick copper shim followed by a 2mm thermal pad.

I need to fill 8.6mm
I would probably use ram heat sinks like these

And see if you still get enough clearance under the heatsink for a good die contact on that plate, and ditch the thermal pads entirely.

Last edited:

John Carmack

Sep 10, 2016
Which 1070 are you talking about?

Clearly shows thermal pads.

The 1080 here also shows thermal pads:

They are located under the black plate.
They are actually one of the premium AIB's, one of the ONLY GPU AIB's i trust.
Also they are the ONLY AIB which allows you to change the heatsink to a waterblock and not wreck your RMA / Warranty.

Good question. What are you talking about?

It's funny that they have 1060 cards in their affected list but the SC 1060 card that I have isn't on there despite not having any interface between the cooler and VRMs and no airflow between fan and VRM thanks to the copper heatpipes blocking it.

Zoozuu

Oct 21, 2020
so annoying. before I bought this card i didnt think I would have to keep an eye on what a manufacture did with thermal pads or the location and arrangement of the heatsink.. I'll post a pic of my flower arrangement on fri/sat when I get my heatpipes. I'm probably going to be bored so I may go all madmax and put heatpipes an shims all over the place. I could probably just put a stack of shims in and it would be fine. also I bought a friend one of these cards so I may have to do this twice. lol